Confirmed with Link: Re-signed Sorensen - 2 years @1.5M AAV

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Let's be real though, he's not putting out what he needs to in order to justify a top-nine spot. Luckily the AAV is that of a 3rd/4th line tweener which is fine and I'm happy with the term because it's flexible in its value. But his play since Thanksgiving didn't really justify an extension right now.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Let's be real though, he's not putting out what he needs to in order to justify a top-nine spot. Luckily the AAV is that of a 3rd/4th line tweener which is fine and I'm happy with the term because it's flexible in its value. But his play since Thanksgiving didn't really justify an extension right now.

Agreed.

I’m not going to get worked up about the contract because it’s inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and he’s a good player but I think we should have waited.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If we buyout Melker next year it saves 1.5mil in cap space. The cap crunch is coming but with these recent signings, assuming Joe Thornton takes a 1 mil sweetheart deal and Timo comes in around Hertl’s 3x3 show-me deal, we should have plenty for Karlsson and Pavs. If not, we buyout Karlsson and Dell, that easily puts us over the top.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Agreed.

I’m not going to get worked up about the contract because it’s inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and he’s a good player but I think we should have waited.

If the plan is to at some point move him back down to the 4th line then I think this is a good deal but if the plan is to continue to try him as a 3rd liner while he doesn't produce then it's an issue similar to Melker Karlsson but with a bit more flexibility in what you can do with him due to the contract.

Easier to package a signed player in a TDL trade :naughty:

I don't think it's DW's style to sign an impending UFA just to trade him at the deadline.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Agreed.

Alternatively, if Sorensen's play picked up to where it was earlier in the season, he could have asked for more $$? It's probably a bit too much, but whatever. It's good to have 3 cheap bottom-6 wingers locked in for next year (not including Melker lol).

RoloTonyBrownTown

Oct 31, 2018
I know it's easy to confuse the two, but you should be working on signing the other gloriously-coiffed Swede, Dougie.

SharksFan17

Apr 17, 2017
He gives us a speedy thread and pretty scrappy forechecker and penalty killer and was money in the playoffs. And they always show him getting off the bus with EK so im guessing they get along well. I think its a decent deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: slocal

The Great John Scott

#Trade4JohnScott
Aug 23, 2014
Have to wonder if Karlsson didn't ask after Sorensen's contract status. Figure they like each other and it only adds to the possibility that Karlsson wants to stay long term if his friend is signed for at least the next two seasons.

Reactions: slocal

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Perfect contract for what he's shown. Not sure what everyone expects a 4th line guy to make but having a known commodity at 1.5m vs calling up a worse AHL guy at 750k seems fine with me.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Perfect contract for what he's shown. Not sure what everyone expects a 4th line guy to make but having a known commodity at 1.5m vs calling up a worse AHL guy at 750k seems fine with me.

Generally I would agree, but in this case we’ve got an impending cap crunch and $750K might be the difference between us keeping and/or acquiring a far more important player than Sorensen.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Good contract for the short term. If he regresses then he is only slightly overpaid. If he develops into a consistent threat like last year's playoffs then he'll be a steal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad