RD Scott Morrow - UMass, NCAA (2021, 40th, CAR)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
zbjabg9krhgg90c6.jpg

Name: Scott Morrow
Position: Defenseman
Shoots: Right
Height: 6 foot 2 (188 cm)
Weight: 192 lbs (87 kg)
DOB: 11/11/2002
POB: Dariem, CT
Draft eligible: 2021

This is Scott's 4th year in the Shattuck
- Bantam | 11+24=35 (0.66 ppg)
- Midget | 12+23=35 (0.66 ppg)
- USHL-Prep | 15+39=54 (1.02 ppg)
- USHL-Prep | 8+26=34 (1.62 ppg)

In his last 5 games, Scott has scored 3 goals and 7 assists, 10 points (2.00 pg)
I have followed his (this) season alongside Fleming (his team mate)
and i think he is a keeper. - keep an eye of this players development

other info:
was drafted 21st overall (Foreurs) in the QMJHL american draft
was drafted 28th overall (Phantoms) in the USHL futures draft

Reactions: Acadien86

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
As of today: 15 goals, 38 assists, 53 points in 32 games this season so far. That's 1.66 ppg. Tremendous season.
Great skater, has size (6 foot 2 / 192 lbs), which he knows how to use and obviously very skilled, two-way d-man.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This kid is going to the Penticton Vees next season and will get some serious exposure during their National Championship season.

He'd be better off playing next season in college hockey, if he wants to help his draft stock.

I can understand why it's a tough position because he's not NTDP eligible past this season, he wants to keep his NCAA eligibility, and the other options aren't all too good, whether it's Prep, USHL or BCHL. But I don't see why he couldn't decide to attend North Dakota a season earlier than projected. He's a late 2002. Most of the best America players in his age group will be playing college hockey next season.

Reactions: beaverjc

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
He'd be better off playing next season in college hockey, if he wants to help his draft stock.

I can understand why it's a tough position because he's not NTDP eligible past this season, he wants to keep his NCAA eligibility, and the other options aren't all too good, whether it's Prep, USHL or BCHL. But I don't see why he couldn't decide to attend North Dakota a season earlier than projected. He's a late 2002. Most of the best America players in his age group will be playing college hockey next season.

Brendan Brisson was playing with Shattuck St. Marys last season as a late 2001, had 101 points, and still decided to play with Chicago of the USHL instead of going to the University of Michigan. He is still viewed by many as a first rounder this june.

Reactions: tealhockey

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brendan Brisson was playing with Shattuck St. Marys last season as a late 2001, had 101 points, and still decided to play with Chicago of the USHL instead of going to the University of Michigan. He is still viewed by many as a first rounder this june.

I think USHL makes more sense than BCHL, but I don't see why Brisson couldn't have played this season in college hockey. Maybe he didn't want to and he's done well enough to make himself into a first rounder, but I think for a prospect in that type of situation where they aren't NTDP eligible and they want to keep NCAA eligibility, the best option to up their draft stock is to go ahead and play in the NCAA during their draft season.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
I think USHL makes more sense than BCHL, but I don't see why Brisson couldn't have played this season in college hockey. Maybe he didn't want to and he's done well enough to make himself into a first rounder, but I think for a prospect in that type of situation where they aren't NTDP eligible and they want to keep NCAA eligibility, the best option to up their draft stock is to go ahead and play in the NCAA during their draft season.
Because he is only in 11th grade. He'd have to accelerate high school and graduate a year early which is difficult to do. He still has one more year of high school to finish.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
NoDak also have one of the deeper d-corps in college hockey with mostly returners. Not to mention they bring in a few strong recruits who would take up any ice time ahead of him, like USHL-seasoned Mitch Miller and the two guys on NTDP. There's also Cooper Moore in the BCHL ahead of him. I think Morrow took Luke Reid's spot which was pushed to 2021 and likely caused him to decommit. USHL really won't do him any harm for a year. Jumping from 18U to big time college hockey is extremely challenging, LaCombe did it last year from the same team to Minnesota and he has had his growing pains but on a team where he got to play a lot and adjust

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Now at 22 goals and almost 70 points (68) so far this season. in 44 games (1.58 ppg)
Pretty sweet numbers for a 2021 born d-man playing for a strong development program.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Reading Wheeler's ranking, he has Morrow as a first round pick, but he doesn't seem to be getting much talk. Can someone tell me more about him?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Reading Wheeler's ranking, he has Morrow as a first round pick, but he doesn't seem to be getting much talk. Can someone tell me more about him?
Due to Covid he decided to stay at Shattuck where he was more comfortable and close to home, instead of Youngstown where he otherwise would have played.

He's basically the ideal prototypical defenseman for today's game. Perfect size, and a really great skater in all directions. Has a lot of intangible qualities too.

The only hesitation that surrounds him right now is around the league he plays in.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Morrow was asked by North Dakota to defer a year and has switched to play college hockey this fall at UMass. What a coup for the defending champs who also added Vegas 4th rounder Slava Demin to their incoming blueline as a transfer from Denver.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Good move for Morrow. He'll get a prime opportunity with UMass and deferring for UND would have been a mistake after playing prep hockey this year as an overager.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
Good move for Morrow. He'll get a prime opportunity with UMass and deferring for UND would have been a mistake after playing prep hockey this year as an overager.
Curious why you think playing in an older league would have been a mistake? Not sure if he was really tested at all these past two years? Always been concerns about his slow feet and speed - playing as an over-ager in prep this year did not allow for him to showcase that he can still do what he does at a higher pace. Going straight to college might also be a mistake? No doubt he has skill but not sure he has proven anything much to anyone yet. I can see him going in the draft but not sure he's worthy of 1st or 2nd round consideration. I would have really liked to see him play against stronger competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad