Are you scared?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'm scared.

In most areas of my life, certainly, but for these purposes I'm specifically referring to the Oilers.

Every person that roots for the team must be thrilled with the Oilers current position in the standings, blown away by the production of McDrai, more than satisfied with goaltending, happy with the new coach and GM, and still shocked (like really, really... really shocked) that our new GM traded a very expensive boat anchor to our division rival for a player that is currently tied for 10th in the league in goals.

The powerplay is currently first in the league at 32.5%, and the penalty kill is second in the league at 87.1%. I've heard coaches say the goal is to have the sum of those percentages be greater than 100%. The Oilers are currently at 119.6%

The team is 17-9-3, good enough for first place in the Pacific Division, which looks to be quite easily the worst division in the league. We've also just passed US Thanksgiving, which historically is somewhat of a significant predictor of playoff teams for the season.

But.....

For some reason, maybe it's just Oilers hockey PTSD... I can't help but also be waiting for the other skate to drop, and can't help be concerned that at some point, we'll be fighting for a wild card spot.

Surely things can't go this smoothly, can they?

Famous last words here

We were 10th, we are now holding down the last wild card spot and I predict by feb 1st we will be further down than that.

December exposed us and killed us.

For me the rest of the year is about working out the kinks and what we have. Trying to move a guy like gagner to open a spot for benson. Waiting for Benning to cine back and decide do we move him or Russell.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The cost to move Neal almost certainly wouldn't be worth it.
Besides, despite his warts, he's still a valuable player - even if he doesn't bring a whole lot 5-on-5, he's likely a 30 goal scorer this year. How do you replace that? And then there's the expansion-draft implications.

Yes, he is an expansiondraft - alibi. So Oilers should keep him. He is a good forchecker too, and can use his big prescence in front of the net. Still a useful player. But I widh his goalscoring was more spread wealth. He often score goals when Oilers has a big lead. Not in the tight games. If Neal had scored in 19 diffrent games had been more apprichiated than scoring hattricks in two - three of them.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Famous last words here

We were 10th, we are now holding down the last wild card spot and I predict by feb 1st we will be further down than that.

For me the rest of the year is about working out the kinks and what we have. Trying to move a guy like gagner to open a spot for benson. Waiting for Benning to cine back and decide do we move him or Russell.

You’re predicting the Oilers will lose ground in the standings when they don’t play for ten days? Did all your insiders tell you this or is this is just another one of your hunches?

Oilers are 2 points out of the division lead and they have 1-2 games in hand on teams.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
You’re predicting the Oilers will lose ground in the standings when they don’t play for ten days? Did all your insiders tell you this or is this is just another one of your hunches?

Oilers are 2 points out of the division lead and they have 1-2 games in hand on teams.
People panic in sports. It’s what they do lol. Oilers have been red hot lately too. Nearly beat Calgary and we would have points in 6 straight. I’m not worried.

Reactions: optimism

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Famous last words here

On the bright side, it's so much more enjoyable watching the recent games than it was watching them during that funk they were in (whatever that was - definitely weird).

Things were looking much worse a couple weeks ago.

Enjoy the game tomorrow!

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013

They could also be out of a playoff spot in about 12 hours from now.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
They could also be out of a playoff spot in about 12 hours from now.

So let me get this straight. In a division where first and fifth are separated by 2 points we could be out of a playoff spot when we have 4 days between games? Because come Saturday they could also be tied for 1st again.

I get it Oilers fans have been badly abused and we always believe it’s going to happen again. And no doubt there still holes to fill and issues to fix but this team has stayed in the fight.

They’re in a great spot heading into the break and it’s really going to be a big test for them because they are notoriously bad when heading into and coming out of breaks. But until they lose those games I’m comfortable with the position the team has put itself in. 2 points out of 1sr with games in hand going into the all star break is about as much as you could ask for this team.

Absolutely huge games coming up against AZ and Lames though so they better be ready to fight for their lives.

Reactions: GOilers88

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
So let me get this straight. In a division where first and fifth are separated by 2 points we could be out of a playoff spot when we have 4 days between games? Because come Saturday they could also be tied for 1st again.

I get it Oilers fans have been badly abused and we always believe it’s going to happen again. And no doubt there still holes to fill and issues to fix but this team has stayed in the fight.

They’re in a great spot heading into the break and it’s really going to be a big test for them because they are notoriously bad when heading into and coming out of breaks. But until they lose those games I’m comfortable with the position the team has put itself in. 2 points out of 1sr with games in hand going into the all star break is about as much as you could ask for this team.

Absolutely huge games coming up against AZ and Lames though so they better be ready to fight for their lives.

My point was only to contrast you saying how close they are to being at the top of the division.

The flip side of that perspective is that they could be out of a playoff spot literally today.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
these next few months are going to be so stressful

we could have run away from all of this if it weren't for the tirefire december

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I for one am proud of this team right now for bouncing back from a lousy December. They’ve exorcised some serious demons of late in a Saturday afternoon game (Boston win), in Toronto, and against Rinne on home ice. Those were 3 surprising wins that tell me this team is not about to lay down and die. Going into this season I had no expectations for playoffs so I’m trying to just enjoy the ride at this point.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I had this team down for 83 points before the season started. I’m loving that we are in the thick of it. Bear emerging has been awesome. Neal over Lucic lolz. PK and PP magic. Better team speed. Yamamoto looks good, much to my surprise. Larsson back to his old self. So many good things plus the continued magnificence of McDavid. So long as the streaky goaltending doesn’t fall off the rails or the injury bug doesn’t bite us hard, we are in a good spot.

Reactions: barry halls

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

From here to Feb 1 most teams around us play 3 games, same as us. Winnipeg is the only team which play 5 games, but two of those games are against Tampa and Boston. CGY, ARI, VAN, EDM, CHI all have 3 games. If we lose ground it's because we are worse than the other teams, not because we have a break.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
My point was only to contrast you saying how close they are to being at the top of the division.

The flip side of that perspective is that they could be out of a playoff spot literally today.
That’s just being contrary for no reason, the time to say that they are out of a playoff spot is I’d the oilers lose those games in hand, being out of a play spot by a few points with games in hand doesn’t change the perspective until those games in hand are lost. Fact is the west is wide open this year and the oilers are in a great spot. 90 percent of this board predicted they would be in last place

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Lost in the angst is that there are only 9 teams in the West realistically involved in the playoff hunt. 4 points separates 2nd and 9th. In order to lose your positioning, someone has to take it. The Blackhawks are 10th, have won 7 out of their last 10 and have only gained 2 points on a 7 point deficit. They'd have to play that way for another month straight AND play above .500 hockey the rest of the way to bridge the gap at the low end. This is the team MOST LIKELY to encroach on the 9 playoff contending teams with ~35 games left. Sportsclubstats gives them like 19% chance to do that. It's very, very unlikely.

To put it another way, the MUCH more plausible scenario is that the lowest performer in the back-35 games out of Colorado, Dallas, Vegas, Calgary, Arizona, Vancouver, Edmonton and Winnipeg will miss and the other 7 will make it. Don't look now but the Jets are rolling down that hill.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOilers88

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Lost in the angst is that there are only 9 teams in the West realistically involved in the playoff hunt. 4 points separates 2nd and 9th. In order to lose your positioning, someone has to take it. The Blackhawks are 10th, have won 7 out of their last 10 and have only gained 2 points on a 7 point deficit. They'd have to play that way for another month straight AND play above .500 hockey the rest of the way to bridge the gap at the low end. This is the team MOST LIKELY to encroach on the 9 playoff contending teams with ~35 games left. Sportsclubstats gives them like 19% chance to do that. It's very, very unlikely.

To put it another way, the MUCH more plausible scenario is that the lowest performer in the back-35 games out of Colorado, Dallas, Vegas, Calgary, Arizona, Vancouver, Edmonton and Winnipeg will miss and the other 7 will make it. Don't look now but the Jets are rolling down that hill.

Problem is Chicago is surging.

That said, Hall will likely miss the playoffs again, and the Yotes win Lafreniere.
Because that's what Hall does.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Scared is a bit of a stretch. At the end of the day it's just sports. But I guess nervous at key moments, sure. lol

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
In a playoff spot! Out of the playoffs. In a playoff spot! Out of the playoffs.

Day by day people are gonna stress themselves out doing that. You have to look at it for what it is, and what it is at this point of the season is a wildcard team that is in a rumble for their division that's likely going to come down to the wire. So sit back and enjoy the ride, wins and losses (barring a large losing streak).

Season is more than half over and if they don't have you believing they're capable of getting in as they are yet, we'll agree to disagree :cool:

That said I do think moves will be made between now and the TDL, but won't be upset if it's not until the day of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad