Rumor: Realignment coming for 2021 season due to Covid?

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Interesting! It would be nice to play Chicago a few more times a year. Hopefully it doesn’t mess with the time change too much. Although, I imagine that’s only really a factor when DET travels out west which isn’t likely if they go this route.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So there's 7 teams in Canadian Division?

1. Toronto
2. Winnipeg
3. Edmonton
4. Vancouver
5. Calgary
6. Montreal
7. Ottawa

Did put them on "contender" order.

And Three 8-team American Divisions.

South-West Division
1. Vegas
2. Colorado
3. Dallas
4. St. Louis
5. Arizona
6. LA Kings
7. San Jose
8. Anaheim

Central Division
1. Tampa Bay
2. Columbus
3. Carolina
4. Nashville
5. Minnesota
6. Florida
7. Chicago
8. Detroit

Atlantic Division
1. Philadelphia
2. Pittsburgh
3. Boston
4. NY Islanders
5. Washington
6. Buffalo
7. NY Rangers
8. New Jersey

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So there's 7 teams in Canadian Division?

1. Toronto
2. Winnipeg
3. Edmonton
4. Vancouver
5. Calgary
6. Montreal
7. Ottawa

Did put them on "contender" order.
I think Vancouver will top that list sooner rather than later.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think Vancouver will top that list sooner rather than later.

Yeah, they will be good.

Getting Schmidt and Edmonton losing Klefbom to injuries, that could swap the positions.

But Winnipeg is very strong, only representative from the Central Division. GEtting Statstny back, who was money with Laine. They will be very strong, that 2nd line is a killer again.

1.-2. Toronto/Winnipeg
3.-4.Vancouver/Edmonton

Toronto also made great summer moves. I like them now lot more than in the past. Did sign Simmonds with cheap. 4th line + 1st PP net-front, like Holmström. 2x 3M 3rd line wingers out, replaced with own prospect + minimum salary Vesey = did get 4M cap space for steady Brodie. Best KHL-player Mikko Lehtonen was signed earlier, he plays very much same game as Miro Heiskanen. Experienced RhD and SC winnner Bogosian to 3rd pair. Very stabilizing moves.

Toronto:
LWR Hyman - LC Tavares - RWR Marner
LWL Mikheyev - LC Matthews - RWR Nylander
LWL Robertson - LC Kerfoot - RWL Vesey
LWL Engvall - RC Spezza/ LC Boyd - RWR Simmonds

LD Rielly - RD Bogosian
LD Muzzin - LhD Brodie (shut-down pair)
LD Lehtonen - RD Holl
(LD Dermott)

Goalies (Andersen?)
Campbell

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Not really fair, nearly 60% of Canadian teams will make the playoffs, vs 50% of American teams. There should be less Canadian teams in the the playoffs not more.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not really fair, nearly 60% of Canadian teams will make the playoffs, vs 50% of American teams. There should be less Canadian teams in the the playoffs not more.
The conversation this spun out of also guessed that it would be a tentative and temporary structure for only part of the season. Something like 25 games, then reevaluate based on case numbers, vaccine progress, etc.

For that matter, it was also mentioned that some owners might not want a season at all, if the finances of no fans in the stands takes as heavy a toll as predicted. Who knows what everything will look like by January.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Are you sure? When I look at the standings on TSN and Wikipedia, they have the same divisions as always.

For the purposes of standings, the divisions stayed the same. That said, teams only played within their region regardless of league. So Detroit played AL and NL Central teams only this season. I assume the NHL will be similar. I should have been more clear.

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
Maybe 4 divisions of 6 for the 24 US teams? These are based on geography only and not competitive balance.

SJ/LA/Anaheim/Phoenix/Colorado/Vegas
Dallas/Nashville/Tampa/Florida/Carolina/Washington
Minnesota/Chicago/St. Louis/Detroit/Columbus/Buffalo
Pittsburgh/Philadelphia/Boston/Rangers/Islanders/New Jersey

For the playoffs, top 3 from each US division and top 4 from the Canada division

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Will the Canadian teams only play Canadian teams, Canada is going to love this. Its an interesting format kind of a regional tournament and the winners go to the playoffs.

I am up for whatever I can not imagine trying to come up with a pro sports covid plan but I guess these millionare executives will finally start earning their pay. I think the only thing the NHL is really grossly mishandling is the draft lottery.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Maybe 4 divisions of 6 for the 24 US teams? These are based on geography only and not competitive balance.

SJ/LA/Anaheim/Phoenix/Colorado/Vegas
Dallas/Nashville/Tampa/Florida/Carolina/Washington
Minnesota/Chicago/St. Louis/Detroit/Columbus/Buffalo
Pittsburgh/Philadelphia/Boston/Rangers/Islanders/New Jersey

For the playoffs, top 3 from each US division and top 4 from the Canada division

IMO, the easiest for them would be to keep the current 4 division format, but have all 7 Canadian teams in one, and split the 24 US teams into 3 groups of 8.

You could have the Canadian division take place of the Central, and the 6 US Central teams take the place of Canadian teams that were in the Pacific and Atlantic. (Colorado, Dallas and Minnesota to the Pacific... Chicago, Nashville and St. Louis to the Atlantic.)

They could nix conferences and wild cards for a year and have a 2 round divisional playoff to get to one team from each division, then a two round 1v4/2v3 final with the division winners. That way if it's still necessary, they only have to do a "bubble" (and probably just one) when they get to the last two rounds, which would have players there for 2 weeks to a month at most.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
IMO, the easiest for them would be to keep the current 4 division format, but have all 7 Canadian teams in one, and split the 24 US teams into 3 groups of 8.

They could nix conferences and wild cards for a year and have a 2 round divisional playoff to get to one team from each division, then a two round 1v4/2v3 final with the division winners. That way if it's still necessary, they only have to do a "bubble" (and probably just one) when they get to the last two rounds, which would have players there for 2 weeks to a month at most.
So the division names would be East, Central, West, and Polite?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Any chance the Florida Panthers can just play as the Quebec Nordiques? Since there's no fans, nobody will mind. That can be the 8th Canadian team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad