Post-Game Talk (GBU): Re-Sign Miller

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
sports psychology degree rockin the internet right there, huh?

Boy you really want to take this to absurd levels just to be snarky and avoid an actually discussion.

Grigs isn't really NHL ready and playing him just to play him is not always the way to go. Plenty of players at this age and older have taken a seat in the press box from time time as they developed their NHL game. And frankly giving Larsson 1 shift, then putting him on the 4th line then 1 more shift on the 2nd line before permanently putting him on the 4th line then he sat along with his entire line is hardly giving the kid a chance to do anything.

Karate Johnson*

This team and coaching staff suck. We have some good piece for the future, but the short term(1-2 years) is gonna suck. Rolston will be gone before the playoffs are even an option.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Boy you really want to take this to absurd levels just to be snarky and avoid an actually discussion.

Grigs isn't really NHL ready and playing him just to play him is not always the way to go. Plenty of players at this age and older have taken a seat in the press box from time time as they developed their NHL game. And frankly giving Larsson 1 shift, then putting him on the 4th line then 1 more shift on the 2nd line before permanently putting him on the 4th line then he sat along with his entire line is hardly giving the kid a chance to do anything.

edited the post you are correct it was snarky and innappropriate

ill repeat the edit, do you want Grigorenko getting ice time with quality line mates, like we spent all of last season asking for, or do you want larsson getting that ice time while grigs sits on the bench

ones a potential top line center that cant go to rochester, the other is a potential third line center that can

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
This team and coaching staff suck. We have some good piece for the future, but the short term(1-2 years) is gonna suck. Rolston will be gone before the playoffs are even an option.

Rolston is going to be around longer than you think.

Unfortunately, sucking rocks is part of Darcy's master plan.

And your 1-2 year estimate is being kind.

3 to 4 is more like it, assuming this group of kids amounts to anything. That remains to be seen.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

ill repeat the edit, do you want Grigorenko getting ice time with quality line mates, like we spent all of last season asking for, or do you want larsson getting that ice time while grigs sits on the bench

ones a potential top line center that cant go to rochester, the other is a potential third line center that can

This question sets up a false dichotomy. Grigorenko had quality linemates whether they were Girgensons-Flynn or Ennis-Ott. Grigorenko changing lines didn't have a negative impact on Larsson, putting Porter with Girgensons-Flynn and Larsson with Scott-Kaleta did. That's really the issue with regards to Larsson getting buried, that he was buried for Porter.

Karate Johnson*

Rolston is going to be around longer than you think.

Unfortunately, sucking rocks is part of Darcy's master plan.

And your 1-2 year estimate is being kind.

3 to 4 is more like it, assuming this group of kids amounts to anything. That remains to be seen.

You're right. The Pegula hockey heaven superowner troll is the cruelest joke ever played on Buffalo sports. We were so much more competitive when we were poor.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I want it to be situational and game to game.

You can't create a culture of accountability and earning your spot if you gift Grigs ice time. Then in the post game rip his compete level and say its not good enough to compete with the talent on this level. Because thats exactly what Rolston did in the post game presser tonight.

Send Larsson down if he isn't going to get a chance to actually play.

And btw Larsson's upside is as a two way 2nd line center not as the 3rd line center you refer to him as. And lets be honest, two way centers are far more abundant and valuable on Cup winning teams than pure offensive centers

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
This question sets up a false dichotomy. Grigorenko had quality linemates whether they were Girgensons-Flynn or Ennis-Ott. Grigorenko changing lines didn't have a negative impact on Larsson, putting Porter with Girgensons-Flynn and Larsson with Scott-Kaleta did. That's really the issue with regards to Larsson getting buried, that he was buried for Porter.

who as the head coach pointed out was 1 of 3 players whose effort he appreciated and I agree, you arent going to break up the only line playing well in a 0-0 game at home, I hope eventually Larsson takes over for Porter, it wasnt happening tonight

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

You can't create a culture of accountability and earning your spot if you gift Grigs ice time. Then in the post game rip his compete level and say its not good enough to compete with the talent on this level. Because thats exactly what Rolston did in the post game presser tonight.

And btw Larsson's upside is as a two way 2nd line center not as the 3rd line center you refer to him as. And lets be honest, two way centers are far more abundant and valuable on Cup winning teams than pure offensive centers

What did Rolston say? I didn't see presser

Karate Johnson*

Rolston should start every press conference with "Thank you Sabres for the job that I am not qualified for, and did nothing to earn"

I still can't get over this guy as our coach.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Ugly: Ads on glass behind net...ugh...

You do know it's just on the TV feed right? There's no banners behind the nets at the arena.

Just got back home from the game. Thoughts...
G-
the hussle of...
Girgensons
Flynn
Ristolainen
Myers
Tallinder
Miller and Anderson were incredible
The crowd was actually decent. No real booing, no real prolonged cheering either though :dunno:
Opening player introduction and mini show was pretty cool.

B-
The lines were all mixed up like a hounds breakfast (tribute to Roby)
However I can understand Rolston trying to get offense from somewhere somehow
The neutral zone was a joke
Vanek, Hodgson, Ennis and Stafford all with limp games. I've seen them all much much better

U-
Impatience

Groooooooooowing Paaaaaaains

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What did Rolston say? I didn't see presser

Was asked what he thought of Grigs, and the reporter started to say something positive about Grigs and Ron cut him off with "he was ok, he made a few plays but his compete, like a lot of other guys, needs to be way, way ,way, way better at this level.

Ron was quite disgusted with his team in the presser

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
who as the head coach pointed out was 1 of 3 players whose effort he appreciated and I agree, you arent going to break up the only line playing well in a 0-0 game at home, I hope eventually Larsson takes over for Porter, it wasnt happening tonight

He already did break up the best line by moving Grigorenko off it. It remained the best line with Porter. He could have put Larsson there instead of Porter when he took Grigorenko off the line. How would that be breaking up "the best line" before it even existed?

He can appreciate Porter's effort all he wants, but that isn't going to make Porter an effective offensive player. If he was trying to send a message, fine, but that's another story. It's not a very good way to send a message unless you demote the players who are actually playing like crap.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012

i agree with the bolded and disagree with the part below it on several points mainly that a 2 way center doesnt mean a top 6 center, if Larsson is your #2 then you better resign Miller because Larsson isnt the offensive talent that Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko or even Girgensons is and they arent gonna produce enough to get this team wins, if Larsson becomes a consistent 50 point player I will consider him surpassing expectations, If Grigorenko becomes a consistent 50 point Ill be disappointed thats how high he peaked

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Some of you guys want a player like MacKinnon but apparently can't handle the losing it takes to get a top 3 pick. Reinhart is the real deal and the team could use a player like him just as much as MacKinnon. The rookies played great and at this point I'm not going to get angry at how the vets played. I am however gravitating to cutting ties with Tyler Ennis sooner rather than later however. The team needs speed but they need players who have a strong Hockey IQ and it's very apparent Ennis doesn't have that.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
i agree with the bolded and disagree with the part below it on several points mainly that a 2 way center doesnt mean a top 6 center, if Larsson is your #2 then you better resign Miller because Larsson isnt the offensive talent that Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko or even Girgensons is and they arent gonna produce enough to get this team wins, if Larsson becomes a consistent 50 point player I will consider him surpassing expectations, If Grigorenko becomes a consistent 50 point Ill be disappointed thats how high he peaked

You don't have to agree with it but Larsson's upside is a 2nd line two way center. I have no idea if he'll reach it but thats not the point.

And thanks for telling me that a two way cetner doesn't equal a top 6 center. I had no idea. :shakehead

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
Ask what he thought of Grigs, and the reporter started to say something positive about Grigs and Ron cut him with "he was ok, he made a few plays but his compete, like a lot of other guys, needs to be way, way ,way, way better at this level.

Have to agree with that. Yeah, he dished one great pass to Flynn in front of the net, but that's it. Considering he can't give, by far as much effort as Girgs and Flynn, he needs to show a lot more.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Good: Calgary took Washington to a shootout and beat CBJ tonight, and both were on the road. I think they're our biggest competition for the 1st overall pick, but they look decent so far. Monahan is a stud.

Was asked what he thought of Grigs, and the reporter started to say something positive about Grigs and Ron cut him off with "he was ok, he made a few plays but his compete, like a lot of other guys, needs to be way, way ,way, way better at this level.

Was Hamilton the one asking the question? He loves to state his opinion as a question.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Good: Calgary took Washington to a shootout and beat CBJ tonight, and both were on the road. I think they're our biggest competition for the 1st overall pick.

Was Hamilton the one asking the question? He loves to state his opinion as a question.

I don't think so. It sounded like Harrington

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
He already did break up the best line by moving Grigorenko off it. It remained the best line with Porter. He could have put Larsson there instead of Porter when he took Grigorenko off the line. How would that be breaking up "the best line" before it even existed?

He can appreciate Porter's effort all he wants, but that isn't going to make Porter an effective offensive player. If he was trying to send a message, fine, but that's another story. It's not a very good way to send a message unless you demote the players who are actually playing like crap.

you are trying to argue that moving a rookie who, as of the end of this game has 2 NHL games ever, was going to change something

Rolston decided "hey I'm gonna move my only veteran playing worth his jock strap onto the line with kids playing the best hockey of the game" you are trying to fault him for attempting to put someone who can be relied on to back check and maintain his responsibilities on the defensive end instead of a kid in his second NHL game. Im sorry I just dont understand how your point can be any more right than what actually happened without us replaying the game over again to see if Larsson helped create a goal or if he made a rookie mistake that cost one or if nothing changed at all

you wanted the rookie, the guy with professional experience wanted the veteran, you could reverse the choices and Im gonna side with the guy on the bench over the guy on the internet

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Good: Calgary took Washington to a shootout and beat CBJ tonight, and both were on the road. I think they're our biggest competition for the 1st overall pick, but they look decent so far. Monahan is a stud.

Definitely wasn't Hamilton, he craps on Grigorenko every chance he gets it seems.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
G: Since we're going to lose a lot, losing like THAT is fun. Also, nice to see Miller start pumping up his trade value. Have to mention Girgensons as well... he does not look out of place in this league.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
You don't have to agree with it but Larsson's upside is a 2nd line two way center. I have no idea if he'll reach it but thats not the point.

And thanks for telling me that a two way cetner doesn't equal a top 6 center. I had no idea. :shakehead

potential 1st line center is still > potential second line center (which we already have one signed for 6 years and have 2 other guys playing wing that can fill that spot)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad