Re-rating

looksshootsscores

Jul 2, 2010
Hi all.
Little bit of an overwhelming task, but with some extra free time (I'm working from home and working half the amount of time as usual), I wanted to play GM/Franch. mode, but just couldn't get over some absolutely egregious player ratings/potential evaluations and from what, in my opinion, made trade values, contract demands and statistical achievements unrealistic.

So far, I've gone through every NHL team and some of their farm/prospects placed in non-AHL teams as well. I even took a look at the entire 2016 draft class among skaters with at least 20 NHL GP. I wouldn't say my ratings changes were earth-shattering, but it did produce 15 ratings changes (most cases a bump of 1-2 to their overalls or the odd instance of a slight downgrade--Fabbro for ex., went 82 to 81 after putting his off. awareness back to earth (think it was 87...)

I've devised a system for rating defense that has worked OK so far. I put every defenseman from each overall rating 91 & on into a box (similar to that dumb lunch room meme that was going around for a bit) and based on my opinion (after awhile you almost have the rating in your mind and some statistical references--and reading Pronman, Wheeler, Forecaster, LastWord, etc.) I determine if they should be moved up a table or down. For ex., Sergachev,84, was re-upped to 86, with a comparison of he and some of the initial 86 members--though 85 could be understandable as well. 84 did not seem appropriate based on others in this table (Spurgeon, Pulock, Faulk..) just to name a few.

For D this has been effective and it could be effective for centers too--but wingers, I wonder if there is an easier way to go about changes but am planning on trying this.

I'm sharing in part, to see your thoughts on this system and to ask what other ways you've determined some of these tougher calls. My next step is going to be evaluating prospects--I've already had some head aches (Jack Quinn, Ty Smith, etc.) but am hoping to wrap it up before Jan. when I have to use up a few weeks of vacation days and can really get down to the GM Mode.

Of course my luck--there will be a full roster update with NCAA-signed players on their AHL affiliates (ha!)

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts and have a great day, holiday and if possible, a somewhat OK rest of the year!
-lss

Reactions: Trizz617

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Hi, thanks for sharing. Yeah the ratings are awful. There's very little change between 20 & 21, and it really bothers me too... I basically go through and edit *everybody* :laugh: Your post focused on D, so I will too.... two reasons, really ~ first, you have guys like Cernak (77 iirc) or Weegar (78) who are super low rated when they're top guys on their team irl... second, teams like Carolina or the Islanders (whose bread and butter is their dcore) tend to need lots of work. I can't get over how bad the NYI are.... Adam Pelech, third pairing guy....

I try to use the existing rating framework... ie 87/88 elite, top pairing, true #1 types ~ guys like Parayko/McAvoy are boosted, while Doughty/OEL types are nerfed as I see fit.... 82+ are top 4 guys, with the higher rated guys (Pulock/Ekholm types) are your #2/3 types... I treat 80/81 as 5s or top 4 fill ins, and anything below that as third pairing or depth guys.

I do lots of tinkering with specific ratings. Speed, shot attributes, defensive ability, physicality, you name it. Top shutdown guys like Parayko get defensive awareness boosted to the mid 90s, while a guy like Yandle or Krug might get their defense nerfed (I treat 85 as average awareness for top 4 and 83 as average awareness for third pairing/depth guys)... lots of default EA ratings seem to make guys physical who actually aren't, or don't have clear seperation of the real burners from the guys with more average speed

Goalies can be pretty bad too ~ Holtby (whom I like) has been rated an elite guy for years now when he really hasn't been. At least for 21 they seemed to nerf a few stalwarts like Bobrovsky & Lundqvist...

Forwards are probably the closest, but I tinker there as well.... mostly to make small adjustments.... I should mention I nerf guys like Zuccarello, JvR or Turris (before Nashville bought him out) to reflect just how poor their contracts are. The 83/85 rule for defensive awareness applies here too, split between top 6 and bottom 6 guys

Plan to do the prospects eventually, but I've got my hands full as is ;)

One last point ~ one other thing I've picked up from other people is not being afraid to give special players seemingly kinda obscene ratings... I wanted Panarin to be one of the best wingers in the game (ended up a 92 iirc) so he has some pretty insane offensive awareness, puckhandling and shooting.... true to life, I suppose :laugh:

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Forwards

Superstars - 90+

Elite 1st Line Players - 86-89

Top 6 - 82-85

3rd Line Players - 78-81

4th Line Players - 75-77

Borderline NHLers - 70-74
----------------------------------

Defensemen

Superstars - 90+

Top 4 - 84-89

Top 6 - 77-83

Just a head's up when it comes to goalie editing :

Consistency 2 /2 = Bad

Consistency 0 /2 = Great.

I think every goalie is at 1 except for Holtby. It was like that in NHL20 and previous versions...

Also look at the Attribute Effect in the settings. I usually put it at 6 or 7 (NHL20). It's design to create separation between players.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The ratings template EA use (well, they don't really seem to follow them consistently, but if you open a player up in franchise mode you can see their role) is:

85+: First line forward / Top pairing defenseman / Elite goaltender
82-84: Top 6 Forward / Top 4 defenseman / Starting goaltender
79-81: Top 9 Forward / Top 6 defenseman / Fringe starting goaltender
77-78: Bottom six forward / 7th defenseman / Backup goaltender

But as I pointed out, EA is widely inconsistent. In realilty "backup goaltender" is more of a good #3 goalie while and "Fringe starter" is your average backup.

Also, top 9 forwards will show up as either "Top 9 scoring forward" or "Top 9 checking forward" depending if they are a sniper/playmaker/power forward or a 2-way forward/grinder respectively.

The same goes for the forwards in the 77-78 range. Offensive minded guys will show up as "depth forwards", as they are tweeners. Sort of too good for the AHL, but doesn't fit the typical 4th line role. Think Brandon Pirri or Tomas Jurco. Meanwhile, defensive minded forwards will show up as "bottom six forward", and you're likely to find guys in the 75-76 overall range in this category also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->