booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
You'll Never Walk Alone.

DeNfgq_XcAAMtdM.jpg

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Europa League team fans posting garbage is very funny right now tbh. Hilariously small time and bitter. Losing a final isn't exactly the end of the world, at least they could get to one.

I wouldn't say a fluke, but stars did align. They usually do for CL finalists, and Real is no stranger to that.
But between the cake walk group, the cake walk L16 opponents, the generous reffing against City, the generous reffing against Roma, Barca, PSG and Bayern not being drawn against, the no big injury before the final, etc..., Liverpool had all in all one single superior team to knock out (City).

Sometimes teams have luck in the CL (draws, reffing, injuries) like Liverpool had this year and sometimes they don't (PSG for years, Bayern for a while). Sometimes, they can overcome some bad luck, but those teams are too close to get over it when facing each other.

Klopp will make them players, but I don't expect Liverpool to be back in the final next year unless stars align again.

I meant the team being good wasn't a fluke. Not that they will get the final next year.

But there will be more challenges, more tournament runs. There should be more chances.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I think any player that holds their head in agony, whether it's faking or an actual injury, should be taken off the field to be examined immediately.

This would discourage embellishment and also give the ability to the medical team to properly assess head injuries.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jari Litmanen (life long Liverpool fan and former player there) said on Finnish tv that the Salah injury situation was harmless, that just had a lot of bad luck involved. Since he's an expert on injuries, and our King, we won't disagree with that. Not the only former player to let Ramos off the hook, Frank Lamard, Rio Ferdinand and Jamie Carragher have all said similar. Carragher said it was a normal situtation with very bad luck involved.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Gerrard slip was the worst loss I have experienced as a sports fan.

08-09 simultaneously had the best and worst moments. Best were destroying United at OT, destroying Real Madrid. Those were unforgettable. Then there were the games that Macheda won United with miracle goals. A 4-4 draw against Arsenal. Then there was the torture of waiting for United to drop points every week.

The Gerrard slip was also not the worst thing about that game, it's just the part everyone remembers. The team didn't even test Schwarzer for like an hour. Rodgers seemed to approach that game with no tactical plan at all, just that the goal would eventually come because the team had quality. It never did, and Liverpool wasn't even playing against their best team.

The Sevilla final loss was pretty bad. The team was so poor and everything looked so bleak that I could never have imagined they would be in the CL final two years later. Never thought we'd be having this current discussion.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
The first play certainly was not red card worthy. Salah actually initiated the hand/arm locking and Ramos followed suit. It was very unfortunate that it resulted in an injury, and I hope he can get back in time for the world cup. Ramos was definitely trying to be physical with Salah to put him off his game, but that's not intent to injure.

As for the elbow on Karius I've yet to see a great video. The ones that I have seen use a zoom pane/circle to show the elbow contact, but it distorts the rest of the picture, so I couldn't really tell what happened in total. If he intentionally stuck out his elbow, then that's a red.

Reactions: JBeast

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Ramos was always going to play Salah hard. Dont think he intended to injure Salah on the spot, but do think he clamped down on his arm and wanted to create an awkward landing.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Weird to say Salah initiated contact. Ramos came to play the ball and threw his elbow in front of Salah (not touching him) and over his arm. Then arms tangled and Ramos made sure Salah's extended arm was pulled towards the right (Salah's I mean) and of course, he made sure the landing was rough.
As I said, Ramos wanted to play Salah tough. Didn't mean to injure him, but made sure he would feel it. Card and foul should be called.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Yes, some critics are wondering if anyone would ever see Ferguson, or Pep, or Mourinho or Ancelotti dancing with supporters so shortly after such a dour defeat

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ramos was always going to play Salah hard. Dont think he intended to injure Salah on the spot, but do think he clamped down on his arm and wanted to create an awkward landing.
Which to me in intent to injure. It's a Judo takedown (an illegal one at that) not a soccer move. It's not a natural tackle. Ramos knows what he is doing and he knows he can get away with it.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yes, some critics are wondering if anyone would ever see Ferguson, or Pep, or Mourinho or Ancelotti dancing with supporters so shortly after such a dour defeat
Well Klopp is probably used to losing finals by now unlike the others.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
When you're in the final of a cup competition, chances are that you'll face a quality team.
Right that's my point. He keeps running into Bayern or Man City, or two time defending Champions. Heck when lost Wolfsburg that was during his last season. Which was not only a nightmare but Wolfsburg was actually good, finishing 2nd that year.

There is a very small margin of error in those games, and as I said, he will need to get some trophies in the cabinet, but this wasn't this seasons FA Cup final for example where 2nd place Man U lost to a below standard Chelsea team that finished 5th. This wasn't Wigan beating Man City.

Liverpool lost their best player to injury, when they were the better team, and if not for 2 keeper errors there is no reason that game doesnt go to extra time 1 1. Klopp is not to blame for what happened, I'd be first to be critical if it was.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Tbh Klopp has led Liverpool out of the wilderness and back into club football relevance.

Reactions: GB

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Tbh Klopp has led Liverpool out of the wilderness and back into club football relevance.
No doubt about that. He's put Liverpool on the map again as a potential powerhouse. And with little net spend. He's in the discussion for the best manager in the world.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Ramos is both a fool and a master of the dark arts of football. He's an idiot savant at what he does basically. It's certainly not beyond Ramos to try to injure someone. Of course, the easiest way to injure someone is also likely to result in your own dismissal from the game. Therefore, one needs to act with a certain subtlety. One has to almost respect Ramos for how polished and accomplished he is at being a 'hijo de puta' on the football pitch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad