RD Ty Gallagher - USNTDP, USHL (2021, 217th, BOS)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He was one of the players I was intrigued by in my earlier U17 viewings against the USHL because he showed flashes, but it was early in the season so the team was a bit disjointed, as were a lot of the players. He's been on a tear in recent games and he's looked like a standout in this tournament so far. Limited views, but I get a bit of a John Carlson vibe from him.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He reminds me of Ryan Pulock and I think that’s a realistic outcome.

Elite one-timer. Pretty good playmaker, as well and he’s a capable defender. Skating might be a little better than Pulock’s was as a prospect, although Pulock improved a lot in this area.

I would tab him as a 15-45 range player for now. That could change.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know his stats aren't very good, but I'm of the belief that he's very misused by this new coach. I think the season he's having is going to effect his draft stock, but I still like his potential. I wanted to get that on the record. I think once he gets to Notre Dame he'll have a lot of success.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Powerplay goals in back-to-back games, he can really shoot the puck.

Is it possible we see four defensemen from the USNTDP get drafted in the 1st round this year? Hughes is a lock for a top-10 pick, Behrens is a safe bet to go in the top-25, and Gallagher and Hreschuk could go toward the end of the 1st.

I'd say they also have six forwards with 1st round potential: Lucius, Duke, Pastujov, Janicke, Boucher, and Savage.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Powerplay goals in back-to-back games, he can really shoot the puck.

Is it possible we see four defensemen from the USNTDP get drafted in the 1st round this year? Hughes is a lock for a top-10 pick, Behrens is a safe bet to go in the top-25, and Gallagher and Hreschuk could go toward the end of the 1st.

I'd say they also have six forwards with 1st round potential: Lucius, Duke, Pastujov, Janicke, Boucher, and Savage.

The coach finally lets him back on the PP when half the team is unavailable. How nice!

I’d be seriously peeved, if I was Gallagher. He’s basically been used for the majority of the season as a fourth pairing defensemen on an all right pairing who gets really low minutes, no PP, and very occasional PK. I don’t see him going first round anymore, but a good drafting team will take him second or third and get a steal.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Another power-play goal yesterday, up to 4 goals in his last 5 games and 7 points over that span. He's really heating up after a slow start.

I think the Ryan Pulock comparison is a good one.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's been our best player through two games. Hughes absence has given him a bigger role, and I'm not convinced there's a better 2021 draft eligible on this team than Gallagher. Aside from average skating, he's a real plus offensively, and I think his defense is no worse than average, likely better than that. He combines that with decent size. He's a good player, and I hope this tournament helps his draft stock after the coach hurt his draft stock with his usage this season.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I’m shocked how little Gallagher is discussed. Someone is going to be laughing if they land him in the 2nd round.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005

ndmd99

Apr 9, 2018
Personally I think Gallagher's switch was a result of Leivermann and Stastney returning for their senior years. Unless they get hurt, they'll be running the PP units. After getting misused this season, Gallagher probably wants a bigger role on the PP. And ND can't offer that until 22/23.

Think ND only took 1 D trasnfer (Adam Karashik). He's likely the replacement for Clurman (who surprisingly got an ELC).

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So many good Americans this year he’s not getting as much hype.

I think it has more to do with his usage this year. That NTDP team was so poorly coached. I think you’ll see at least a few who suffered due to the bad coaching improve their reputation as they move to higher levels with coaching that allows them to play to their strengths.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think it has more to do with his usage this year. That NTDP team was so poorly coached. I think you’ll see at least a few who suffered due to the bad coaching improve their reputation as they move to higher levels with coaching that allows them to play to their strengths.

I keep seeing Chaz Lucius is reportedly dropping on peoples lists and I can’t understand it. To me hes a top10-15 talent.

my isles don’t have a 1st but if he gets passed pick 25 I’m going to be screaming for them to make a move to grab him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Flabbergasted that he lasted this long. I knew he'd fall quite a bit because his role was drastically reduced from his U17 to U18 season when Dan Muse took over as coach for his U18 season. Coach Muse may be one of the worst coaches the program has ever had and Gallagher was grossly mis/under-used this season. That said, I figured a team would have taken him in rounds 3/4 given the considerable tools he displayed in his U17 season in a bigger role. I wonder if something else was in play (i.e. bad interviews, character concerns, etc.) that gave teams pause.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He reminds me of Ryan Pulock and I think that’s a realistic outcome.

Elite one-timer. Pretty good playmaker, as well and he’s a capable defender. Skating might be a little better than Pulock’s was as a prospect, although Pulock improved a lot in this area.

I would tab him as a 15-45 range player for now. That could change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad