46. Finley
47. Kostitsyn
48. Mikko Lehtonen
49. Scott Jackson
50. Jason Bailey

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Where would Morten Madsen go? He's been tearing it up in the QMJHL and is from a non-traditional hockey country, so he goes under the radar.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This is probably one of the better ones I've seen. My only misgivings would be Rask and Lee. Rask shows all the signs of being a good goalie, is playing excellent, but so was Hannu Toivonen, who has yet to put it together at the NHL level. Lee just seems like, not a bust, but a player who would have been better off being selected in the second round.

Thanks for the compliment. I think Rask is on par with Price, so I would tend to put him that high at #7, and really - no one behind him is a world beater. As for Lee - he's silky smooth and has loads of potential, I thinktop 15 is fair for him.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I haven't heard too much of Mark Fraser moving up in the draft, really looks like a steal for NJ in the 3rd round. No offense but a rock on the backend.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Thanks for the compliment. I think Rask is on par with Price, so I would tend to put him that high at #7, and really - no one behind him is a world beater. As for Lee - he's silky smooth and has loads of potential, I thinktop 15 is fair for him.

Well, we need another year or two to be more sure, so no one here is 100% right or wrong. This is all for fun (like the stock market of hockey!!).

But...I think Lee's value is NOT at top 15 right now, maybe top 20/top 25 (some or most people here might agree with me...:dunno: , but this is just my opinion. So, it doesn't mean you're wrong, I'm right! I just believe that if a draft were re-done today, Lee wouldn't go top 15 (according to GM's re-selecting the players from 2005).

I definitely DO see a GM drafting Rask in top 10 or top 15...instead of the old position he was at (drafted 21st overall). So RASK's value definitely went UP in last year and half (doesn't matter that he wasn't top goalie in this year's WJC, and Finland wasn't one of the better teams this year, maybe next year? & everyone knows Rask is a very good prospect).

Joretus

Rask is playing way better than Toivonen when he was the same age.

Yeah, as addition atm Tuukka's save percentage is 92.7% while Kari Lehtonen had same age behind a lot better team 92.8%. Not saying Tuukka will be so good as Kari is or having same potential, but he surely is closer to Lehtonen when it comes to potential than to Toivonen. And that's nothing taking away from Toivonen.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
My top 50

1. Crosby
2. Johnson
3. Kopitar
4. Pouliot- Kids coming around in the AHL
5. Brule
6. Price
7. Ryan
8. Latendresse
9. Skille
10. Bourdon
11. Franson
12. Lashoff
13. Vlasic
14. Rask
15. Hanzal
16. Staal
17. Kindl
18. Parent
19. Oshie
20. Lee
21. Bergfors
22. Stasny
23. Zagrapan
24. Stoa
25. Mikkelson
26. Downie
27. Bourret
28. O'Marra
29. Setoguchi
30. Yandle
31. Cogliano
32. Pyatt
33. McCardle
34.Niskanen
35. Mark Fraser
36. Chorney
37. Pelech
38. Frazee
39. Sauer
40. Pokoluk
41. Mihalik
42. Pavelec
43. Russel
43. Letang
44. JD Watt
46. Finley
47. Kostitsyn
48. Mikko Lehtonen
49. Scott Jackson
50. Jason Bailey

What has Staal done, in your opinion, to make him drop 4 spots?

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
What has Staal done, in your opinion, to make him drop 4 spots?

I feel he has been overhyped and is overrated. I don't see his NHL upside as being the dominant shutdown type d-man that many do. He's solid in his own zone but I dont see him contributing a great deal offensively or to the physical part of the game. I also think his WJC contributions have been overrated and his partner Parent on the other hand hasn't gotten the credit he's deserved for forming the other half of the duo. I feel Staal will be in the AHL next year as well, not the NHL like Im sure the majority here feels.

It's definitely not the view of the majority but that wasn't the majorities list was it?

As far as the Lashoff comment, I certainly disagree. Matt Lashoff has already contributed at the National Hockey League level throughout his stints up there. He's showed ability to contribute in all areas of the game and I feel his upside is very good.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
the previous year the caps finished tied with every other team in the league at 0-0-0

This is flawed logic. It would only be true if the league had given every team an equal chance. The league based the number of lottery balls each team got on previous performance. It was a draft designed to favor certain teams over others. The Caps were one of a few teams who were screwed by the whole debacle.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
My top 50

1. Crosby
2. Johnson
3. Kopitar
4. Pouliot- Kids coming around in the AHL
5. Brule
6. Price
7. Ryan
8. Latendresse
9. Skille
10. Bourdon
11. Franson
12. Lashoff
13. Vlasic
14. Rask
15. Hanzal
16. Staal
17. Kindl
18. Parent
19. Oshie
20. Lee
21. Bergfors
22. Stasny
23. Zagrapan
24. Stoa
25. Mikkelson
26. Downie
27. Bourret
28. O'Marra
29. Setoguchi
30. Yandle
31. Cogliano
32. Pyatt
33. McCardle
34.Niskanen
35. Mark Fraser
36. Chorney
37. Pelech
38. Frazee
39. Sauer
40. Pokoluk
41. Mihalik
42. Pavelec
43. Russel
43. Letang
44. JD Watt
46. Finley
47. Kostitsyn
48. Mikko Lehtonen
49. Scott Jackson
50. Jason Bailey

Just my opinion, but...I still think many GM's would take Staal before Bourdon (I could be absolutely wrong!;) 'cause Bourdon has that great shot + is physical/big/can fight). And...I may agree with you (a bit!) on Staal being a tad overrated. I expected to see a lot more from him in the WJC (expected more hits, bruising shutdown style, etc...I didn't see that). In the longrun though (in the future) Staal may be a very good top 3, top 4 D-man. Upside: top 2 D-man. Downside: good #4-5 Dman.

Just me, but I'd probably take Kopitar over JJ...also depends on teams' needs. And/but...those two can be tied at #2 spot overall...

About Lashoff...his value is going higher and higher!! (count me in as a voter for Lashoff!), but maybe it's also due to his beautiful shootout goal! (just kidding!).

Also...maybe Stuart was let go from Boston since they have a good one in Lashoff, no?
Lashoff may possibly be ready for the #6 D-position next year...

Espo7

Feb 11, 2007
Vancouver, BC
www.geocities.com
This could be fun!:) Redo the entire 1st and 2nd Rounds of 2005.
Which players would you move UP? Which players would you move DOWN?

Thanks to "BobbyOrr4ever" for this idea:) :D

Here is the entire 1st and 2nd round:

1st round
1 Pittsburgh Sidney Crosby C
2 Anaheim Bobby Ryan R
3 Carolina Jack Johnson D
4 Minnesota Benoit Pouliot L
5 Mtl. Canadiens Carey Price G
6 Columbus Gilbert Brule C
7 Chicago Jack Skille R
8 San Jose Devin Setoguchi R
9 Ottawa Brian Lee D
10 Vancouver Luc Bourdon D
11 Los Angeles Anze Kopitar C
12 NY Rangers Marc Staal D
13 Buffalo Marek Zagrapan C
14 Washington Sasha Pokulok D
15 NY Islanders Ryan O'Marra C
16 Atlanta Alex Bourret R
17 Phoenix Martin Hanzal C
18 Nashville Ryan Parent D
19 Detroit Jakub Kindl D
20 Florida Kendall McArdle L
21 Toronto Tuukka Rask G
22 Boston Matt Lashoff D
23 New Jersey Nicklas Bergfors W
24 St. Louis T.J. Oshie C
25 Edmonton Andrew Cogliano C
26 Calgary Matt Pelech D
27 Washington Joe Finley D
28 Dallas Matt Niskanen D
29 Philadelphia Steve Downie R

Well for sure guys like Latendresse, Stastny, Vlasic and Letang could be easily be first rounders(Letang early second). Brendan Mikkelson and ONdrej PAvelec also both have improved a lot and wouldn't have been surprise first rounders now. I think someone would almost have to take Kopitar second overall now. Parent and Hanzal could also be more suited to the top 10 over "maybe" Lee and Setoguchi.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
As a Kings fan, I love this draft. Kopitar and Johnson. And to think Lombardi was trying to pry Staal from the Rangers last week.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Here's my list. I took a couple of thing into consideration:

- As the new CBA permit the UFA age at a younger age, goaltender have a tad less value than in 2005.

- Players who have proven they can be effective in the NHL is a plus.

- Players with frequent injuries are lower on my list.

I'm not a prospect genius, so perhaps I miss out a couple of prospects. Don't tell me my list is awful, because I forgot a ''can't miss'' prospect (mostly on your favourite team). It's easy to point out your team prospect that you're following 365 days a year, but to have an overall view of every team prospect while being objective is a pretty difficult thing.

ROUND 1
1)1 Sidney Crosby (C)
2)11 Anze Kopitar (C)
3)3 Jack Johnson (D)
4)44 Paul Stastny (C)
5)35 Marc-Edouard Vlasic (D)
6)5 Carey Price (G)
7)45 Guillaume Latendresse (RW)
8)2 Bobby Ryan (RW)
9)10 Luc Bourdon (D)
10)12 Marc Staal (D)
11)29 Steve Downie (RW)
12)6 Gilbert Brule (C)
13)24 T.J. Oshie (C)
14)8 Devin Setoguchi (RW)
15)4 Benoit Pouliot (LW)
16)7 Jack Skille (RW)
17)23 Nicklas Bergfors (RW)
18)9 Brian Lee (D)
19)25 Andrew Cogliano (C)
20)17 Martin Hanzal (C)
21)15 Ryan O'Marra (C)
22)18 Ryan Parent (D)
23)16 Alex Bourret (RW)
24)22 Matt Lashoff (D)
25)13 Marek Zagrapan (C)
26)19 Jakub Kindl (D)
27)21 Tuukka Rask (G)
28)33 James Neal (LW)
29)62 Kristopher Letang (D)
30)41 Ondrej Pavelec (G)

ROUND 2
31)79 Cody Franson (D)
32)31 Brendan Mikkelson (D)
33)74 Dan Ryder (C)
34)120 Slava Trukhno (C)
35)32 Tyler Plante (G)
36)75 Perttu Lindgren (C)
37)105 Keith Yandle (D)
38)39 Petr Kalus (C)
39)38 Jeff Frazee (G)
40)26 Matt Pelech (D)
41)14 Sasha Pokulok (D)
42)107 Tom Pyatt (C)
43)43 Michael Blunden (RW)
44)34 Ryan Stoa (C)
45)200 Sergei Kostitsyn
46)67 Kris Russell (D)
47)46 Dustin Kohn (D)
48)132 Darren Helm (RW)
49)36 Taylor Chorney (D)
50)30 Vladimir Mihalik (D)
51)46 Dustin Kohn (D)
52)40 Michael Sauer (D)
53)56 Marc-Andre Cliche (RW)
54)87 Marc-Andre Gragnani (D)
55)28 Matt Niskanen (D)
56)27 Joe Finley (D)
57)81 Danny Syvret (D)
58)54 Dan Bertram (RW)
59)20 Kenndal McArdle (LW)
60)42 Justin Abdelkader (LW)

Flame away! :madfire:

Last edited:

toshiro

Jun 14, 2005
Western Canuckland
You just made this thread even more interesting!!;) :)
And...you just may have a strong point there.

I'm probably being waaaaay too nice with HAB prospects;):p:.
I'll move Kostitsyn to the 2nd Round (from 7th round to 2nd round). But, I believe that a team would now choose him in the 1st Round...I could be wrong, of course! (at worst...in the 2nd round).
I can move Latendresse towards 9th or 10th? I really believe that Latendresse will just get better and better (& I swear I was a major doubter when he was on the 4th line with Begin and Murray...it just didn't work...he has to be on the 1st or 2nd line). Why so high on LAtendresse? he's consistently playing on the 2nd or 1st line in the NHL (now), and he's improving and impressing at the same time (I'm now a believer...more now then when he was on the 4th line).
Price is a potential franchise goalie. If he turns out even close to that then it was worth it. IMO, the goalie is the most important position...(ex: Luongo 4th overall...M-A Fleury 1st overall...Lehtonen 1st overall? or Lehtonen was definitely top 3 overall...).

Downie impressed me in the WJC...I think (in the NHL) he'll be a solid 3rd liner (maybe even a solid 2nd liner). He should bring energy and solid two-way defense to the NHL + his agitating ways...
At first he (Downie) reminded me of Jordin Tootoo (both are approx. 5'10, 195 lbs, righthanded, agitators...). Downie should be better, more offensive upside (IMO). The worst that can happen...Downie will be one of the best 4th liners in the NHL!!;)
Right now (maybe) I should put Downie at #19 'cause I'd probably take Downie over Setoguchi!, but I'm not a professional scout...I could be absolutely wrong here but I'd still take at least 15 players or more ahead of Downie (Crosby, Kopitar, Staal, J Johnson, Price, Pouliot, Brule, Latendresse, Skille, Bourdon, Rask, Ryan, Vlasic, Stastny, Oshie...MAYBE even Cogliano over Downie 'cause of the offensive/speed upside). Just my opinion (one Hab fan here!...one!!).These are just my opinions, nothing is a fact. Not everyone will be happy with this list (below)...feel free to RE-DO it & put Downie in top 5 or top 10 (I won't feel offended!).

Cheers:)
How is Kottitsyn not better than Segotuchi?

Joretus

Flame away! :madfire:

Not flaming, but Rask value haven't surely going down. Ie. this season he is second best goalie in stats playing behind of team which is below avarage. After WJC he have posted allmost 95% save percentage in 11 games and his whole stats are about same as Kari Lehtonen's at same age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->