RD Ville Ottavainen (2021, 99th, SEA)

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
He did have an assist but he has looked out of place defensively in not only that the 1st ex game but also playing in the blue / white scrimmage games. You can see the talent on offensive but he is clearly the weakest player defensively on the Rangers. Hoping this will just be a short adjustment period.

Mar 12, 2009
He did have an assist but he has looked out of place defensively in not only that the 1st ex game but also playing in the blue / white scrimmage games. You can see the talent on offensive but he is clearly the weakest player defensively on the Rangers. Hoping this will just be a short adjustment period.
He's young and has been in NA for a few weeks, I expect the transition to NA ice will take some time but there are some intriguing tools there.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
He's young and has been in NA for a few weeks, I expect the transition to NA ice will take some time but there are some intriguing tools there.

His tools offensive are there. That’s pretty much impossible to teach at this age so that’s great. Defensive play is something that can be taught. So he Weakness is in the part of the game that can be fixed.

I have no doubt he will catch on but I think it’s going to be 3 or 4 months of “omg, why did he do that” or “why was he there at that point in play”.

But right now on the Rangers he is the guy I’d put last out there on D when we have a 2-1 lead with 5 minutes left in the game.

Mar 12, 2009
His tools offensive are there. That’s pretty much impossible to teach at this age so that’s great. Defensive play is something that can be taught. So he Weakness is in the part of the game that can be fixed.

I have no doubt he will catch on but I think it’s going to be 3 or 4 months of “omg, why did he do that” or “why was he there at that point in play”.

But right now on the Rangers he is the guy I’d put last out there on D when we have a 2-1 lead with 5 minutes left in the game.
Ya, I'm thinking we'll have a better picture of what we have with him in the new year. Some european players take some time to transition defensively because the ice size means defending different angles than their used to (especially off the rush). Some catch on faster than others, here's hoping.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
A goal and 3 assists for Ottavainen in today's win for Kitchener v Sudbury. All of his points came 5v5. Pretty decent for a player Finn Prospects don't even have in their top 15.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He was listed at 6'0 for the longest while so I thought that was his height. Now the OHL site has him listed at 6'4, quite a big difference.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
His Liiga contract has a CHL out clause though and his agent has informed Kitchener that his preference is to return there assuming the COVID-19 scare doesn't kill those plans. Liiga appears to be his backup plan.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
His Liiga contract has a CHL out clause though and his agent has informed Kitchener that his preference is to return there assuming the COVID-19 scare doesn't kill those plans. Liiga appears to be his backup plan.

What's the point of his Liiga contract, I thought that would make playing in Finland the primary destination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad