Re-naming each division

Big Tony

Jun 11, 2019
The BC, U.S, Central, and Eastern division names are about as plain as the bagel I had for breakfast. If it were up to you, how would you re-name each division?

BC Division -> (Jarome) Iginla Division
U.S. Division -> (Carey) Price Division
Central Division -> (Jay) Bouwmeester Division
Eastern Division -> (Theo) Fleury Division

I'm sure some of you old geezers have some stronger suggestions, but would love to hear some different ideas, names of former players, landmarks, etc.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Knowing how provincial junior hockey fans are, I can't imagine anything they would hate more than having to play in a division named after a rival player, so I doubt the oh-so-very-conservative WHL would ever go for this. Kelowna, I am sure, would separate and form its own league before they ever allowed themselves to play in a division named after a Blazer. But this is not real life, it's the Internet, so I'll play along.

So let's say they renamed divisions after a player. Let's make the criteria two fold: player had to have been from the geographic footprint of the division and player had to have played in the area currently bounded by the division. Who ya got?

BC Division: Shea Weber Division
US Division: Tyler Johnson Division
Central Division: Ryan Getzlaf Division
Eastern Division: Bobby Clarke Division

Reactions: Big Tony

Kamsurvey

Apr 18, 2019
Knowing how provincial junior hockey fans are, I can't imagine anything they would hate more than having to play in a division named after a rival player, so I doubt the oh-so-very-conservative WHL would ever go for this. Kelowna, I am sure, would separate and form its own league before they ever allowed themselves to play in a division named after a Blazer. But this is not real life, it's the Internet, so I'll play along.

So let's say they renamed divisions after a player. Let's make the criteria two fold: player had to have been from the geographic footprint of the division and player had to have played in the area currently bounded by the division. Who ya got?

BC Division: Shea Weber Division
US Division: Tyler Johnson Division
Central Division: Ryan Getzlaf Division
Eastern Division: Bobby Clarke Division

Getzlaf doesn't fit your criteria though... he is from Regina. I agree with your first statement in regards to not naming it after players. Maybe it would make more sense to name them after iconic coaches or Gm's from the past. Most leagues now have geographic descriptions for their divisions, likely for the same reasons we are listing...

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
What's wrong with the current names? Isn't the point of the division names to tell you who's in them? The f*** do I know who's playing in the Iginla Division unless you show me a list?

Reactions: Tarantula

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think geographical names are best, especially for casual fans.

I think we need a goalscorer award though. Ferarro should donate one.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think geographical names are best, especially for casual fans.

I think we need a goalscorer award though. Ferarro should donate one.

There are 108 reasons to agree with this.

Trail sure punches above it's weight it producing hockey talent.

Reactions: Tarantula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad