RD Simon Edvinsson - Grand Rapids Griffins., AHL (2021, 6th, DET)

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Surprising to see with a kid being talked about as highly as he is and with skating and size combination that there is not more of a push for him to play Allsvenskan. Frölunda just signed another veteran to cover for Lennström leaving and Elliott leaving for a month for family reasons. Would be interesting to see him get more consistent minutes and not just a couple of minutes once they have a couple of injuries.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Unpopular opinion: Edvinsson isn’t as good as the hobby scout community seems to think and I wouldn’t pick him in the spot he’ll be available in.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
It’s great to have diversity of opinion but it helps to provide some reasoning behind said opinion.
Sure. Outside of the offensive zone his decision-making with the puck is terrible about 50% of the time. He has incredibly high potential, can play defence and highly dangerous in the offensive zone. But with the puck in the DZ and NZ I get serious Ristolainen vibes. I’m not saying he’s bad, I just wouldn’t draft him as high as I’ve seen him ranked.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So far, from what I've seen, I wouldn't take him in the top 10. He just doesn't seem to process the game well enough.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Defenceman Simon Edvinsson spent the season bouncing around Swedish leagues. Signed with Frolunda, he got in 10 regular-season games and 1 playoff game in the SHL, putting up one assist. Loaned to Vasteras in the Allsvenskan, he had more success, with five assists in 14 regular-season games and a goal and two assists for three points in six playoff games. Edvinsson also played 14 games for Frolunda’s junior team in the J20, putting up a goal and five assists for six points.

In 2019-20 Edvinsson put up six points in eight games in the J20. He also played 19 games in the J18, scoring four goals and 16 assists for 20 points in that time. He also put up two assists in his only playoff game before the COVID crisis forced the league to shut down. Edvinsson was also a star for Team Sweden at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, scoring five points in five tournament games.

2021 NHL Draft #8: Simon Edvinsson Scouting Report

Reactions: ShadowDuck

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Edvinsson is a hard player to evaluate. I don't ever feel like I see him dominating games, like you'd expect from a likely top 10 pick, but he makes so many plays in all facets of the game that look like his game will easily translate to the NHL. He's more of a clip-reel at this point than a really good player, especially compared to a lot of the guys ranked near him. I guess if I would try to make the argument against Edvinsson I would suggest his hockey sense might be a little limited if he's unable to really dominate games against players his age, yet has all these little flashes that look projectable to the NHL. Or maybe he's just going to need some extra time to develop his game, and he's more raw. I don't know if I have a strong take, but I find it hard to form an opinion on Edvinsson.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Edvinsson is a hard player to evaluate. I don't ever feel like I see him dominating games, like you'd expect from a likely top 10 pick, but he makes so many plays in all facets of the game that look like his game will easily translate to the NHL. He's more of a clip-reel at this point than a really good player, especially compared to a lot of the guys ranked near him. I guess if I would try to make the argument against Edvinsson I would suggest his hockey sense might be a little limited if he's unable to really dominate games against players his age, yet has all these little flashes that look projectable to the NHL. Or maybe he's just going to need some extra time to develop his game, and he's more raw. I don't know if I have a strong take, but I find it hard to form an opinion on Edvinsson.
When you have the puck on your stick more and try and do more, you're going to make more mistakes.
I get that.
But I just think Edvinsson doesn't handle pressure well and has an average to below average Hockey IQ.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
What would be the furthest he has the potential to “ drop “ to i the draft?I know it is virtually impossible to,say with any certainty but best educated guess? Any chance of dropping to the 15-20 range or no way a big mobile D like him drops that far ?

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
What would be the furthest he has the potential to “ drop “ to i the draft?I know it is virtually impossible to,say with any certainty but best educated guess? Any chance of dropping to the 15-20 range or no way a big mobile D like him drops that far ?

The furthest he drops is 6 or 7. Many team aren’t
going to pass up his player archetype

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Obviously the thing that stands out to you his the size and skating ability. Uses his skating both offensively, in transition, and defensively, to close gaps quickly. I’d be surprised if he ever scored over 45-50 points but at his peak I think he can be a teams top minute munching blue liner who takes all the tough minutes.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Obviously the thing that stands out to you his the size and skating ability. Uses his skating both offensively, in transition, and defensively, to close gaps quickly. I’d be surprised if he ever scored over 45-50 points but at his peak I think he can be a teams top minute munching blue liner who takes all the tough minutes.
Best NHL comparison ? Parayko ? I honestly don’t know Im asking those who are way more knowledgeable than myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad