Real Madrid - Liverpool: CL Final 26th May

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
He's not wrong though. Man City isn't in this tourney only because they Salah'd, they would have easily beaten Pool (without him), Barca, or Real this year.

I don't get this line of reasoning.
City got shafted on a couple of calls vs Liverpool, yes, and both were pretty bad decisions (2 disallowed goals for plays that were never offside).
But they still played a bad first leg and Liverpool were the better team overall.
Also, Salah does play for Liverpool, so I don't see the point of saying City would beat Liverpool without Salah. They'd be favorite vs a Ronaldo-less Real or Messi-less Barca, but those exist and play for those teams.

They had a good group stage, but played freaking Basel in the Round of 16.
Liverpool was their first real test, and they failed.

What makes people think they'd do better against Real? Against the winners of 3 out of the last 4 CLs, and the team that (despite playing some bad games by their standards) just knocked out PSG, Bayern and Juve?

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Robertson is fantastic, but he certainly ain’t Marcelo level. Robertson is probably the most consistent player on Liverpool on a game to game basis, he’s always turned on.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Marcelo and Ramos are much better than VVD and Robertson. The thing that Liverpool has over RM is system. Only reason I say this is because it seems like RM don't have one.

I don’t disagree they have the pedigree, I’m just saying pools back line isn’t as bad as you or some of the people are making it seem.

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Man this board is hilarious... you have opposite side of spectrum who insanely think Marcelo is the goat and the other "side" who think Robertson is better or equal.
Nobody said that either. I would take van Dijk over Ramos but that duo is not 'much better'. I don't see any issue with someone thinking they're better but both van Dijk and Robertson are top drawer. They just don't have the pedigree, but anyway.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As much as I hate Ramos and think he's overrated, he's still better then VVD.
As for Marcelo against Robertson.... not even close.

All in all, that's very much "much better".

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The exact quote was.

"I would put up Robertson against any LB based on his play this season."

How are we supposed to interpret that?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No, it's been denied that Marcelo and Ramos are "much better".
Because they're not 'much better', especially since van Dijk is better than Ramos.

The exact quote was.

"I would put up Robertson against any LB based on his play this season."

How are we supposed to interpret that?
That on his current form he's up there with any LB this season? You can find a player in a lot of leagues that could outperform Messi in a one off, or have a great season. I'm not anointing Salah better than Neymar/Messi/Ronaldo et. al. based on one season but that doesn't mean he hasn't been up there with them this season. Most people consider the best players to be the best because of their consistency, no? If Robertson and Salah can replicate this form going forward of course they have to be considered among the best in the world, but for now we don't know where they're going to go next year (and still, I don't think Salah is as good as some are making him out to be).

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I would say that Marcelo is much better, but how much is difficult to quantify. Marcelo has done it for a number of seasons, Robertson has really only done it on this stage for 3/4ths of one. I don't think this comparison is that close, but I do think Robertson is easily in the discussion for better players at what's a pretty weak position. Because he plays for Scotland and Hull before now, he may not have gotten press he should, but he offers a lot at the position at a fraction of what Marcelo costs in wages. Money doesn't mean anything for Real, but for Liverpool, getting him for what they got him for, and paying him peanuts is a big deal.

I don't know that there's a ton of difference in Ramos and VVD, but I do know that Ramos is better. The question is once again how much. I think of VVD stays fit, plays like he has since Winter on for Liverpool, and he'll be in the discussion. Right now, I would take Ramos, but next season? It's hard to see where things will be. I've never been a Ramos fan, but it's hard to argue with the fact that he's one of the best to play his position. With the things he's won, if VVD ends up winning even a percent of what he has, it would be amazing. that said, one of the things that led to the high fee, is Virgil has physical abilities that are hard to match. The dude is massive. He's one of the faster players on the pitch for his size. Ramos is physically gifted, but he's just not that tall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad