Reactions on Campbell and Ziegler HHOF inductions

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
With the recent induction of commissioner Gary Bettman, I was interested comparison. Not surprising to see some backslash on that, but the key is the reaction "he should be in once he steps down".

Clarence Campbell was NHL president from 1946 to 1977, and inducted to HHOF in 1966. John Ziegler was NHL president from 1977 to 1992, and inducted to HHOF in 1987.

So two of Bettman's predecessors have been inducted while still being active. While I don't have memories of those, can someone who followed hockey back then or has done some research, go through those inductions, whether they were considered deserved or not at the time?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
With the recent induction of commissioner Gary Bettman, I was interested comparison. Not surprising to see some backslash on that, but the key is the reaction "he should be in once he steps down".

Clarence Campbell was NHL president from 1946 to 1977, and inducted to HHOF in 1966. John Ziegler was NHL president from 1977 to 1992, and inducted to HHOF in 1987.

So two of Bettman's predecessors have been inducted while still being active. While I don't have memories of those, can someone who followed hockey back then or has done some research, go through those inductions, whether they were considered deserved or not at the time?

They were normal or par for the course for Builders.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Wasn't following hockey when Ziegler was inducted and wasn't born when Campbell was president. I think as with players league figure heads shouldn't get into the Hall until they finish up as league commishioner/president.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Not a fan of them getting in while they are still active. Coaches I can understand. Bowman was inducted while he was still coaching. The thing with Campbell and Ziegler is that neither of them oversaw a work stoppage. Say what you want about them, there was NHL Hockey every October when they ran things (The owners did replace Ziegler after the 10 day players' strike in April 1992 technically).

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
^^^It seems odd for anyone in an active position to be inducted into a Hall of Fame. That would include a Commissioner, coach or player. Induction only makes sense when the individual has retired and is then recognized for their contribution to the industry. It's a different matter if someone comes out of retirement after they've been inducted into the HHOF as was the case with Gordie Howe when he signed with the Houston Aeros in 1973 one year after his induction.

In regards to there being no work stoppages under Campbell and Ziegler, I think you need to take into account that it was a different era. The players had nowhere near the rights and privileges that they do now. The NHLPA under Alan Eagleson was a toothless tiger as he was as much in the owners back pocket as were Campbell and Ziegler. Things only changed when Bob Goodenow took charge of the NHLPA and it became more militant. Bettman has had to deal with issues that his predecessors never had to.

:jets

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I guess the difference versus players is that builders are much older when they finish their careers, so i wonder if the Hall wants people to have ample time to enjoy their induction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad