Real Madrid - Liverpool: CL Final 26th May

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I will also second the, while Liverpool really have only one or two standout players (Salah, Firmino [who while maybe not the best striker, in this system does the most and brings something unique]), they do have a squad that has a lot of good to very good players. Their starting 11 isn't filled with a boat load of players who are on the teams of the season, and they're not filled with players who will pickup WC medals come Summer time. But, they do have a system, organization and probably most importantly, physicality to their style that works.

I think some of their players have room for growth, and certainly can become more than they are now. Mane, VVD, Robertson, and TAA all have a lot of upside to improve. Ox, was he healthy, has room to improve in Liverpool's system.

It's certainly possible to get to the CL finals or even the WC with some players who are mediocre to poor. It happens. But in this season, it doesn't look like that's the case.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Just to clarify. You're saying that for 3/4 of a season Robertson has been playing at a world class level?
Since he's come into the side he's not put a foot wrong, and he's been a constant bright spot in the team. One of the best, and most consistent, performers for the squad going to the CL final and that should lock up a top 4 spot in England. FWIW he's played at a high level more consistently than Salah has (though the expectations are lower at LB and Salah still scores this season when he has bad games). Only Firmino has been as consistently good (better). Oh, but yes, Robertson has been a WC leftback this season.

But he's just a gruff Scottish lad coming up from the Championship so I can see why he won't get the acclaim he deserves. Neither did Firmino, or Henderson despite their contributions. People rarely look beyond flash and name brand to actually watch how players impact the game overall. Just like our season was doomed when Coutinho left (because clearly, he was irreplaceable), and Liverpool weren't a threat to the CL before the season started (because lul only biased Liverpool fans would think that).

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
World Class is such a silly term. No he's probably not world class, but he's been very good at a weak position. I would say if he plays as good as he has this year, next year, he's probably in the discussion for being 'world class'.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
World Class is such a silly term. No he's probably not world class, but he's been very good at a weak position. I would say if he plays as good as he has this year, next year, he's probably in the discussion for being 'world class'.
So if he continues to play like he has this season next season he'll be considered 'world class' but it's silly to say he's played 'world class' this season? :huh:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
But I'd like you to point out to me the post where I state that Lacazette is WC.
I never said you said he was.

Are you still keeping track of his production vs. Firmino's btw? I remember you said that you would but I haven't looked at the two recently.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hehe, I haven't. But I'll make sure to look at Firmino's production in his first EPL year. Just to make sure.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Just to clarify. You're saying that for 3/4 of a season Robertson has been playing at a world class level?
Can I edit this to, for 3/4 of a season Robertson has been the best LB in the PL?

I don't think that's an outrageous statement.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's weak around the world.

It has been for a while now. Alberto Moreno is awful. But his physical gifts and Klopp had him playing pretty well for the beginning of the season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think he's in the discussion, although that position is horrifically weak in the PL right now.
Its weak everywhere, but Robertson has been a standout. Doesnt mean hes world class. But he is no slouch.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Can I edit this to, for 3/4 of a season Robertson has been the best LB in the PL?

I don't think that's an outrageous statement.
Not just in the PL, but also in the CL. Don't think any LB has been as effective as him in this year's competition; that's part of why the teams they play have been almost exclusively targeting the right side.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Also the hardest working and tenacious player I've ever seen in a red shirt. Period. And there's been some pretty good ones like Mascherano and Kuyt.

People have to expect fans will love a bulldog player.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not just in the PL, but also in the CL. Don't think any LB has been as effective as him in this year's competition; that's part of why the teams they play have been almost exclusively targeting the right side.
That's a fair statement too. I dont know if he has been the best in the CL but he is certainly comfortable at this level

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Nobody said that either. I would take van Dijk over Ramos but that duo is not 'much better'. I don't see any issue with someone thinking they're better but both van Dijk and Robertson are top drawer. They just don't have the pedigree, but anyway.

You claimed he matched up well with Marcelo... and he's better against the ball. If that's not claiming equality I don't know what is.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Screen-Shot-2018-05-04-at-12.15.08-PM.png

lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->