Confirmed with Link: Re-signed Sorensen - 2 years @1.5M AAV

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Generally I would agree, but in this case we’ve got an impending cap crunch and $750K might be the difference between us keeping and/or acquiring a far more important player than Sorensen.
I tend to trust that a GM with 16 years of experience has a good enough idea of the contract demands of his roster that he feels confident signing someone to a $1.5m deal isn't going to prevent him from building the team he wants

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
$1.5M is a bit more than what I would have liked, but when its $300-500k difference, it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Happy he is staying with the Sharks.
Honestly, a lot of people had him penciled in for 1M which I thought was too little. Frankly, based on the start this year and the playoffs last year, I had him closer to 2M than 1M. Also, I did have him at that AAV for only 1-2 years. No more.

So fairly satisfied with the deal.

Edit: Meant 1M was too little.

Last edited:

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I tend to trust that a GM with 16 years of experience has a good enough idea of the contract demands of his roster that he feels confident signing someone to a $1.5m deal isn't going to prevent him from building the team he wants

Yeah, I would be flabbergasted if DW did not already have a very clear picture of what this team looks like next year contract wise. Sure something could not go the way he plans it, but I highly doubt DW is doing these little 3rd/4th liner signings, if there was any significant chance it stops him from signing someone important this off season.

As for the contract, I like it, nice money and term for a guy who has played well and earned it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Honestly, a lot of people had him penciled in for 1M which I thought was too little. Frankly, based on the start this year and the playoffs last year, I had him closer to 2M than 1M. Also, I did have him at that AAV for only 1-2 years. No more.

So fairly satisfied with the deal.

Edit: Meant 1M was too little.

I think it’s almost entirely due to his playoff performances because half his season thus far is unimpressive. I expected to re-sign but was thinking that it would’ve been after the season when we have a full season’s body of work.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
One thing that people might miss regarding a lot of these re-signings is that guys will now no longer playing for a new contract in the playoffs.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He's on a 26 point pace and was excellent in last year's playoffs. $1.5MM is a pretty good contract and should not be difficult to move in the event the Sharks needed the flexibility.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
One thing that people might miss regarding a lot of these re-signings is that guys will now no longer playing for a new contract in the playoffs.
I hope professional athletes can use the prospect of winning their childhood dream as enough motivation to play hard through the playoffs. I doubt Sorenson is like "well I got paid so time to go full Vlasic this postseason"

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
on the flip side, "playing for a contract" and exceeding expectations would likely mean we either A) lose him, or B) pay him more. Cap crunch considered, seems like DW is managing his risk pretty well.

Seems as though DW does a great job of signing guys before their contracts are up and makes some savings on them. Obviously he isnt 100% hit rate on this, but recently Burns and Couture were signed to deals below real value for years to come. Vlasic's deal is still to early to tell, but at this point it seems like the only whiff of late

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I hope professional athletes can use the prospect of winning their childhood dream as enough motivation to play hard through the playoffs. I doubt Sorenson is like "well I got paid so time to go full Vlasic this postseason"

I don’t think he’s suddenly going to turn into Vlasic either, but the fact is that players do tend to perform slightly better in their contract years. In a league where you need every little edge you can get, it’s something to consider IMO.

on the flip side, "playing for a contract" and exceeding expectations would likely mean we either A) lose him, or B) pay him more. Cap crunch considered, seems like DW is managing his risk pretty well.

Seems as though DW does a great job of signing guys before their contracts are up and makes some savings on them. Obviously he isnt 100% hit rate on this, but recently Burns and Couture were signed to deals below real value for years to come. Vlasic's deal is still to early to tell, but at this point it seems like the only whiff of late

The top point is fair. Again, not calling for DW’s head based on this, just pointing it out. It’s certainly helpful to get guys signed and see what the roster will look like next year.

With Couture, I don’t agree. He and Kane were both paid above what market value dictates for them. As it stands, Burns makes up for it though.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
You can bring back Pavs (7), Donskoi (4) Karlsson (11), and Sorensen by trading Braun, Melker, and Dell, bridging Meier, and Jumbo signs for a mill. It's tight, but not so tight that Sorensen at 1.5M was an impossibility.

Also you've got to fill out the rest of the bottom 6 with like 700k guys- if I were Grambrell, Suomela, or Chartier I'd take that on a one-way. Checkovich and Chemelvski are just under 800k, but would be on two ways.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Also nice contract, I like Sorensen and think he could have gotten 2M pretty easily. Speed kills, he pks, and he has enough scoring touch to give teams the opinion of some upside. He'd fit nicely in Tampa, Pitt, Edmonton, or Nashville.

Jux pointed out a while ago that you should be on the lookout for the next Donskoi or sorensen, but I think 650k more to get the proven version is worth it.

I do hope they can find a right handed Simek this year however!

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The top point is fair. Again, not calling for DW’s head based on this, just pointing it out. It’s certainly helpful to get guys signed and see what the roster will look like next year.

With Couture, I don’t agree. He and Kane were both paid above what market value dictates for them. As it stands, Burns makes up for it though.

yea it's always a gamble to either wait and see if they boom or bust or lock them down to a neutral deal, which is what i feel 1.5 aav is for Sorensen.

I exclude Kane from this because he wasn't signed well in advance of his UFA status like Burns, Cooch, Vlasic, Sorensen, Radil, etc were.

Couture has 42 points in 45 games this season and has 59 points in his last 58 playoff games (from 2013 playoffs when he really matured into his own). That's good for 8m / year on probably every NHL team, no? not worth debating ITT, but i'd agree that its too early to tell. Contract hasnt even kicked in yet lol

Reactions: SjMilhouse

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
You can bring back Pavs (7), Donskoi (4) Karlsson (11), and Sorensen by trading Braun, Melker, and Dell, bridging Meier, and Jumbo signs for a mill. It's tight, but not so tight that Sorensen at 1.5M was an impossibility.

Also you've got to fill out the rest of the bottom 6 with like 700k guys- if I were Grambrell, Suomela, or Chartier I'd take that on a one-way. Checkovich and Chemelvski are just under 800k, but would be on two ways.

Donskoi shouldn’t get 4MM AAV, too streaky and injury prone. I also wouldn’t give Pavs 7MM. We really don’t need to lock in another Vlasic contract. Use the cap space on younger, faster free agents. Maybe we can shed some salary and get Stone or Skinner to come on board while letting the Joe’s walk.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Don’t mind the contract at all, but I’m not sure locking in depth guys before getting to Karlsson is wise.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm....not a fan of this.

Sorensen has received some good opportunity and hasn't put up much with it. I'm not denying that 1.5 million on a short-term deal for 20-30 ES points is a solid deal, I just think that the Sharks could find better options elsewhere. I mean, they are jam-packed with middle-tier (and some upcoming higher-tier) prospects. Playing someone like Gambrell, True, or Chartier not only saves you money but gives you a chance at developing a better player.

On the plus side, you have to think all of this is leading up to a Karlsson extension...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Swagtastic.

giphy.gif

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
350K less than Burish for a more productive player who will throw down when he's super pissed? I'll take him. Hopefully, his speed will cause match up problems for other teams down the line. I may be in the minority, but I think his game has suffered since being put with Thornton and Pavelski and I don't think Sorenson should be blamed.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm....not a fan of this.

Sorensen has received some good opportunity and hasn't put up much with it. I'm not denying that 1.5 million on a short-term deal for 20-30 ES points is a solid deal, I just think that the Sharks could find better options elsewhere. I mean, they are jam-packed with middle-tier (and some upcoming higher-tier) prospects. Playing someone like Gambrell, True, or Chartier not only saves you money but gives you a chance at developing a better player.

On the plus side, you have to think all of this is leading up to a Karlsson extension...

Breaking news: Sharks re-sign Melker Karlsson, 3 years @ $3.667m AAV

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
350K less than Burish for a more productive player who will throw down when he's super pissed? I'll take him. Hopefully, his speed will cause match up problems for other teams down the line. I may be in the minority, but I think his game has suffered since being put with Thornton and Pavelski and I don't think Sorenson should be blamed.

I think he played the best hockey of his career with just Thornton and I think he’s been pretty mediocre with both Thornton and Pavelski.

Reactions: Mattb124

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
To be fair, it doesn't seem like Sorensen has really been able to use his speed alongside Thornton.

I think he’s been able to use it well when he’s with Thornton and another guy like LaBanc. I think he’s struggled to do it when the other guy is Pavelski.

Statistically, Sorensen/Thornton/Pavelski are -5 and Sorensen/Thornton/Not Pavelski are +5. Very small sample size but it backs what I see.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think he played the best hockey of his career with just Thornton and I think he’s been pretty mediocre with both Thornton and Pavelski.

Not surprising. It's hard to fault the Joes, but they obviously turn their focus to each other when paired up. The whole time they've ever been a line it's generally been with whoever was on the other wing as a passenger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad