RDS Player drop two points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
i rode that too! such a great thing for the NHL...no more teams with astonishing deficits, they'll now be able to invest the money they kept in marketing to promote this sport like the NFL did!

FangFingers

Apr 6, 2005
Have no idea what that article says, but i hope youre right.

Finally, an end to the fingerpointing and namecalling, and some real honest negotiation. :clap:

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Comrie_fan said:
Maybee the return of the true market like Quebec and Winnipeg ....

We can believe .... :clap:

If I see this point made seriously (this may be sarcastic, and if it is, my apologies) one more time, I"m gonna scream.

Yes, let's take a league that's going to struggle when it returns, and move two teams back to cities that, during the best of times, struggled with attendence and corperate sponsorships, not to mention are small enough media markets that the already shoddy television money (plus in the Canadian exchange rate) would come into affect.

Yes, let's bring back the Norqidues. Let's pluck the highly successful Colorado Avs franchise up and move them back to the Great White North because they've learned their lesson now and "deserve" this team more than those people in Denver.

Yes, let's move Phoenix back to Winnipeg, out of one of the top-10 media markets in the U.S. Let's take a team that, when they were successful, were one of the top draws in the city and just built a new, heavily taxpayer funded (I believe) arena. Because that's a way to keep the new fans from that city.

Yes, let's leave those two teams where they are but expand again. Because uncontrolled U.S. expansion is what got us in this mess in the first place, but it doesn't matter if Canadians get more teams. They know what they're doing with hockey.

*grumbles* I'll be back in a couple of hours from class, so I'm not running from responses. But *gah* this whole "Let's go back to Canada!" movement drives me nuts, almost as much as those people who think the North Stars were somehow "stolen" from a Minnesota that wouldn't even get close to filling up their arena after the team made a finals run in 1991.

Lanny MacDonald*

Wednesday April 06, the 2005 - (RDS) - Association of the players of the national League would have accepted, Monday, not only the idea of a wage ceiling, but also of a bond between the incomes and the wages, a first since the beginning of the conflict. The vice-president of the national League, Bill Daly, indicated that the AJLNH proposed a hybrid form of the principle. Thus incomplete according to him. Discussions would take place with Detroit tomorrow, in parallel with the meeting of the general managers to which players were invited.

Or something along those lines.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The article loosely translated...

The players would have yielded on two major points Wednesday April 06, 2005 - (RDS) -The NHLPA would have accepted, Monday, not only the idea of a salary cap, but also a link between revenues and salaries, a first since the beginning of the conflict. The vice-president of the NHL, Bill Daly, indicated that NHLPA proposed a hybrid form of the principle. Thus incomplete according to him. Discussions would take place with Detroit tomorrow (today), in parallel with the meeting of the general managers to which players were invited.

Edit: Babelfish is great isn't it? :) I did add a few corrections where I deemed appropriate.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Wednesday April 06, the 2005 - (RDS) - Association of the players of the national League would have accepted, Monday, not only the idea of a wage ceiling, but also of a bond between the incomes and the wages, a first since the beginning of the conflict. The vice-president of the national League, Bill Daly, indicated that the AJLNH proposed a hybrid form of the principle. Thus incomplete according to him. Discussions would take place with Detroit tomorrow, in parallel with the meeting of the general managers to which players were invited.

Or something along those lines.

Thanks for the translation. :clap:

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Kritter471 said:
If I see this point made seriously (this may be sarcastic, and if it is, my apologies) one more time, I"m gonna scream.

Yes, let's take a league that's going to struggle when it returns, and move two teams back to cities that, during the best of times, struggled with attendence and corperate sponsorships, not to mention are small enough media markets that the already shoddy television money (plus in the Canadian exchange rate) would come into affect.

Yes, let's bring back the Norqidues. Let's pluck the highly successful Colorado Avs franchise up and move them back to the Great White North because they've learned their lesson now and "deserve" this team more than those people in Denver.

Yes, let's move Phoenix back to Winnipeg, out of one of the top-10 media markets in the U.S. Let's take a team that, when they were successful, were one of the top draws in the city and just built a new, heavily taxpayer funded (I believe) arena. Because that's a way to keep the new fans from that city.

Yes, let's leave those two teams where they are but expand again. Because uncontrolled U.S. expansion is what got us in this mess in the first place, but it doesn't matter if Canadians get more teams. They know what they're doing with hockey.

*grumbles* I'll be back in a couple of hours from class, so I'm not running from responses. But *gah* this whole "Let's go back to Canada!" movement drives me nuts, almost as much as those people who think the North Stars were somehow "stolen" from a Minnesota that wouldn't even get close to filling up their arena after the team made a finals run in 1991.

Not 100% sure about Winnipeg, but the reason Quebec moved was beacue the arena they played in was too small and didn't have luxury suites. Well, Quebec is making a push for the 2010 Olympics and part of that plan includes a 150 million dollar new arena. Quebec would have an NHL capability rink. Remember the Nordiques sold out pretty much every game but due to a small arena, revenues weren't enough. No luxury boxes also meant no corporate sponsorship. The new planned stadium has a bigger capacity and luxury lounges. Aubut and the mayor of Quebec City are trying to bring Quebec City back to glory as one of the entertainment capitals of the world and part of that plan includes trying to get an NHL franchise back in Quebec City around the 2010 Olympics.

Your point about the Canadian dollar isn't really true. The CDN is at its highest point in years, so in fact it would be easier to support a team now with the exchange rate.

I'm not saying hockey will definitely return to Quebec, but just to show you it isn't as far fetched as you made it sound.

Last edited:

Munchausen

Allow me to remain sceptical about anything written by RDS. They might be TSN's french equivalent, but their journalists are far more incompetent.

Players have given up on the cap issue when they made their 52M proposal, nothing new there.

But I'm mildly curious about this hybrid linkage concept. If it is just rehashing of the infamous clause 7 in the PA's last cap proposal (where the cap will only escalade up, in other words all rewards and no risk), it is nothing that might please the league I would imagine. I guess we'll know more on this by the end of the week.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
felixd said:
Not 100% sure about Winnipeg, but the reason Quebec moved was beacue the arena they played in was too small and didn't have luxury suites. Well, Quebec is making a push for the 2010 Olympics and part of that plan includes a 150 million dollar new arena. Quebec would an NHL capability rink. Aubut and the mayor of Quebec City are trying to bring Quebec City back to glory as one of the entertainment capitals of the world and part of that plan includes trying to get an NHL franchise back in Quebec City around the 2010 Olympics.

I'm not saying hockey will definitely return to Quebec, but just to show you it isn't as far fetched as you made it sound.

Isn't the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver?

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
ACC1224 said:
Isn't the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver?

Might be 2012 olympics sorry. I know they're pushing for Winter Games. Either way, plans involve a new arena.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
felixd said:
Might be 2012 olympics sorry. I know they're pushing for Winter Games. Either way, plans involve a new arena.

The Winter Olympics is in Vancouver. They won't come back to Canada for quite a while after that.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Munchausen said:
Allow me to remain sceptical about anything written by RDS. They might be TSN's french equivalent, but their journalists are far more incompetent.

I understand being skeptical of a specific story but you're implying that RDS is not credible. On what specifically are you basing that? Without specifics it's just personal bias.

Munchausen

Chili said:
I understand being skeptical of a specific story but you're implying that RDS is not credible. On what specifically are you basing that? Without specifics it's just personal bias.

They are not credible (to me, I concede) because they have a tendency to play with wording and insidiously blend facts and opinions to create news where there isn't (either that, or they keep their news in a fog of ambiguity due to their obvious incompetence).

I've read enough of RDS' garbage in the past to now take anything they say with a huge grain of salt. Their journalists are anything but professional (a network that keeps Alain Chanteloi employed for more than a year cannot be taken seriously).

And yes, obviously, this is only my opinion.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
ACC1224 said:
The Winter Olympics is in Vancouver. They won't come back to Canada for quite a while after that.

Sorry I can't find you an article. Le Journal de Montréal doesn't keep all their articles online. But the article was an interview with Aubut and he was explaining that there were plans for a new arena in Quebec City.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Munchausen said:
They are not credible (to me, I concede) because they have a tendency to play with wording and transparently blend facts and opinions to create news where there isn't (either that, or they keep their news in a fog of ambiguity due to their obvious incompetence).

I've read enough of RDS' garbage in the past to now take anything they say with a huge grain of salt. Their journalists are anything but professional (a network that keeps Alain Chanteloi employed for more than a year cannot be taken seriously).

That type of implication could be made about any news network. Having conversed with a few of their journalists in the past, I know they seek the same types of sources for their stories (i.e. within the game). So I disagree that their reporting contains any more inaccuracies than anyone else, from what I have read.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
This seems to mesh with what Jeremy Jacobs was talking about.

The salaries would be linked to revenues with the missing piece being that the players don't pay into escrow for revenue shortfalls.

Jacobs said that the various salary ranges (floor and ceiling) suggested by the players were dollar amounts based on the projected gross revenues of the NHL.

When he first heard the proposals from the players, Jacobs thought it sounded like linkage.

''I said to Gary (Bettman), 'Well, that's linkage,' '' Jacobs told the Boston Globe. ''But the truth is it was not, because in a true linkage system, the players' side would have to establish an escrow system, and that would mean giving money back if gross revenues dropped. They're not interested in that.''

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=120625&hubName=nhl

JF

Résidences Soleil?
Apr 7, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Munchausen said:
They are not credible (to me, I concede) because they have a tendency to play with wording and insidiously blend facts and opinions to create news where there isn't (either that, or they keep their news in a fog of ambiguity due to their obvious incompetence).

I tend to agree with you. The fact that RDS would be the first to have this "scoop" is somewhat doubtful in my opinion. From the beginning of the lock-out, let's just say that their coverage was pretty average to me. RDS doesn't have a Bob McKenzie, a Brian Burke to get this kind of inside informations. Maybe I'm underrating RDS, but like Munchausen, I would take this article with a grain of salt, but I'm sure wishing it to be true...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Kritter471 said:

Did they not get rid of a Colorado franchise only to bring it back and be highly sucessful?

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
And the Canadian TV contracts bring in more revenue than the American ones now I think. So having a team in Quebec City and Winnipeg would only make those amounts go up.

felixd said:

That would make it the 2014 games, which woud be highly unlikely since BC is already hosting the 2010 games. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see a team in Quebec city again, and i believe it *will* happen, but not for the foreseeable future I'm afraid. Ditto Winnipeg.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
If Quebec gets the rink, they become a contender, but isnt it well known that the top two contenders for franchises are Houston and Kansas City, with Portland in a now distant third?

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
If Quebec gets the rink, they become a contender, but isnt it well known that the top two contenders for franchises are Houston and Kansas City, with Portland in a now distant third?

I'm not arguing you're wrong, but how is it well known?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad