RD Seth Jones (2013, 4th overall, Nashville) II

byeyimini

Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
Anyone with an opinion ? how does Seth Jones compare to Dougie Hamilton ? Similar players ? Totally different ? I know a year in the WHL will help to see how Jones compares. But curious what your thoughts are now. Would you take one over the other ?

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
Jones is much better IMO. I'm really high on him and think he'll be going first overall next year.

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
both are differnt players. jones is more defensive minded, while hamilton is offense minded. there both really good tho.

KingJet*

Same playing styles, just Hamilton is more Offensive, Jones is more Defensive

byeyimini

Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
Would you guys go so far as to project more point production in the NHL for Hamilton ? ...again, Jones hasn't even played a game in the WHL, so I'm just having fun here. This thread will be ancient history in a week. ;)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jones will be an elite #1, Hamilton will be a solid top pairing guy. No slight to Hamilton, Jones is just that good.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
It will be very interesting to see how Jones does in the WHL this year. They're hard to compare because they've never competed against each other and have both been great at every level they played (although Dougie was a bit of a late bloomer, wasn't a tremendous midget player and didn't show his offensive skill his first year in the OHL). Dougie is more offensive, Jones is more defensive. Slight edge for Jones from what I've heard.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think Dougie is getting underrated on here a bit...

I love Seth Jones a ton, but the kid hasnt stepped foot on CHL ice yet, and people are stating he is clearly better then a kid like Hamilton who tore up the CHL....

dont get that one at all...

I would wait until at least 30 games into the season to see what kind of impact Jones has on the league first imo...

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
We'll see how he looks in the W, but I don't expect he'll disappoint. Jones is a rare talent as a prospect.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I think Dougie is getting underrated on here a bit...

I love Seth Jones a ton, but the kid hasnt stepped foot on CHL ice yet, and people are stating he is clearly better then a kid like Hamilton who tore up the CHL....

dont get that one at all...

I would wait until at least 30 games into the season to see what kind of impact Jones has on the league first imo...

Agreed, it's really hard to state anyone is really that far ahead of Hamilton. He's huge, he's a phenomenal skater, tremendous offensive talent and a developing defensive and physical game. I understand Jones is considered a rare prospect but Hamilton is pretty rare too.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Agreed, it's really hard to state anyone is really that far ahead of Hamilton. He's huge, he's a phenomenal skater, tremendous offensive talent and a developing defensive and physical game. I understand Jones is considered a rare prospect but Hamilton is pretty rare too.

I don't think Hamilton is getting underrated at all.

It's just that the guy who he's being compared to in this thread, is THAT damn good.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

We are also talking about players that differ in age by 3 years, so that needs to be mentioned here.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Jones >>> Hamilton, at least thats how it going to be on HFBoards for some time.

Jones is better at the same age. Hamilton has done nothing but improve leaps and bounds since he was drafted. If you asked me who I could take today id take Hamilton as he is looking like he is NHL ready.

The draft is still a year away, a lot can happen in that time and who knows, Jones might slip like Grigorenko or Couts. Hard to say, anything can happen.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
We are also talking about players that differ in age by 3 years, so that needs to be mentioned here.

Agreed.

Right now, I'd take Hamilton. At least he's old enough to play in the show right now! :)

I'm still reserving forming a strong opinion on Jones until I've actually seen him play in the Dub. I suspect, based on all accounts, that he'll be fine, but he's still a year away from his draft, so plenty of time to be properly evaluated.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Agreed.

Right now, I'd take Hamilton. At least he's old enough to play in the show right now! :)

I'm still reserving forming a strong opinion on Jones until I've actually seen him play in the Dub. I suspect, based on all accounts, that he'll be fine, but he's still a year away from his draft, so plenty of time to be properly evaluated.

Have you never watched him during any U-18 events or anything? It's tough when a prospect isn't in the CHL for us people up in Canada, but I've still managed to see him play 5-10 times online.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I think Dougie Hamilton will be a star for a number of years.

But, from what I've heard Seth Jones could be the number one pick.

Right now I'm taking Dougie Hamilton, but if Jones proves in his WHL season that hes the number one pick and an elite prospect, I'd have to take Jones. Dougie will be a star, but Jones could be more than that.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
I'm really high on Jones. I think he's going number 1, and will be a strong force in the league for a while. I'll take Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad