Confirmed with Link: Re-signed: Petrovic 2y/1-way, Howden & McFarland 1y/2-way

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
excellent. I have been a huge fan of petro since day one. He is a prime example of what many people here wish for our non star prospects.. Given proper time to figure out who they are and be the best they can be via developing in the ahl. The kid has talent and is mean. He can move the puck and even get some goals if he wanted to. He is a good 3rd pair dman that can play different styles.. Lets hope he stays out of the box unless defending teamates.

howden was a no brainer... Interesting that we bring back John Mcfarland

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I thought we didn't even qualify McFarland?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Howden on a two way which makes sense. Doesn't say if Petrovic is on a one or two way though. I assume a one way.
Usually these kind of deals are first year 2-way and second year 1-way.

edit: Nvm, GR has already confirmed that it was 1-way.

I thought we didn't even qualify McFarland?
Originally they weren't planning to, but he was included anyway.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think that was an omission from the original tweet. We definitely did but it was announced slightly afterwards.
+ When our Portland writer talked with Joyce earlier, McFarland wasn't on the list.

So originally they weren't planning to qualify him, but changed their mind.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
our poor owners decided its better to sign mcfarland, huberdeau too expensive for our cap floor team :sarcasm:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
+ When our Portland writer talked with Joyce earlier, McFarland wasn't on the list.

I think Joyce might have forgotten to mention him because he forgot to mention to Petrovic as well.... That's was an interesting moment after posting that on twitter. :sarcasm:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Last chance to impress for John "The risky pick" McFarland.

Can't imagine he goes anywhere. His former junior linemate Trocheck has come and gone in terms of being a prospect and McFarland is still balancing between the ECHL and the AHL.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

I think qualifying offers had to be in by a certain date (something Tallon knows about), or they become UFA. That's not to say that they couldn't sign him later if they intentionally left him off the list. It's possible that they had their eye on someone else and it didn't get done, and then came back to McFarland.

Catsfan7

Jun 6, 2011
Coral Springs, FL
I think qualifying offers had to be in by a certain date (something Tallon knows about), or they become UFA. That's not to say that they couldn't sign him later if they intentionally left him off the list. It's possible that they had their eye on someone else and it didn't get done, and then came back to McFarland.

If he wasn't qualified, becuase like some others here, I'm somewhat confused lol, It could also possibly be the team didn't feel he deserved the automatic 10% raise that comes with the qualifying offer based on his performance so they could leave him off the list then sign him to a contract of equal or lesser value. Just a thought.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
McFarland was qualified per the Panthers news post:

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772822

Florida Panthers Executive Vice President and General Manager Dale Tallon announced today that the club has tendered qualifying offers to the following players: F Jimmy Hayes, F Quinton Howden, F Jonathan Huberdeau, F Corban Knight, F John McFarland, F Greg McKegg, D Alex Petrovic, and F Garrett Wilson.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I think Joyce might have forgotten to mention him because he forgot to mention to Petrovic as well.... That's was an interesting moment after posting that on twitter. :sarcasm:
Just looking at your article from 6/26, McFarland was sent a qualifying offer. I think we get him confused with McFadden. Too many Mc's. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad