RD Simon Edvinsson - Grand Rapids Griffins., AHL (2021, 6th, DET)

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Best NHL comparison ? Parayko ? I honestly don’t know Im asking those who are way more knowledgeable than myself.
He's go too high of an offensive upside to be parayko. I don't think he'll ever reach this level, I repeat he likely won't reach this level, but he is a very similar player to Hedman. Hedman was better at the same age but he's a rangy big man who plays with a bit of bite and has great offensive skills. His floor is likely Ristolainan.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Thomas Chabot or Ekblad type vibes from this guy.

He is top 3 in my draft card.

giphy-downsized.gif

Bro. Edvinsson hasn't displayed anywhere near the offensive capability of Chabot, or the physicality of Ekblad.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Bro. Edvinsson hasn't displayed anywhere near the offensive capability of Chabot, or the physicality of Ekblad.

He has that ridiculous cool and collective demeanor that both exude. Stylistically I see JayBo or Chabot with lesser offense. IMO he has more offensive ability than he shows. His offense is underrated because it's subtly effective and not flashy.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Obviously the thing that stands out to you his the size and skating ability. Uses his skating both offensively, in transition, and defensively, to close gaps quickly. I’d be surprised if he ever scored over 45-50 points but at his peak I think he can be a teams top minute munching blue liner who takes all the tough minutes.

I'd be surprised if this kid ever tops 30 points. The skating is good. stickhandling is good. Defensive instincts are good. But his decision making with the puck give me serious worries. He passes to the other team quite a bit in the viewings I've seen of him at Frolunda and the WJC18. I really don't think he's going to be much more than a 2nd pair defensive D man with maybe a peak season or two as a poor man's top pair guy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He has that ridiculous cool and collective demeanor that both exude. Stylistically I see JayBo or Chabot with lesser offense. IMO he has more offensive ability than he shows. His offense is underrated because it's subtly effective and not flashy.

You're definitely watching a different prospect than the guy I've seen. Edvinsson has a lot of panic with the puck. Anything but calm and cool.

And JayBo or Chabot with lesser offense is Brett Hedican.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Thomas Chabot or Ekblad type vibes from this guy.

He is top 3 in my draft card.
Better defensively than Chabot and plays with more snarl.

Infinitely better skater than Ekblad, especially at the same age.

IMO I think in the long run it'll be between him and Clarke for best dman in the draft, I'm pretty high on Edvinsson I'm hoping he goes to Detroit to be paired with Seider.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

IMO I think in the long run it'll be between him and Clarke for best dman in the draft, I'm pretty high on Edvinsson I'm hoping he goes to Detroit to be paired with Seider.

I agree. I see him as a cross between those two. I love the way Edvinsson plays. Detroit would do very well to pick him up with Seider. Would by dynamic pairing.

I think you selling Hughes a bit short. He could def be the best two. It's between those 3 for me.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
You're definitely watching a different prospect than the guy I've seen. Edvinsson has a lot of panic with the puck. Anything but calm and cool.

And JayBo or Chabot with lesser offense is Brett Hedican.

Couldn't disagree more. You could perhaps accuse him of looking nonchalant at times but that's the opposite of panicking.

I honestly don't see a thing in Edvinssons game that can't be fixed. All prospects have holes. I project Edvinsson as a minute eater in the NHL, much like Hedman is. He will be on the PP and log big minutes at even strength. Numbers is just a byproduct.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Yeah dawg, I'm really not sure you've ever watched him. Or Ekblad for that matter. He was a top 10 defenseman this season, and most other seasons is a top 20-30 guy in his career.

Edvinsson is a very smooth skater. Better than Ekblad in that regard for sure. But there isn't much snarl to his game. His defense is mostly poke checks and angling his man to the boards rather than erasing them with a big hit like Ekblad. Ekblad was the #1 overall pick in his draft. Is very good defensively and above average offensively. Has a great shot, is a very good passer. Can play pretty mean when he wants.

Like I said before, for his age Edvinsson is above average defensively but he doesn't play mean defense. His passing is below average and his offensive play leaves me wanting more. He doesn't have the elite hand-eye coordination of some guys to hold the puck at the line on clearing attempts, and his shot choices and ability to see lanes to the net are not that great.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah dawg, I'm really not sure you've ever watched him. Or Ekblad for that matter. He was a top 10 defenseman this season, and most other seasons is a top 20-30 guy in his career.

Edvinsson is a very smooth skater. Better than Ekblad in that regard for sure. But there isn't much snarl to his game. His defense is mostly poke checks and angling his man to the boards rather than erasing them with a big hit like Ekblad. Ekblad was the #1 overall pick in his draft. Is very good defensively and above average offensively. Has a great shot, is a very good passer. Can play pretty mean when he wants.

Like I said before, for his age Edvinsson is above average defensively but he doesn't play mean defense. His passing is below average and his offensive play leaves me wanting more. He doesn't have the elite hand-eye coordination of some guys to hold the puck at the line on clearing attempts, and his shot choices and ability to see lanes to the net are not that great.

I dunno, he threw his weight around quite a bit at the U18, and definitely was part of some extracurriculars after the whistle, cross checking guys in front of the net and such. It was something that especially stood out to me in the semifinals Canada game.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I dunno, he threw his weight around quite a bit at the U18, and definitely was part of some extracurriculars after the whistle, cross checking guys in front of the net and such. It was something that especially stood out to me in the semifinals Canada game.

That was pretty much the only game he did it. Edvinsson isn't one to get pushed around but he also isn't going to start the engagement much.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That was pretty much the only game he did it. Edvinsson isn't one to get pushed around but he also isn't going to start the engagement much.

With all due respect to Allsvenskan, isn’t an elimination game against Canada in his own age group kinda the first time he’s had the chance to show snarl?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
With all due respect to Allsvenskan, isn’t an elimination game against Canada in his own age group kinda the first time he’s had the chance to show snarl?

No. The SHL and Allsvenskan can get a little rough. Lots of pushing and shoving after the whistle in some games. Frolunda/Rogle and Skelleftea/Rogle games were pretty gritty affairs.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No. The SHL and Allsvenskan can get a little rough. Lots of pushing and shoving after the whistle in some games. Frolunda/Rogle and Skelleftea/Rogle games were pretty gritty affairs.

Okay, I’ll take your word. But it looks awfully soft when I watch Dahlen highlights. :laugh:

I just don’t think it’s a coincidence that the semifinals against Canada was the best and nastiest he looked all tournament.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Okay, I’ll take your word. But it looks awfully soft when I watch Dahlen highlights. :laugh:

I just don’t think it’s a coincidence that the semifinals against Canada was the best and nastiest he looked all tournament.

Team Canada is generally the toughest and nastiest opponent in any international tournament, so it's no surprise.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He seems like a tough prospect to project, I’ve seen him all over the place in various mock drafts.

I’m putting together my mock right now and I have him tentatively going #5 to Columbus. That sound about right?

Reactions: newfy

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He seems like a tough prospect to project, I’ve seen him all over the place in various mock drafts.

I’m putting together my mock right now and I have him tentatively going #5 to Columbus. That sound about right?

I don't think he's a legit #1 defenseman but I could see Edvinsson developing into a #2 or #3 defensive stalwart to compliment that offensive guy.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't think he's a legit #1 defenseman but I could see Edvinsson developing into a #2 or #3 defensive stalwart to compliment that offensive guy.

This is the season I will refuse to make any calls on any player :laugh:
If someone told me the best Dman goes at 5, and the best forward goes at 17; I'd be not completely shocked by this development.

This guy has some really nice tools. Whenever someone has the right tools, they can put it together. I think of Noah Hanifin who went 5th in 2015; drafted as an offensive guy, wasn't really great at a 18-21 years old; all of a sudden at 23/24 looks like a top pairing guy. The funniest thing, is he's more of a possession/defensive guy than the offensive stalwart he was drafted to be.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This is the season I will refuse to make any calls on any player :laugh:
If someone told me the best Dman goes at 5, and the best forward goes at 17; I'd be not completely shocked by this development.

This guy has some really nice tools. Whenever someone has the right tools, they can put it together. I think of Noah Hanifin who went 5th in 2015; drafted as an offensive guy, wasn't really great at a 18-21 years old; all of a sudden at 23/24 looks like a top pairing guy. The funniest thing, is he's more of a possession/defensive guy than the offensive stalwart he was drafted to be.

Hanifin is actually the guy he reminds me a bit of.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Man if he could learn to pass he would be infinitely better. He's way too casual in his passes. I don't know if it's nonchalant or panic, but he turns the puck over way too much. Fix that and he's got a great game worth investing in-- I just think it's hard to fix brainfarts. He just doesn't have the IQ or vision to complete a higher percentage of passes and not turn the puck over from the multiple footages I've seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad