Realistic Expectations the rest of the year?

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am a new poster to this board and to this website after being a long time reader of over 7 years. Anyways I have a question for everyone. What are some realistic expectations the rest of the season. I have been pondering this all day and haven't been able to come up with questions. And when I ask people around me all they say is miss the playoffs and tank for a good draft pick! Is that even practical?? I don't, this is a very important season for the Senators and a very important year of development for this team and players such as Zibad, Silf, Turris, Wierchoich etc. And a season to continue to build the hockey program in Ottawa from the minors up!

But what do you guys think are realistic expectations now that Spezza and Cowen are done for the season which Cowen was a while ago. How does everyone think we are going to finish? All go on first and say I do believe we are going to miss the playoffs, have trouble scoring goals some games, have alot of adversity etc. Its all in retrospect with a young inexperienced team, and if we make a trade it will be to sell to me if we continue to lose. If we are in the playoff race don't expect anything to big, Murray won't and will not compromise the future unless it can help for the long term.

And I have a question, if Murray made the trade with Columbus which he could of if Nash said yes, would you guys have traded Zibad, Lehner, Foligno and a first. All be honest! I would have jumped off the roof if that trade was made. Zibad Lehner will be so prolific and prudent for the future, the first would have costed us big time especially in such a deep draft, etc. It would of inflated our farm system and Nash alone wouldn't of made this team better. What are your thoughts ??

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Likely to be an up and down struggle to make the playoffs this year. When healthy this is one of the top 10 teams in the league however, there's a few main pieces missing. They'll be in the picture and we'll get to see some good hockey, should be interesting to watch.

General Granny*

I still think we will make the playoffs.

This board is just bipolar over a 2 game skid where we lost by one goal in both and got crapped on by the refs.

I think DaCosta is going to establish himself as a #2 center in this league and will help with our offence.

Wiercioch looks to be getting better and better each game, not worried about the defence either

take a peek

Mar 4, 2007
Continue mid-era of the rebuild.

Fighting for a playoff spot.

The team playing hard and exciting brand of hockey.

Growth of younger/new players.

Continued dominance by one of if not the NHL most exciting players. Karlsson.

If we are out of the playoff picture.... trading away a player or two for prospect/picks.

Look to sign a younger/ish but proven UFA or two this summer to gear up to contend.

source

Jul 13, 2008
With Spezza out I think we'll be a .500 hockey club and either squeeze into the 6th-8th seed or just miss out at 9-11.

This. And if we miss, we'll win the lottery. But somehow, the refs will decide there was goalie interference and draw another ball.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Continue mid-era of the rebuild.

Fighting for a playoff spot.

The team playing hard and exciting brand of hockey.

Growth of younger/new players.

Continued dominance by one of if not the NHL most exciting players. Karlsson.

If we are out of the playoff picture.... trading away a player or two for prospect/picks.

Look to sign a younger/ish but proven UFA or two this summer to gear up to contend.

The one problem is that Ottawa missed the key era of a rebuild: Draft elite top 5 talent.

Realistically I see this team struggling like any team would with several key players out injured. We'll see how Da Costa plays up with the big club, and then Murray has some decisions to make.

If Da Costa plays well and Ottawa gets back into things then go for it. Hopefully when Spezza gets back the team is flying going into the post season.

If Da Costa doesn't play well then Ottawa either needs to trade for help or continue stripping down non long-term pieces for help down the road.

Either way things play out I am still sitting on the "ain't even mad" side of the fence. This was suppose to be a three year process, so for now I am content to sit back and watch how that turns out. Just wait until Alfredsson, Phillips, Gonchar, and possibly Spezza(UFA) are gone over the next two years and people will see that building a solid foundation now is essential to the team's future success.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
If this team finished 9th, while missing our best forward and having only 4 legit NHL d-men, I'd consider it a huge plus for the team and the rebuild.

As long as the team remains competitive from night to night, I can't really complain. However, 1 more injury to a key player, and we're done.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
People were giving me hell because I stated we were dressing an AHL caliber team when we won against 3-2 against Washington.

We have been dressing how many players with less than 165 games (2 year)NHL experience? Recently about 13.

Only Turris, Michalek, Phillips, Methot, Karlsson, Anderson and Neil.

Alfie has lost a step.

I know that number of games does not equal skills but teams never bring in that many new guys unless they're rebuilding or have problems with injuries. We're experiencing both at this time.

I hope Da Costa can bring in some skills because Anderson can't score goals.

rbkhockey29

May 3, 2007
Maryland
I think Wiercioch has been outstanding thus far. He gets running around a bit in the D zone but he's getting better and better every day. That pass to Silvf for the break away goal was filthy. Him and Karlsson will be a nice one two punch for years to come.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If we continue to receive above average goaltending, we will remain in the playoff hunt, which I expect to be tight in the 5-10 range. If this is the case, I suspect we'll make the playoffs if we receive no other major injuries to key players. Likely in the 5-7 seed or there abouts. And we'll be a dangerous playoff team if we're more healthy then, than we are now (i.e. Spezza back).

If our goaltending comes back to earth and is only average the rest of the way, we might miss the playoffs.

If Karlsson were to ever get hurt for an extended period of time, we would be a lottery team. Of that, I'm most certain.

Prattalot

Jan 11, 2009
Winnipeg
It is difficult to say...if (big if) things remain as they are now we will likely fight our way into the playoffs. But if Karlsson, Turris or Andy get hurt we're in a world of hurt. There's also a bunch of teams below us in the standings that shouldn't be there by the end of the year that could easily pass us as the season progresses.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Hi everyone,

I am a new poster to this board and to this website after being a long time reader of over 7 years.

Hey, welcome to the boards!

Anyways I have a question for everyone. What are some realistic expectations the rest of the season. I have been pondering this all day and haven't been able to come up with questions. And when I ask people around me all they say is miss the playoffs and tank for a good draft pick! Is that even practical?? I don't, this is a very important season for the Senators and a very important year of development for this team and players such as Zibad, Silf, Turris, Wierchoich etc. And a season to continue to build the hockey program in Ottawa from the minors up!

And you would be right. No organization should ever try to tank. Developing your assets is always better than stagnation, and in the middle of a rebuild, it's important to emphasize this aspect just as much as drafting (a sentiment that is lost on many fans, it seems).

But what do you guys think are realistic expectations now that Spezza and Cowen are done for the season which Cowen was a while ago. How does everyone think we are going to finish? All go on first and say I do believe we are going to miss the playoffs, have trouble scoring goals some games, have alot of adversity etc. Its all in retrospect with a young inexperienced team, and if we make a trade it will be to sell to me if we continue to lose. If we are in the playoff race don't expect anything to big, Murray won't and will not compromise the future unless it can help for the long term.

The expectations should be tempered slightly. At the beginning of the season, most would have pegged us as a fringe playoff team again, perhaps sliding in as a 7th or 8th seed.

I'd pretty much agree with everything you said. Stay the course, let the kids build some chemistry together. I think MacLean is the kind of coach who will keep them engaged and motivated even if we are dropping in the standings. It'll be a good learning curve for a group of guys who have had everything going right for themselves the past few seasons (Calder win in Binghamton, Silfv's SEL championship, Zibby's WJC performance, Karlsson's Norris win, etc).

There's no need to force a move for the sake of competing this year. We're building for 3 years from now. If there is a piece available that will likely be an important player for us in 3 years, by all means I expect Murray to pursue it. If not, I think our moves will be, at best, depth moves to get a few bodies back to Bingo / substitute in to give roster players a breather in a very compressed schedule.

And I have a question, if Murray made the trade with Columbus which he could of if Nash said yes, would you guys have traded Zibad, Lehner, Foligno and a first. All be honest! I would have jumped off the roof if that trade was made. Zibad Lehner will be so prolific and prudent for the future, the first would have costed us big time especially in such a deep draft, etc. It would of inflated our farm system and Nash alone wouldn't of made this team better. What are your thoughts ??

I don't think I would have. As great as Anderson has been, I am a firm believer that Lehner is the goalie of the future in Ottawa. I'm not eager to part with him, especially in a package that would've sent two of our top prospects plus another good prospect and a roster player. We aren't quite at the 'trade quantity for quality' stage.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Realistic expectation in my mind is simply finish out the season and we land where we land. Given all the variables on this year I truly don't believe this season will be a true measuring stick of where we are at as a team. In this season I believe it's anyone's cup to be had. We need to compete night in and night out and at the end of the season we will have a much better idea of where we are and what we need going forward. As far as I am concerned this is year 2 of a rebuild (and no I am not saying this because we lost a couple games, it's just cold hard fact).

We have so many pieces moving forward I think depending on where we draft this year and if we can pick up some quality in the FA department, this team could seriously contend next year. Best case scenario, flop and draft in the top 5 (god how I have dreams of Karlsson and Jones on the point, every time they score they play ebony and ivory).

Anyways just like all the years before I will tune in and watch every game and support the sens however I can. Just gonna have fun the rest of the season and I hope the team is doing the same.

Coles Notes : My expectations are Yay! Hockey is back! Wherever the sens finish I love them.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I hope we have a bad year and get a good pick, but Karlsson still outplays all other D and still wins the Norris.

And we got really lucky getting Anderson and Lehner. Between those 3 we have the elite talent needed going forward.

My expectations are for players like Wiercioch, O'Brien and Silfverberg to improve over the year. I also want to see Boro, Gryba, Zibanejad, Da Costa et al get some games where they play significant roles to get a decent evaluation and eta. I don't expect playoffs but I'm not ruling it out. Murray could make a trade that makes sense or we could have a few players play beyond expectations

Edit: quoted the wrong post, I was responding to whoever brought up the idea that we never got a top 5 talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->