Realignment Thoughts/Predictions

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
What are your predictions/thoughts on how the league should realign for next season? I've seen a lot of rumblings about an all-Canada division, with radically uneven divisions. I can see the pros of an all-Canadian division, but I'd rather not see them go that route. I'd like to see them maintain a nice 8-8-8-8 alignment. Here's what I think they should do. With this alignment, the Atlantic stays intact, all of the teams in the Eastern time zone are in the Eastern Conference, Central/Mountain time zone in the Central, and Pacific time zone in the Pacific.

For the sake of this post, I'm rebranding the relocated Stockton Heat as the Alberta Heat (so they can resurrect the beautiful flaming A logo again!)

Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division
Bridgeport
Charlotte
Hershey
Lehigh Valley
W-B/Scranton
Providence
Hartford
Springfield

North Division
Belleville
Cleveland
Grand Rapids (from Central)
Laval
Rochester
Syracuse
Toronto
Utica

Western Conference
Central Division
Alberta (relocation; from Pacific)
Chicago
Colorado (from Pacific)
Iowa
Milwaukee
Manitoba
Rockford
Texas

Pacific Division
Abbotsford
Bakersfield
Coachella Valley (expansion)
Henderson
Ontario
San Diego
San Jose
Tucson

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
What are your predictions/thoughts on how the league should realign for next season? I've seen a lot of rumblings about an all-Canada division, with radically uneven divisions. I can see the pros of an all-Canadian division, but I'd rather not see them go that route. I'd like to see them maintain a nice 8-8-8-8 alignment. Here's what I think they should do. With this alignment, the Atlantic stays intact, all of the teams in the Eastern time zone are in the Eastern Conference, Central/Mountain time zone in the Central, and Pacific time zone in the Pacific.

For the sake of this post, I'm rebranding the relocated Stockton Heat as the Alberta Heat (so they can resurrect the beautiful flaming A logo again!)

Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division
Bridgeport
Charlotte
Hershey
Lehigh Valley
W-B/Scranton
Providence
Hartford
Springfield

North Division
Belleville
Cleveland
Laval
Rochester
Syracuse
Toronto
Utica

Western Conference
Central Division
Alberta (relocation; from Pacific)
Chicago
Colorado (from Pacific)
Iowa
Milwaukee
Manitoba
Rockford
Texas

Pacific Division
Abbotsford
Bakersfield
Coachella Valley (expansion)
Henderson
Ontario
San Diego
San Jose
Tucson
Swap out Alberta and Tucson and I think you've got it down

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Man I really wish there was a way that Colorado and Grand Rapids were in the same division (purely selfish on my part), but I don't really see a way that happens. With very few exceptions it looks like the divisions should be made up of 8 teams each. But I still wouldn't be surprised if something different didn't shake out

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
North Division
Belleville
Cleveland
Laval
Rochester
Syracuse
Toronto
Utica

If Grand Rapids would move to this division, Detroit should also consider moving that team to Toledo. It would cut their travel to East even more. Also Cleveland would be the huge rival.

Toledo is only 1h drive away from Detroit, when Grand Rapids is 2.5 hours. It's also bigger city than Grand Rapids.

After losing AHL hockey, Grand Rapids could have that ECHL team, which is currently at Toledo. Just swap them.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
If Grand Rapids would move to this division, Detroit should also consider moving that team to Toledo. It would cut their travel to East even more. Also Cleveland would be the huge rival.

Toledo is only 1h drive away from Detroit, when Grand Rapids is 2.5 hours. It's also bigger city than Grand Rapids.

After losing AHL hockey, Grand Rapids could have that ECHL team, which is currently at Toledo. Just swap them.
Don't think the Walleye ownership would be interested in the AHL. He also owns the Mud Hens and, IIRC, he once tried (and failed) to swap AAA and A Tiger affiliates with Grand Rapids and told the local newspaper that Toledoans don't like sports, just spending a night out, and that no one in the area could tell the difference between AAA and A levels of play.

I heard this secondhand, so please correct me if this is inaccurate, but it always sticks in my head when I think about minor league sports in Toledo.

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

and why would Toledo fit in the AHL.... AND since when are the Storm and Griffins owned and/or operated by Detroit, does Columbus own Cleveland.... NOPE..... Cavaliers do, that's why Cleveland is a holdout when the master schedule is released annually, because Monsters dates cannot coincide w/ Cavalier dates or any other event The arena chooses to hold ie concerts/trade shows, etc....

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad