RD Sergey Zborovskiy - Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg, KHL (2015, 79th, NYR; released)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
7 point night tonight. I was surprised he didn't have a thread. 5 goals and 18 assists in 21 games. He's also not an offensive player, either, so the offense is just a bonus. He leads the WHL in +/- by 5, second place is his defensive partner for Regina, third place is 13 behind in +/-. He leads all of the CHL in +/-. His coach called him the best pure defensive player in the WHL a few days ago.

Zborovskiy was the best defensive player at the Rangers prospect Camp in September in a camp that included some much older defenseman. He's very good without the puck and he's a tower. For someone who's 6'4 and 200 pounds, he's not a bad passer or skater either.

Any WHL watchers have anything to add?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=277798

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
His game by game point breakdown looks made up :laugh:

1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 7

He forgot how to use binary :sarcasm:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Had this kid on my radar during his draft year, i didnt get to see too many of his games but he had VERY good advanced stats.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Added 3 assists today.

I watched some of this game, and was very impressed.

He looks much more of a two way defenseman in the WHL. In the CHL/Russia series, he looked like only a defensive defenseman. The reason could be the difference in competition.

Last edited:

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Another multipoint game for Big Z. A big shutdown D tied for 4th among WHL D-Men in points and a +42. Looking good.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yesterday, I'm pretty sure he had a between the legs assist. It could've just been a lucky assist that found his teammate, but I thought he meant it.

He's skilled at the WHL level for a 6'4 200 player. I don't expect him to be Shea Weber, but he's a pretty good skater, and he's shown some offensive skill. Unless his WHL play is a complete fluke, he could have like 30 point offense, and he's a very good defensive player.

We struggle at RHD. It might be optimistic, but it would really help us out if he had a Brandon Carlo type impact on the big club next season.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
+42?? This real life? Usually don't put too much stock into it but that's nuts.

You of all people... Provorov was +62 last season on the Wheat Kings. It happens. Being in some blowout wins helps and there will be minus games going forward too.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
would love to hear Rimer try and and announce a game with him and Bob both on the ice....he get's easily confused with names that sound totally different

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
+51 now through 28 games. He's been a - three games this season, not a single game worse than -1.

I've watched some games and he's a good player, I think one of the best defenseman in the CHL, but I just don't know how to judge being this historically good around halfway through the season with +/-. Usually most people don't think it matters, but when you are on pace to shatter the record, does it prove you are so much better than your competition?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad