RD Ryan Sproul (2011, 55th overall, Detroit)

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
Another player on the hounds worth mentioning is Nick Cousins. In hi rookie season he put up decent numbers and I think he might of even ended with a few more points than Catenacci. This year he finished with 68 points in 68 games on a very weak Soo team where him and catenacci are the only real offensive threats. I like his game, he's fast and smart in the offensive zone.
Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Draft him Burke.

Where do you think he'll go Brock?

I think it all depends on whether he gets on the Under 18 team.

If he manages to make that squad and has a positive impact on the team offensively, I think it'd do amazing things for his draft status.

I could honestly see him going anywhere from the early 2nd to the late third. Just can't see him making it past there considering the raw qualities he possesses.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
how does he compare to Spencer Abraham?

Both have done a lot of their damage on the powerplay and Abraham is an interesting kid. But the main difference is size.

Abraham is an average sized defender who has had some struggles playing five on five this year (like Sproul, his rookie season in the OHL). He's also not as good of a skater. But he's definitely a very intelligent powerplay quarterback. Very good vision and has a lot of poise back there.

But his lack of elite size, skating, and defensive play make him more of a longshot moving forward. They also limit his potential.

If you compare him to a guy like Geoffrey Schemitsch last year, Schemitsch was and is better defensively and saw time on the penalty kill for Owen Sound. He has similar flaws and strengths in the other areas, but even he went in the 4th round. I think Abraham has a shot of getting drafted because he's clearly a very intelligent hockey player, but he's more the type of player you take in the later rounds.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly

If he manages to make that squad and has a positive impact on the team offensively, I think it'd do amazing things for his draft status.

I could honestly see him going anywhere from the early 2nd to the late third. Just can't see him making it past there considering the raw qualities he possesses.

Almost answered my inquiry here, Brock.

I had him early third in my recently compiled rankings.
http://thehockeywriters.com/2011-nhldraft-rankings-top-100-marchmadness/

I take it you think that's reasonable at this point depending on possible WJC U18 appearance.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Almost answered my inquiry here, Brock.

I had him early third in my recently compiled rankings.
http://thehockeywriters.com/2011-nhldraft-rankings-top-100-marchmadness/

I take it you think that's reasonable at this point depending on possible WJC U18 appearance.

Yeah, that's definitely reasonable at this point.

The Under 18's can really do wonders for kids like Sproul. Someone who's been improving as the year has gone on, but has played for one of the worst teams in his league so not a lot of people are noticing.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

Burke should definitely take him with our second. He would be a nice addition to our defensive depth it seems like.

Sabres9

Mar 8, 2011
I remember seeing a recent mock draft with him as 31st overall, I was like, Sproul?! Who's Sproul?????? Thanks for the article, now I know who this kid is haha

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA

With Ryan Murphy being available to the team now, I think it's looking less likely that Sproul gets a spot on the team. Now Team Canada has Murphy and Myles Bell to run the powerplay, which is Sproul's bread and butter at this point in his development.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Thanks for the video. Kid is big and a good skater. Looks raw as hell, but looks very intriguing. I could see why some teams might have him rated very high.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Found the video on the internet, probably a local fan made it.. but yes, he is very raw.. but he has a great shot, good stride, and good size... defensive play will come with time

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Where's the Ryan Sproul thread?

Did a search for Ryan Sproul and didn't see anything come up. If there hasn't been a thread dedicated to Sproul, that's a horrible crime. If there is, I eat crow and this can be moved into it.

Didn't sign with the Soo until a week into the season. Struggled out of the gate but put up 33 points in his last 44 games of the season. Had 10 goals from January 1 onward, second only to Ryan Ellis' 12. Ryan Murphy had 9.

Sproul shot up four inches last year and sits at six-foot-four. We have the kid at 64 but he is definitely someone to keep an eye out for.

Brian Huddle recently did a feature for us on him.

“It’s overwhelming and it’s exciting,†Sproul explained. “For me, it’s kind of shocking from where I was last year, to be in this position now. I feel like everything that’s come to me, I’ve worked real hard for it.â€

http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/sprouls-climb-an-exciting-journey/

R S

Sep 18, 2006
My favorite sleeper of the draft. Wouldn't be shocked if a team took him in the 20's of round 1.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Wouldnt mind taking him at 25.

Sproul, Klefbom, Mayfield, and Percy will all be good NHL players IMO

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
according to several mock drafts, he won't be a 1st rounder, of course we don't know for sure....i'm not even sure the Oilers would take him or someone like Scott Mayfield if he were stil available at #31. my team has played it VERY close to the chest on where they might be leaning in this draft.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
If guys like Musil, Mayfield, Brodin, Morrow and Murphy are gone at 31, i'd want Sproul over Percy. It's close though.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
i am stoked about who we could snag at #31 ! that's why i have always believed that picking high in the 2nd round can still get you a valuable prospect with potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad