Real Madrid - Liverpool: CL Final 26th May

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Klopp can´t drop Karius now. What kind of signal would that send? The first mistake is completely random - got very little to do with his goalkeeping abilities. I know some will talk about mental strength, but all you need to do then is to watch Baresi take that penalty in 94. So if Klopp drops him he will indirectly tell all his players mistakes are not allowed. Only fools believe that good football players do not make mistakes - not even Mourinho believes that.

If he keeps making mistakes of course......

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Klopp can´t drop Karius now. What kind of signal would that send? The first mistake is completely random - got very little to do with his goalkeeping abilities. I know some will talk about mental strength, but all you need to do then is to watch Baresi take that penalty in 94. So if Klopp drops him he will indirectly tell all his players mistakes are not allowed. Only fools believe that good football players do not make mistakes - not even Mourinho believes that.

The first goal was bad enough. It was Ulreich bad (semis BAY-Real), but the 2nd sealed the deal. No Pool player helped him when he was lying on the pitch. Real players comfort him. IMO the message was clear.

Reactions: Supersic

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
The first goal was bad enough. It was Ulreich bad (semis BAY-Real), but the 2nd sealed the deal. No Pool player helped him when he was lying on the pitch. Real players comfort him. IMO the message was clear.

I would have like to see someone go over there right away, but it wasn't that bad

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
He's not. Super underrated just like Salah and Milinkovic-Savic just because of the league he plays in. I saw him make one error against Salzburg, but otherwise he plays for a team with absolutely no defensive concept and has to make tons of crucial saves, basically stranded all by himself.

I think SMS is finely rated and Salah was too when he played in Serie A, he just really stepped up and turned out to be the perfect fit for Liverpool.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Keylor Navas has also been bad this season, and he's just won a third CL trophy running. **** happens sometimes, and if Karius had a concussion from getting brained, it changes everything.

Granted I didn't watch Real all that much this year, but whenever I did I saw Navas pull out some brilliant stops. I wouldn't underrate him too hard

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018

When a defender makes a mistake which results in a goal, he can still make up for that by scoring one himself.

Goalie can not.

That's why a soccer goalie's main job is not to make mistakes. Especially not two in a single match. And, above all, should you make a couple of mistakes in on game after all, make sure it's not a CL final.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Yeah. Lovely bunch.

I don´t have a problem with elite athletes being ruthless, but there is a time for everything.

So if Klopp drops one goalkeeper because of two huge mistaks - he has to drop the next one when he makes mistakes as well.

De Gea would never have played for Utd by that logic. Lloris would have been sold this summer etc.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Over the years I've read a lot of stupid **** online, and this falls into that category. It's totally an @Jussi type of post too and it's your signature. I'm no longer amazed, but I have to say that while it's bad enough you made the first post, it's infinitely more pathetic that you actually made the second post. Why @Savant bothered to clarify I don't know. The fact he did though, with a clearly acceptable and understandable explanation, and you still replied with that second post speaks volumes. You've got some serious issues.

How dare you criticize a Finn's natural trendency/pasttime to argue about semantics/nitpick about details? What's next, people can't complain about Busquets diving/peeking?

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Yeah. Lovely bunch.

I don´t have a problem with elite athletes being ruthless, but there is a time for everything.

So if Klopp drops one goalkeeper because of two huge mistaks - he has to drop the next one when he makes mistakes as well.

De Gea would never have played for Utd by that logic. Lloris would have been sold this summer etc.
It wasn't like Karius caused a FA cup first round exit vs Wigan or Huddersfield. It was the CL final. Not many Pool players will probably ever play such a game again.
That beeing said, Karius MO is done at Liverpool. He didn't do it on purpose, of course. But nobody in Liverpool will ever forgive.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Again - if you are arguing that it is due to the importance of the game - then I suggest that you take a look on the history of the world cup. Absolutely filled with players much better and more experienced than Karius making high profile inexplicable mistakes.

I don´t disagree that he probably hasn´t got a long term future at Liverpool. But extremely risky to throw him under the bus short term based on those mistakes. Liverpool have gotten this far with team spirit and confidence.

We won´t agree on this.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Would he even want to stay after all those death threats?

Could be the easy way out of course.

"I got to leave because of the death threats"

Klopp doesn´t have to drop him.

Personally I think he stays. I am guessing death threats isn´t something that unusual for football players.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I am guessing death threats isn´t something that unusual for football players.

Sadly not. And if it isn't death threats, it's a level of personal abuse that I doubt the perpetrators would dare hurl at anyone were they face to face and without a gang of people to back them up.

What's interesting is to ponder whether they ever go back and think about what they do, and whether they ever feel ashamed of their cowardice.

Given the frequency with which these things happen, presumably not.

Reactions: GB

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Normally I'd agree here, but Liverpool have been without a top Keeper since Reina. It's been too long. They've been linked with top keepers most of the season. Karius had a very nice hot streak, but started cooling down and yesterday was yesterday. They can't ignore the position any longer. It's not just because of yesterday. Getting a new keeper was always part of the plan.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
DeMyVNpWkAAj72l.jpg:large

This photo of Ox post game is heart breaking. Loved the guy at Ox, sucks to these guys get big injuries and such pivotal points of the season

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Normally I'd agree here, but Liverpool have been without a top Keeper since Reina. It's been too long. They've been linked with top keepers most of the season. Karius had a very nice hot streak, but started cooling down and yesterday was yesterday. They can't ignore the position any longer. It's not just because of yesterday. Getting a new keeper was always part of the plan.
Bernd Leno (currently German Nr. 3) from Bayer Leverkusen might be on the market since Lev just signed Frankfurt's Hradecky. Upgrade for sure.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Bernd Leno (currently German Nr. 3) from Bayer Leverkusen might be on the market since Lev just signed Frankfurt's Hradecky. Upgrade for sure.
They've been linked with Alisson all season, I think they need to exhaust that before looking elsewhere. They can't go for another project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->