Re: Borje Salming: would anyone know...

phillydownsouth

Giroux is your daddy
Sep 18, 2019
This doesnt help much but it was before 1986 when he cut his face. Digging to see if i can find anything. Pretty specific

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
...which years he wore his JOFA helmet with the Leafs?

I'm trying to identify the date of a photo of him that I have in my possession.

Thanks in advance.

Would it help us help you, if you shared the photo so we can see it too?

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
I went to torontopubliclibrary and compared photos on him which are marked with years. In your photo it seems he is wearing an earlier model than the classic model Larionov and Gretz wore. 1978 Salming wore the new model. In pics from 1973 and 74 he is wearing a even older model as in your pic, hard to tell, could be the same. Difficult angle in your pic. But if I am allowed to guess I think the photo is from 1974-75. 76 in Canada Cup he wears the newer model I just noticed. He is more matured in face 1976 than in your photo.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
...which years he wore his JOFA helmet with the Leafs?

I'm trying to identify the date of a photo of him that I have in my possession.

Thanks in advance.

s-l1600.jpg

I think this photo's from his rookie year.

He only wore that version of the Leafs home shirt in his first two seasons. They got rid of the string on the neck in his 3rd year. I think most of the pics I looked at from 1974-75 he seemed to have black string and wore a short turtle neck, but don't quote me on that. Your pic he's wearing light blue string, and a t-shirt under his jersey.
5ug41874t40iy5eg7yssdp9wc.gif

Toronto Maple Leafs Light Uniform - National Hockey League (NHL) - Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

The interesting thing about your pic is his Yellow Koho. I can't find any other photos of him with that version of a Koho, except for his 1974-75 Action Stamp. In all likelihood, the photo for that stamp would have been taken from the previous season.
51tsBeROm-L.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/Salming-1974-75-NHL-Action-Stamps/dp/B07BD475XF

Also, judging by this footage, it looks like the Leafs changed the colours of the dashers on the boards from Light Blue to Yellow in 74-75.

I believe this was Maple Leaf Gardens in 1973-74, and that this photo was taken during Bruins vs Leafs playoffs.
1974 NHL Quarter-Finals: BOS vs. TOR | Hockey-Reference.com
51020e666496044d520d99f01ade505c--bobby-orr-goalie-mask.jpg

Plus this to back up my dasherboard theory:
scan0106.jpg

Of course the stick, strings, and t-shirt could have changed at any given point, one way or another, or back again... so I'm basically just speculating. But all this leaves us with 1973-74. Leafs played 80 games, 40 at Home, including the playoffs. Borje played in all of them. There's 40 possible dates that photo was taken. That's as close as I can get in an hour's work, without more clues.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Also, judging by this footage, it looks like the Leafs changed the colours of the dashers on the boards from Light Blue to Yellow in 74-75.

Bingo, that is the year the dashers got changed as you describe. Any photo with the baby blue dashers is prior to that season.

Reactions: Tweed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->