Post-Game Talk (GBU): Re-Sign Miller

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Popped in to say a few things.

I am on the "Keep Zemgus Up For Good" train after tonight. Only two NHL games but he's been pretty fun to watch and is not hurting the team. He's earned his spot quick with pure hustle and compete and got rewarded with the one lousy goal they've scored. Hopefully we see him force Rolston to play him 16-18 minutes a night rather than 12. Crazy amount of energy and intensity all throughout the game. Doesn't ever seem to be gassed and doesn't let up.

From what I saw Risto handled business. Looks good around Miller's crease and shows poise when moving the puck. The fact that he's not getting sheltered minutes but not getting the most either is one of the few good decisions Rolston has made. He's our sole bright spot on the power play thus far.

Pretty frustrating watching Ennis. When he's on point, he's magic. When he's not, he's too finnicky and his hands can't catch up with his imagination. Watching him reminds me more and more of a smaller, slightly less puckhogish Maxim Afinogenov each game. Freakish hands but bad hockey sense. Complete liability defensively.

Grigorenko didn't have the best game, but he definitely made the best pass of the night to Flynn charging the net. Good idea, good execution.

Stafford would be a better player if he was faster. He's too slow and deliberate for the type of game he tries to play.

I'm for giving Larsson at least twice the amount of ice time Rolston gave him tonight. Wasn't too fair to me that he got the Grigorenko treatment after making no mistakes. Hopefully Rolston was just easing him in tonight. He's got way too much talent (not even offensively) to be relegated to the 4th line. I'd like to see him get a chance to protect the house right away. Maybe let him see some PK time...

Last edited:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
i agree with the bolded and disagree with the part below it on several points mainly that a 2 way center doesnt mean a top 6 center, if Larsson is your #2 then you better resign Miller because Larsson isnt the offensive talent that Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko or even Girgensons is and they arent gonna produce enough to get this team wins, if Larsson becomes a consistent 50 point player I will consider him surpassing expectations, If Grigorenko becomes a consistent 50 point Ill be disappointed thats how high he peaked
Grigorenko has scored 1 goal in 27 NHL matches. 1 goal and 4 assists in 27 games. That's 0.18 ppg.

I think you should manage your expectations, if you expect him to become a PPG guy.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Going to catch it this morning. In addition to what's been posted here, several friends of mine had good words for Grigorenko [despite Rolston's tough love].

I'll go 0-82 if the younger players continue to progress. Vanek, Stafford etc. are placeholders at this point. I don't think I'm excited more for a prospect than Risto.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Just listened to Ron Ron's presser. He singled out Porter and said Girgs-Porter-Flynn was their best line--Grigorenko conspicuously excluded from that line. Sounds like that group is staying together and may even receive increased ice time tonight. Also, when asked how you fix all the problems he mentioned in time for Pittsburgh tonight, Rolston didn't seem too optimistic with his comment about "baby steps." It sounded like he's just hoping they don't get killed tonight. :laugh:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Just listened to Ron Ron's presser. He singled out Porter and said Girgs-Porter-Flynn was their best line--Grigorenko conspicuously excluded from that line. Sounds like that group is staying together and may even receive increased ice time tonight. Also, when asked how you fix all the problems he mentioned in time for Pittsburgh tonight, Rolston didn't seem too optimistic with his comment about "baby steps." It sounded like he's just hoping they don't get killed tonight. :laugh:

I've liked his tough-love approach with Grigorenko in the media. He's also been fairly realistic in his expectations of the team, which is refreshing.

If the PP wasn't a pile of suck, I'd be on board with Rolston.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The way I took the 'baby steps' comment was as a major jab at their performance through two games, which was a good thing.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I saw Grigorenko with Ott and Ennis for most of the game.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

It was about half and half.

Grigo started the game with ZG and Flynn, looked pretty good so I thought RR gave him a "promotion" to work with Ott-Ennis (or at least stability, as Larsson and Porter split the first period and a half with Ott and Ennis).

And you're right -- I'm seeing a more confident Grigorenko out there. I want him to compete harder in the corners for pucks, but that'll come with time and with added strength.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
wow Rolston post game he seems pissed

Good. I'm not a fan of him, but I like his post game last night. He is being consistent (something missing from most coaches) in his #1 priority being work ethic / battle. It sounds like he is going to demand work ethic / battle up and down the lineup. Didnt hear any excuses made for stars / vets.

Good on ZG already being the exemplar. Letter incoming to his chest in the near future. A more sure bet I cannot fathom.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Starting lines:
Ott-Larsson-Ennis
Girgensons-Grigorenko-Flynn
Scott-Porter-Kaleta

Switch tiwards the end of the 2nd period:
Ott-Grigorenko-Ennis
Girgensons-Porter-Flynn
Scott-Larsson-Kaleta

Things go weird in the 3rd, seems like there was a fair amount of juggling beyond just dealing with post-special teams shifts.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
where would you have liked him? he doesnt play wing, so its Grigorenko, Porter, Hodgson

you arent sitting Hodgson or Grigorenko for him for the same reason, and Porter was centering the teams best line

by the sounds of it everyone wanted him to break up the only line generating consistent pressure on the forecheck so that you could watch a rookie play

Just IMO but I think it is Girgensons and Flynn that make that line really work. No offense to Porter. Put Larsson in Porter's spot and I think that line doesnt miss a beat and will likely get better as I think Larsson is a batter overall player than Porter.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Things go weird in the 3rd, seems like there was a fair amount of juggling beyond just dealing with post-special teams shifts.

I found that quite odd and amusing. I wonder if there was a forward injury/equipment issue that we don't know about? Or if RonRon was just desperate to find something that worked?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Grigorenko has probably been our best center so far. I'm not sure if that is more a compliment to him or a knock on our other centers. But I hope he does some serious leg workouts next offseason. Leg strength is a major issue for him.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Grigorenko was called out by Rolston in the postgame as was most the team but him specifically.

Not a fair analysis of the presser IMO. Grigorenko was brought up specifically by the reporter. Rolston started his reply with:

"it was ok, made a couple of plays"

then he went on to say that along with a whole lot of other guys his compete level needs to be way, way, way (yes he used 3) higher.

Rolston didnt single out Grigorenko, the reporter did. In the context of everything else he said during the interview I assume he would have gave the same criticism of anyone not named Miller, Girgensons, Porter, Flynn.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Grigorenko has probably been our best center so far. I'm not sure if that is more a compliment to him or a knock on our other centers. But I hope he does some serious leg workouts next offseason. Leg strength is a major issue for him.

Problem is that his feet stop moving when he gets the puck, if he kept them going he would look a lot better.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I was disgusted with the 'veterans' effort. Especially Vanek considering he's wearing the C. Just trade him.

Girgs is playing his way onto this team.

Stafford had a good game I thought.

Ennis is turning into Afinogonev.

The defense as a whole played their ***** off.

Miller was unreal.

It was a hard fought game. The veterans play was unacceptable.

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I was disgusted with the 'veterans' effort. Especially Vanek considering he's wearing the C. Just trade him.

Ennis is turning into Afinigonev.

Miller was unreal.

In my view, Ennis has always had a case of "Afinogenov" in his style. And not in a good way either. He needs less dangling looking for the perfect perfect perfect opportunity, and more dishing and shooting. He has a very nice shot. The pinhead needs to use it more.

bluengold72

Jul 18, 2013
north tonawanda
I'm for giving Larsson at least twice the amount of ice time Rolston gave him tonight. Wasn't too fair to me that he got the Grigorenko treatment after making no mistakes. Hopefully Rolston was just easing him in tonight. He's got way too much talent (not even offensively) to be relegated to the 4th line. I'd like to see him get a chance to protect the house right away. Maybe let him see some PK time...

i'm all for giving larsson more time also but the fact that he didn't make a mistake does not mean he played well. fact is he got pushed off the puck easily twice (being stong on the puck was his calling card)
didn't show the hustle back checking that he's been praised for.
he looked timid when the little scrum broke out after the whistle.
He has to be better than that.

Girgensons is an nhler!!

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca

Ennis is turning into Afinigonev.

Miller was unreal.

Thought I was the only one that was starting to sense that. I was a big Afinogenov fan and have been a big Ennis fan, but it is starting to look like a trend and an apt and troubling comparison.

The most obvious connection is the bad Ennis and the bad Afinogenov are/were Tasmanian balls of energy, motion, speed, all without actually accomplishing anything. Looks impressive, accomplishes nothing. I hope we both are wrong.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Im starting to see it from Grigorenko. Any game now he will break out.

Agreed. I know he got singled out a bit, but he has improved tenfold in battling for pucks. He's willing to go to the dirty areas now. I'm not sure if it's a lack of effort or a lack of strength, but he'll get there in time (hopefully).

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

We must have been watching different games. I saw the one where Vanek had 9 shots, including many high quality scoring chances around the net, as well as a few nice potential assists. He could have easily scored a few. I don't remember any glaring problems with him not back-checking either, although I could have missed that.

I can understand the argument for trading Vanek for prospects, but I wouldn't point to last night's game as support. Personally, I've moved into the re-sign Vanek camp. I think he has a lot of good goal-scoring years left in him, and we don't have enough of goal-scoring wingers in the system. You're not going to replace him so easily. On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't be upset if we traded him for another Pominville-type package.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Problem is that his feet stop moving when he gets the puck, if he kept them going he would look a lot better.

Yeah this is my biggest gripe with him right now. He's been making nice plays when he has the puck on his stick but he needs someone to get them for him. I have seen improvement on his battling in corners and sometimes he does come out with the puck, but he needs a lot of work in that aspect.

FanboySlayer*

Can't believe the **** Ennis takes on here, some of it deserved, while Slowly Hodgson, of the 6 year contract, basically goes unscathed.

AT LEAST Ennis is fast and skilled enough to get his stick on the puck, Hodgson is an empty uniform.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad