Confirmed with Link: Re-signed Sorensen - 2 years @1.5M AAV

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I'm probably being too optimistic but I think he's been very good. His effort has been consistent, he's been chasing hard on the forecheck, he throws his little body into all his checks. I think the problem has been Jumbos play overall that has limited his productivity. Jumbo's had some good games here and there but he's been rough for theist month it seems despite his ability to pass it into the net. I don't think Sorenson will ever be a top 6 player but he's as good or better (and faster) than most wings who've played on the 3rd line for this team over the last few years (not counting Pavs this season of course). The contract is great though. 1.5 for a 3rd liner which I believe he is at this point is a massive steal.

Reactions: Sandisfan

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I think he has hit a bit of a wall to be honest, he needs to get back to the simple game with flashes of dangles . Between this contract and Radil though, they have two solid bottom 6 guys with some skill at a pretty decent rate for next year.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Glad to see Marcus in teal for 2 more years. If he can have the impact in the playoffs he had last year, we’re better for it.
He’s an effective player with his hustle and grit.
As the higher end players get checked tightly, he can use his skill to score.

Go Sharks!!

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
DW is wisely locking up depth pieces in advance knowing he's got a lot of work to do this offseason between EK65, Pavelski, Meier, LaBanc, Donskoi etc. Take care of the relatively easy stuff now. Radil and Sorensen at a combined $2.2M cap hit is pretty good I'd say. Both could certainly fizzle out but at that price you aren't risking much.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
He hasn't been good since Thanksgiving. I think people are letting his play before that blind them to the fact that he has sucked since that point.

His decline has coincided with DeBoer continuously forcing the Jumbo-Pavs line. Sorensen looked fine while the other winger was Labanc, Goodrow, etc.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Agreed. Also Jumbo hasn't been doing too much to help that line lately. He's looked pretty rough for awhile now.

As much as I hate to say it, agreed. Makes you wonder if they'd be a better team without Jumbo putting aside his leadership presence. Curious to see if he improves after a nice long all-star break.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Last but not least, at that AAV, Sorenson is also an asset that can be traded at any point during the contract, that might help sweetening the pot to secure another deal.

Good work Doug on the renewal and congrats to Sorensen who has earned his two year NHL contract.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
As much as I hate to say it, agreed. Makes you wonder if they'd be a better team without Jumbo putting aside his leadership presence. Curious to see if he improves after a nice long all-star break.
I still think a healthy Jumbo is a solid 3c in this league. He has shown flashes this year of being a great 3c if his line gets the right matchups and he's healthy and feeling good.

However this is a huge all in year for the Sharks. I doubt DW will be willing to bet the season on Jumbo's health. He has basically missed the last 2 postseasons.

Seriously, if Jumbo goes down, who plays 3c? Pavs? That puts our top goal scorer on a 3rd line with Sorenson and Labanc/Goodrow. It also means Radil has to stay in a top 6 role even if he regresses. And it also takes away the option to stack the top 2 lines by putting Pavs with Logan and Meier. Shovels could be an option, but if the organization doesn't feel comfortable with him at 4c, hard to imagine them letting him play 3c.

I see DW going after a guy like Hayes who could play on Jumbo's wing if he's healthy, but could also step in and center the 3rd line if God forbid Jumbo goes down.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Personally, I think they just need to put him on the 4th line for now and have Pavs center the 3rd line. His skating has looked suspect the last few games (weeks?) so I think he's struggling thru some additional pain or fatigue on the knee. For a little while he seemed to be getting stronger every game but then he suddenly went the other way.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sorenson will be an UFA on contract expiration. Sharks do not need to protect him in the expansion draft (he's on expiring contract).

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Sorenson will be an UFA on contract expiration. Sharks do not need to protect him in the expansion draft (he's on expiring contract).
Even if he wasnt on an expiring comtract, is her really the player we would want to protect? I wouldn't waste a spot on him.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Even if he wasnt on an expiring comtract, is he really the player we would want to protect? I wouldn't waste a spot on him.

The expansion draft is more than two years down the road. Thornton will probably be retired. Lots of changes will happen to the Sharks roster (and list of players under contract) between now and then. It's really, really, really early to make determinations on whether to protect or expose a player. On an expiring contract, no need to protect him.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
The expansion draft is more than two years down the road. Thornton will probably be retired. Lots of changes will happen to the Sharks roster (and list of players under contract) between now and then. It's really, really, really early to make determinations on whether to protect or expose a player. On an expiring contract, no need to protect him.

Very true. My only point is that even if sorenson wasnt on an expiring contract, he wouldn't be a player I would protect. If he gets better in 2 years time then that is something else. But right now he is a 3rd or 4th liner with upside but he isn't part of our core.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I think we'll have a better idea by the start of the 20-21 season which players are playing such that they should be considered for expansion draft protection.

All the kids who haven't gone pro (full time), including the CH-twins, all the kids unsigned, and/or yet to be drafted in 2019 and 2020 are among the exempt players.

Only a small handful of players (1G, 2D, 3F) on the Sharks even have contracts beyond 2021.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Very true. My only point is that even if sorenson wasnt on an expiring contract, he wouldn't be a player I would protect. If he gets better in 2 years time then that is something else. But right now he is a 3rd or 4th liner with upside but he isn't part of our core.

Well you are talking about a team that protected tierney, melker karlsson, carpenter and jannik hansen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad