Re-Draft: 1999

ThatOneGuy*

Re-drafts are terrible. Zetterberg at 5? The guy was barely 160 lbs on a good day when he was drafted. Stefan was the only guy that was really a bad move. Going on hype alone, Brendl should have gone #1. At the time, a goal scoring machine with one of the best shots in the world, destroys records in the WHL, yeah no one is taking an unknown, undersized Zetterberg over him :shakehead

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We know that now, but was it also considered a bad draft in'99?

At the time, it was actually considered quite a strong draft. The top 4 picks were hyped every bit as much or more than any top group in recent memory, and the rest of the draft was thought to be fairly solid as well.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I think that Niklas Kronwall would have been selected in TOP 10 in 1999. He was eligible for 1999 draft, but wasn't selelcted because of size(he was 155 lbs).

BDubinskyNYR17*

Not even close as bad. 2000 was an OK draft. 1999 is probably the worst draft of all-time.

and the rangers took 2 busts in the first round in that 99 draft. and it was a bad draft so that is explainable but what is more shocking is that in an 03 deep draft, the Rangers are the only team from the first round to not have a player in the NHL from that draft. Jessiman aint even doing well at the AHL level.

GNick42

I really critized Reggie Houle at the time for trading the Habs #1 pick for Trevor Linden. But, wow...what a deal

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Ouch. :badidea: Was it the Blues? And Sampson? Maybe he'll pick Olimb in the mid-rounds this year for the Avs:sarcasm:

yeah. st. louis.

olimb?? i dont know. he might have a chanse. he did well in he's rookie season in the GET league. but i have to say he chanses of getting drafted are extremely small.

dank

Jan 11, 2006
NYC
and the rangers took 2 busts in the first round in that 99 draft. and it was a bad draft so that is explainable but what is more shocking is that in an 03 deep draft, the Rangers are the only team from the first round to not have a player in the NHL from that draft. Jessiman aint even doing well at the AHL level.

oh my god..

let

it

go...

this is about the '99 draft..

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
yeah. st. louis.

olimb?? i dont know. he might have a chanse. he did well in he's rookie season in the GET league. but i have to say he chanses of getting drafted are extremely small.

My point exactly;). He'll take some no-name norwegian center over a future star. Know it's unfair to say as every team misses out on someone in the later rounds, I just don't know what to expect of the draft this year. With Hammett running the show, we always knew he'd get some really good players even with few and late-round picks. Just hope we don't end up with a fistfull of russians....

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
My point exactly;). He'll take some no-name norwegian center over a future star. Know it's unfair to say as every team misses out on someone in the later rounds, I just don't know what to expect of the draft this year. With Hammett running the show, we always knew he'd get some really good players even with few and late-round picks. Just hope we don't end up with a fistfull of russians....

lol. i see. well being a wings fan i dont mind that every other team missed out on zetterberg;)

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
How would you redraft the 1999 Draft 16 years later?

I've got Zetterberg penciled in as the #1 pick. Off the board indeed.
nah both sedins are better imo, but i think that a team might take z-berg just because they doubt that the sedins would play for the team without one another. Also i thought how the heck did people have havalat, and miller over the sedins, i thought the hate for the sedins had reached a new level b4 seeing this thread was from 2007.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
nah both sedins are better imo, but i think that a team might take z-berg just because they doubt that the sedins would play for the team without one another. Also i thought how the heck did people have havalat, and miller over the sedins, i thought the hate for the sedins had reached a new level b4 seeing this thread was from 2007.

I don't think you're going to get a lot of people agreeing with you that the Sedins are better than Zetterberg, as a Canuck fan I would say at best they're a tie. I do agree however that Z goes first and the Sedins 2-3.

Holy Necroposting though...

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Sedins the consensus second and third almost 16 years later (and 8 years after this OP has them there too!) :laugh:

Typical that the Canucks at one point or another would have the best players (Sedins, Miller, Vrbata, Pyatt) of one of the worst drafts ever. :laugh:

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
Not gonna lie I was wondering why the **** did everyone agreed with OP with having Havlat #1 before seeing that it was from 2007 haha.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
What a horrible draft. If it wasn't the Sedin's it would have been one of the worst ever...

EDIT : Forgot abut Zetterberg. Still a really bad draft.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I think this really puts into perspective just how bad this draft was. I had a LOT of trouble finding people to put in from about 23-28.

1 Atlanta - Martin Havlat
2 Vancouver - D. Sedin
3 Vancouver - H. Sedin
4 NY Rangers - Henrik Zetterberg
5 NY Islanders - Ryan Miller
6 Nashville - Tim Connolly
7 Washington - Mike Comrie
8 NY Islanders - Frantisek Kaberle
9 NY Rangers - Barret Jackman
10 NY Islanders - Jordan Leopold
11 Calgary - Nick Boynton
12 Florida - Ryan Malone
13 Edmonton - Martin Erat
14 San Jose - Garnet Exelby
15 Phoenix - Taylor Pyatt
16 Carolina - Niclas Havelid
17 St. Louis - Radim Vrbata
18 Pittsburgh - Niklas Hagman
19 Phoenix - Chris Kelly
20 Buffalo - Radek Martinek
21 Boston - Branko Radivojevic
22 Philadelphia - Mike Commodore
23 Chicago - Oleg Saprykin
24 Toronto - Steve McCarthy
25 Colorado - Alexander Khavanov
26 Ottawa - Adam Hall
27 New Jersey - Andrew Hutchinson
28 NY Islanders - Tom Kostopoulos

sorry--but to redo the 1999 draft you would need to undo the trades before draft day that Burke made--no way in Hell Atlanta do those trades again

try redrafting

with

TB 1----H Sedin
Atlanta 2- D Sedin
Nucks 3-Zetterberg
Hawks 4-- Havlet
and then the order the drafted--I do not see the hawks do the trades they did seeing how things turned out and I do not see if Atlanta has a time machines they

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015

sorry--but to redo the 1999 draft you would need to undo the trades before draft day that Burke made--no way in Hell Atlanta do those trades again

try redrafting

with

TB 1----H Sedin
Atlanta 2- D Sedin
Nucks 3-Zetterberg
Hawks 4-- Havlet
and then the order the drafted--I do not see the hawks do the trades they did seeing how things turned out and I do not see if Atlanta has a time machines they

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

No way the Sedins go ahead of Zetterberg in a redraft. Not even close. It doesn't even matter that Henrik has a Hart and an Art Ross, and Daniel has an Art Ross. It's a crying shame Zetterberg doesn't have a Hart considering the year he had in 07-08 where he scored 92 in 75, and then went on to score 27 points in 22 games en route to a Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe. Something the Sedins will never get to put on their resume. The Sedins are in the Hall of Very good. Zetterberg is a future HHOF, albeit not a first ballot HOFer. Theres a reason why Zetterberg wears the C when they play internationally, and the Sedins don't. The goal in the NHL is to win the Cup. Zetterberg has one, and a Conn Smythe. With hindsight, there is not a single GM who picks the Sedins over Zetterberg, if his goal is to get to the promised land and win.

Also, while the Sedins have played about 200 more games than Zetterberg, he edges them out in ppg by a decent margin.

Zetterberg- .94 ppg in the regular season. .90 ppg in the playoffs
H. Sedin- .84 ppg in the regular season. .74 ppg in the playoffs
D. Sedin- .83 ppg in the regular season. .70 ppg in the playoffs.

If you adjust for difference in games played, it's fair to say that they have produced pretty evenly on offense.

You also have to take into account that Zetterberg has been a Selke Caliber forward throughout his career. He finished top 10 in Selke voting 5 times throughout his career, and while Datsyuk gets all the hype defensively there was a reason why Babcock matched Zetterberg against the Crosby's, Toews' and Getzlaf's of the world and not Datsyuk.

In conclusion, the Sedins better than Zetterberg? Don't make me laugh. It's close but there's an edge and it goes to Zetterberg.

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
I wonder what kind of players the Sedins would have become if they were drafted by separate teams?

If they somehow ended up in North America on separate teams, I think they would have generally scored ~65 points and maybe peaked as 80 point soft two-way forwards. However, it's possible that they would have had a few elite seasons if they were paired with elite talent, as their hockey sense is undeniable. Henrik might have become a better but softer version of Mikko Koivu.

They would have become underrated players that quietly put together decent careers, in the mold of Elias or Hejduk.

Last edited:

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams

No way the Sedins go ahead of Zetterberg in a redraft. Not even close. It doesn't even matter that Henrik has a Hart and an Art Ross, and Daniel has an Art Ross. It's a crying shame Zetterberg doesn't have a Hart considering the year he had in 07-08 where he scored 92 in 75, and then went on to score 27 points in 22 games en route to a Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe. Something the Sedins will never get to put on their resume. The Sedins are in the Hall of Very good. Zetterberg is a future HHOF, albeit not a first ballot HOFer. Theres a reason why Zetterberg wears the C when they play internationally, and the Sedins don't. The goal in the NHL is to win the Cup. Zetterberg has one, and a Conn Smythe. With hindsight, there is not a single GM who picks the Sedins over Zetterberg, if his goal is to get to the promised land and win.

Also, while the Sedins have played about 200 more games than Zetterberg, he edges them out in ppg by a decent margin.

If you adjust for difference in games played, it's fair to say that they have produced pretty evenly on offense.

You also have to take into account that Zetterberg has been a Selke Caliber forward throughout his career. He finished top 10 in Selke voting 5 times throughout his career, and while Datsyuk gets all the hype defensively there was a reason why Babcock matched Zetterberg against the Crosby's, Toews' and Getzlaf's of the world and not Datsyuk.

In conclusion, the Sedins better than Zetterberg? Don't make me laugh. It's close but there's an edge and it goes to Zetterberg.

:sarcasm: Whoa there big guy no ones going to take anything away from your Selke caliber, "C" wearing, god among boys.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Using career ppg is dumb, Sedins were 3rd line players until the lockout. Its definitely a toss up. Zetterberg would probably go first though only because you only get one Sedin. And i love how you say "it doesnt even matter if he has an art ross or hart" , but the Conn Smyth is "everything" How many hart trophy AND art ross winners are out of the hall of fame?

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
:sarcasm: Whoa there big guy no ones going to take anything away from your Selke caliber, "C" wearing, god among boys.

Fair enough. I admit I made a mistake there. I believe my overall point still stands, though.

Using career ppg is dumb, Sedins were 3rd line players until the lockout. Its definitely a toss up. Zetterberg would probably go first though only because you only get one Sedin. And i love how you say "it doesnt even matter if he has an art ross or hart" , but the Conn Smyth is "everything" How many hart trophy AND art ross winners are out of the hall of fame?

Zetterberg in his first two seasons was not getting first line minutes either. It wasn't until after the lockout that Zetterberg started getting played in every situation as well. And while comparing ppg isn't the best metric, there aren't a whole lot of metrics you can use. Zetterberg and the Sedins are fairly even offensively, I completely agree on that point. Although, I do think Zetterberg has an edge over the Sedins when it comes to producing offense in the playoffs. Zetterberg has a distinct edge defensively. I don't know how much stock you want to put in leadership/intangibles, but I guess we can say it's a wash for all intents and purposes. (No point arguing/debating something that subjective, although I'm sure you know who I give the edge to).

I don't believe the Conn Smythe is everything, although I do value it highly.

And when I said it doesn't even matter that H. Sedin has a Hart and Art Ross, I think my comment came off the wrong way. I'm not trying to devalue the Sedins accomplishments at all, and I apologize if it sounded like I did. I was just trying to get the point across that, while Henrik Sedin has a Hart and Art Ross, that does not make him better than Zetterberg, imo.

As far as I know there are not any players who have won a Hart and an Art Ross and are not in the HOF. Henrik could become the first though especially if you compare his career to others who have won both awards.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
1.2.3 The swedish bros, I don't care how you order it
4.5 Havlat and Miller, just depends how you interpret Havlat's injury history

then....no one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad