RD Ryan Sproul (2011, 55th overall, Detroit)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well the wings prospect camp just finished and Sproul got absolute rave reviews. He was making very crisp passes, has a cannon and was very poised out there.

He was second to only Brendan Smith on the blue line apparently and Smith is a great prospect who was in his 5th camp.

If he can develop into a big hitter he will be the full packae and hopefully a steal

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I guess I should add that Sproul being second best means that he was better than Almqvist who has played great in the SEL, Nick Jensen who tore up College, and Lashoff who has pro experience with Grand Rapids.

Looks pretty promising

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
More in depth scouting report...

Ryan Sproul: Kid who grew about 4" or 5" over the year, still skates like he is under 6 foot. Very mobile for a defensemen, has a heavy shot that seems to always find its way to the net. Makes nice crisp passes, but because of inexperience has a tendency to telegraph his outlet passes. Needs work on the defensive side of the game, and needs to utilize his size more. Can throw some big hits, and can on occasion step up in the neutral zone. Biggest problem he has in his own end, is getting caught up ice or not following the trailer on a rush. Can easily run a power play, and moves around alot on the powerplay, looking for back doors and give and go's. Potentially I see him as a Mike Green type of player, very high end offensive game, but always leaves something to be desired when defending. I think he may get off to a slow start this year in the Soo because of the expectations he has to live up to after scoring 12 goals in about 25 games and being drafted high, but he will easily eclipse his past season totals by the time the year is coming to an end.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Yep, IMO the Red Wings were smart in taking a shot on this kid; their forward prospect pool is amongst the best in the NHL and - no insults intended - their defensive prospects leave something to be desired after Smith and Almqvist...

He probably slides in as their next best D prospect after those 2; although they must have high hopes for Ouelette (sp?) since they drafted him earlier than Sproul...

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Yep, IMO the Red Wings were smart in taking a shot on this kid; their forward prospect pool is amongst the best in the NHL and - no insults intended - their defensive prospects leave something to be desired after Smith and Almqvist...

He probably slides in as their next best D prospect after those 2; although they must have high hopes for Ouelette (sp?) since they drafted him earlier than Sproul...

'Ouellet'-no worries.

I'd slot Sproul in after those two, maybe ahead of Almqvist. Detroit needed to take some D-men in this draft(and probably next year too) and they did. While most Detroit fans aren't that high on Ouellet, it's obvious that the team likes him.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Don't worry.. you'll be pleasantly surprised with that pick. Scott Harrington as all the potential in the world.

You got that right. Personally I'd definitely take Harrington over Sproul and can see why Pittsburgh would. The other poster must not have seen Harrington play with London as a 16 year old.

Oct 18, 2006
Ryan Sproul

He was drafted 55th overall by the Detroit Red Wings in last year’s draft. He’s a 6’4 blueliner with an impressive shot and offensive smarts. He enjoyed an impressive rookie OHL season as he really took off in the second half of the season with an expanded role, and he’s continuing where he left off this season.

In 23 games Sproul has 5 goals and 12 assists for 17 points and he boasts an impressive +17, tied for 2nd in the entire OHL. I was wondering whether anyone here has actually seen Sproul this season, and what you make of his play. He projects to be a 2nd pairing defenceman and a PP quarterback, but I’d like to hear thoughts from guys who have seen him play first hand. Is Sproul's +17 a sign of an improving defensive game, or mainly just from being able to produce points? Whatever the case, he's developing quite nicely, and with his size, skating and shot, he’s one of the more intriguing prospects in our system.

Dtownhockey

Aug 6, 2011
i saw him play once this season. He is a great skater. Was very calm on the blue line and takes a lot of shots. Cant really say too much only seeing him play one game.

Oct 18, 2006
2010/11: 61 games, 14G, 19A, 33 points.
2011/12: 54 games, 18G, 27A, 45 points.

Also leads his team in +/- at +14.

He's 6'4", has a cannon of a shot, and he's a good skater. He's really worked hard on the defensive aspect of his game this season, and the +/- is a nice indicator. He'll likely spend 1 more season in the OHL before heading to Grand Rapids.

He's got all the tools, just a matter of consistency, and if he can add more of a physical edge as well, look out. Great prospect.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Was one of my favorite prospects of the 2011 draft.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
One would have to think he'll be on team Canada next year. A pairing of Ouellet and Sproul would be awesome from a wings fan pov

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
One would have to think he'll be on team Canada next year. A pairing of Ouellet and Sproul would be awesome from a wings fan pov
Ouellet won't make the team, IMO.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
i was hoping the leafs drafted him last year ... probably going to be a very good 2nd pairing guy

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
He's great in the offensive zone, no doubt. He's got good hands, can pass well, and has a great shot.

He also has a lot to work on, IMO. The defensive game doesn't come natural to him; his defensive instincts/awareness need to be improved. You'd like him to be more physical, especially due to his size. He also turns the puck over more than you'd like, but that can be due to trying to create offence on a poor Soo team.

As for the WJC, it's still a long way away. There's up to three returnees on defence, and eight defencemen that got invited to the Dev. Camp, that could be back next year.

He's got a ton of potential, and is looking like a great pick.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
He's great in the offensive zone, no doubt. He's got good hands, can pass well, and has a great shot.

He also has a lot to work on, IMO. The defensive game doesn't come natural to him; his defensive instincts/awareness need to be improved. You'd like him to be more physical, especially due to his size. He also turns the puck over more than you'd like, but that can be due to trying to create offence on a poor Soo team.

As for the WJC, it's still a long way away. There's up to three returnees on defence, and eight defencemen that got invited to the Dev. Camp, that could be back next year.

He's got a ton of potential, and is looking like a great pick.

I've seen great strides from this year in the aforementioned areas of concern you mentioned.

The Greyhounds have given up 45 more goals than they have scored. And this is reflected in the fact that like 85% of the team is in the negative for their plus/minus. His +14 shines even brighter, when you take that into consideration. When Sproul is on the ice, the Hounds are a +14 team, and when he's not, they're a -59 team.

His defensive awareness has improved considerably. He looks more comfortable in the defensive end that he did last year and he's really learning to use his long reach and physical gifts to play forwards off the puck on the rush. He's also increased his physicality, although he's still not a punisher. But he's definitely using his size more aggressively this year, especially in the corners to win loose puck battles.

The one thing you didn't mention is his skating and puck rushing ability and the improvement in his ability to create offense off the rush. Last year, this was a work in progress. The majority of his offense was created from manning the point (especially on the powerplay) last year. This year, he actually only has 20 of his 45 points, and only 8 of his 18 goals on the powerplay. He's much more aggressive in bringing the puck up ice, and he's following through on the rushes and creating offense from them. He's certainly not afraid to go deep into the offensive zone. But he's not lazy either and with his great skating ability, he rarely gets caught up ice.

Quite frankly, if this kid wasn't playing up in the Soo, and wasn't on a team fighting to stay in the playoffs, he'd be generating WAY more buzz. Put him on the blueline of the London Knights this year and it's a different story.

I'm a tremendously huge fan of this kid and love the progression he's shown this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad