Real Madrid - Liverpool: CL Final 26th May

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I know they were, but cmon. Every player on the starting backline for Madrid is better than City's.
And Liverpool's front line is better than any frontline Madrid has played so far. Liverpool is better than Tottenham and look what they were able too do with a similar style. Liverpool might be more athletic than Madrid and they are a younger side that isnt going to be afraid to go at them. That doesn't mean they will win but they are going to give them a game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
And Liverpool's front line is better than any frontline Madrid has played so far. Liverpool is better than Tottenham and look what they were able too do with a similar style. Liverpool might be more athletic than Madrid and they are a younger side that isnt going to be afraid to go at them. That doesn't mean they will win but they are going to give them a game.

Never said they wouldn't. Just saying that Madrid's defense is definitely a step up from City's.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You should watch more Robertson :)

Closer than you might think

Marcelo is the best LB ever. Come on, this is like comparing Pionk to EK because Pionk had a good season. Its going to take multiple WC seasons for any LB to get close to Marcelo.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's pretty funny people writing off Liverpool based on names on paper.... it's as if nobody here watches the actual games. Did liverpool just not wreck a VASTLY(look at the league) superior side in City? Did Roma just not pull off a miracle against Barca? Did Madrid dominate the likes of Juve/Munich or did they stumble their way into the final?

Marcelo is the best LB ever. Come on, this is like comparing Pionk to EK because Pionk had a good season. Its going to take multiple WC seasons for any LB to get close to Marcelo.

LMAO we're still on this?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It is one game... and Real Madrid are obvious favourites. RM are known as clinical finisher but Liverpool is not a walk in the park. There will be a very intense game with many chances. That being said Liverpool bench is division 2 level. That could be a huge factor if it goes to extra time.

Reactions: Gecklund

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Hot take. None of them is clearly better.

Real Madrid are in vastly better form since Spurs beat them.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Madrid just feels like they're going to fall into another title, but I'm going to enjoy being able to unabashedly cheer for the boys in red.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Liverpool are better than Tottenham? Based on what? The last 100 games in the league?

Not that I disagree that Liverpool could hurt RM. Should not underestimate the confidence of the front three at Liverpool. I'm sure the whole team feels like they can score at any time - that does something to you.

Extremely important for Liverpool that they can stay fit though. And it could become tricky if they lose to Chelsea on Sunday to manage the squad.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Oh sure. Mostly tongue in cheek there but Robertson was the best LB in the PL this season. He is no slouch.

Like Pionk

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Casemiro and Kroos are overrated and their name brands make that midfield sound better than it is. Watch this video on Wijnaldum to see how he operates against teams that don't just park it. The battle in midfield is actually going to be really entertaining between Wijnaldum and Modric for me as they're two of my favourite midfielders in the world. Ramos, as has been noted many times, while timely with his goals is also not that great of a defender. I'd take van Dijk over either of Real's centrebacks. Is Carvajal healthy? If so he's a clear upgrade on anything Liverpool can put out on the right side, but otherwise as long as United/Roma TAA doesn't show up it could be a wash. Robertson matches up fine with Marcelo, as he's an absolute machine; he's not as good offensively but he's better against the ball and his workrate is ridiculous. I think Navas is underrated, but I've also seen a lot of complaints about him of late, I'd still give Real the edge there because Karius has still not completely sold me. The front 3 work out well in Liverpool's favour with Firmino and Salah being better (probably significantly) than their counterparts, while obviously you have to take Ronaldo over Mane.

Still, Real have more depth, more experience and are better on paper (though not as big a gap as some would say). Liverpool can make up that gap with their team unity and work-rate though. I'm really interested to see if Casemiro or Kovacic start because Kovacic would be a much smarter choice to absorb the pressure from our coordinated press, but Zidane loves Casemiro.

Either way I think it'll be a really entertaining final. There will likely be some reffing mistakes and a lot of nerves, but I believe in Liverpool to end this Real reign of terror. Who would have thought that Liverpool could be such a threat in the CL this season? :huh:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Too bad your club's manager is one of the many people who overrate Kroos. Otherwise he'd know to target him harder, am I right? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Big Kahuna

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Too bad your club's manager is one of the many people who overrate Kroos. Otherwise he'd know to target him harder, am I right? :rolleyes:
Klopp also rates Can and uses him as a first choice midfielder. Managers are funny like that; they all have their favourites. Just look at some of the NT selections for many of the big teams for examples.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Klopp also rates Can and uses him as a first choice midfielder. Managers are funny like that; they all have their favourites. Just look at some of the NT selections for many of the big teams for examples.

Did Klopp ever call Can a genius tho

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Did Klopp ever call Can a genius tho
I think he called Henderson brilliant and Lallana a genius IIRC. Though I'm not sure he ever used that particular superlative for Can (rightfully so).

I liked these comments in particular:

“For me, it’s quite difficult to talk about obvious things,” he said. “I would prefer that you (journalists) write it. Are stories only interesting when my name is in it?

“Please, say the message; 'Jordan Henderson is a very good footballer'. He’s an England national team player and our skipper. And maybe he’ll be the skipper of England - I have no clue.

“That’s the situation - how can he not be a brilliant player if he’s a Liverpool player? If somebody doesn’t see his value, what can I do? Do you think after what I said now, that they will see his value? I’m not sure. I’m very happy that he’s back, you can write that!”

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Kroos overrated, I agree to a degree. He's mostly useful when Real have the ball. guy can't run.
But to compare him to Wijnaldum...

Boy... :facepalm:

Reactions: Gecklund

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
...and who compared him to Wijnaldum? The wonders never cease. From my closet Real fandom to comparing Kroos to Wijnaldum (in line with the former, obviously)...I'm stuck between two worlds here.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
...and who compared him to Wijnaldum? The wonders never cease. From my closet Real fandom to comparing Kroos to Wijnaldum (in line with the former, obviously)...I'm stuck between two worlds here.

"Casemiro and Kroos are overrated and their name brands make that midfield sound better than it is. Watch this video on Wijnaldum to see how he operates against teams that don't just park it. "

Not even a space between the two.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think it's pretty straight forward the lineup that Liverpool will put out. It will be the same team (unless something unforeseen happens) as Leg 2 at Roma but Lallana on bench instead of Woodburn if he proves fitness

I am curious what the consensus is on what Madrid will put out. They've had a bit of flexibility this season. How do you think they line up?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I am curious what the consensus is on what Madrid will put out. They've had a bit of flexibility this season. How do you think they line up?

Navas-Carvajal, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo-Modric, Casemiro, Kroos, Isco - Ronaldo, Benzema

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->