RD Ryan Sproul (2011, 55th overall, Detroit)

Mr Lahey*

I don't see how he can beat out the talent in the first round unless some teams draft for position and a bunch of the better D go first, but I hope he goes somewhere around the 40 pick range.

He really upped his game in the second half of this season, so scouts may not have a good enough read on him to take a flyer with that kind of pick.

Very interested to see where Cat and Cousins go, though.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I don't see how he can beat out the talent in the first round unless some teams draft for position and a bunch of the better D go first, but I hope he goes somewhere around the 40 pick range.

All it takes is one team that thinks he has a higher ceiling than the other prospects available.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I like him but think he looks like the trend-de-la-jour that rises right before the draft as he becomes a talked about pick. I watched the video - sure he can move his feet but he looks slow to me. Maybe that's unfair, I don't know...

Good shot but are hs numbers overinflating his value? Useful on the PP no doubt. Just something worries me but can't nail it...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ryan Sproul

A big kid at 6'4 who has done a tonne of growing over the last year (4 inches), didnt even start playing this season in the OHL. By the end of the year he had gone from non existant to a second round pick. He had 10 goals the second half of the season behind only Ryan Ellis.

Apparently he isnt a bruiser out there but can kind of use his size, should comre more once he gets used to it and fills out. Ive read alot of people saying he could be a steal.

What do those who have seen him play this year think about him? And is Brent Burns a fair style comparison with the booming shot, sizer and great mobility?

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Steal of the draft IMO, along with Kucherov.

He reminds me of Bryan McCabe for some reason.

Raptactics29

Mar 28, 2007
London, Ontario
Big fan. I was always left very impressed with his ability to make the right play almost every time. IMO, he could be one of the best defenseman to come out of this draft and it wouldn't surprise me if he turned in to a perennial all-star in the NHL.

Great pick by the Wings. We all know they'll develop him properly.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Get to see this kid play on a nightly basis in the Soo... unreal potential. Defensive game needs work, but hes big, skates great for a kid his size, his shot has eyes, and he is very calm with the puck. Might have a few rough patches this year working on his defensive game, but I would not be surprised to see 25 goals out of him in the OHL this year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Get to see this kid play on a nightly basis in the Soo... unreal potential. Defensive game needs work, but hes big, skates great for a kid his size, his shot has eyes, and he is very calm with the puck. Might have a few rough patches this year working on his defensive game, but I would not be surprised to see 25 goals out of him in the OHL this year.

By the end of the year was he playing like this? or was it all year? More in depth scouting report would be great if you have the time !

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
He's definitely had a very impressive second half, there's no doubting that.

But I worry that expectations are getting too high for him. He's a long term prospect, but the best of luck to him, he's a great guy.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I was very disappointed the Pens picked Scott "what's the upside?" Harrington right before Sproul, whom they could have taken instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->