RD Reilly Walsh (2017, 81st, NJD; traded to BOS)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Wanted to get a thread going on this kid as I don't know too much about him and would hope some people could enlighten me a little bit about who he is as a player and what he projects as going forward.

Just looking at his numbers from last season they all look very good so I'm surprised I haven't heard more about him. The only scouting reports I was able to find was from last summer:
sbncollegehockey said:
A smaller defenseman, he's a phenomenal skater. His stride is so smooth and he glides well with good lateral movement. He needs to get better in his own zone and put on some bulk, but his skating, vision and puck skills are all elite. He visited Harvard for the Crimson's second half game against Union and recently committed to Teddy Donato's program. His father Mike, his prep coach, played college hockey at Colgate. Walsh is a player who has a ton of upside. With a little improvement in his defensive play and adding some size to his frame, he could be an elite defenseman.

sbncollegehockey said:
The knock on Walsh has always been his defensive zone play. The strength of his game will always be his skating and puck skills, but he's not bad defensively. His smooth footwork, lateral mobility and overall athleticism help him recover when he makes a bad first step defensively and gets caught. He has a terrific one-timer from the point with his footwork and strength. His father is his prep coach and he'll play there for two more seasons before one year in the USHL and on to Harvard.

6'0 RHD's with elite skating always intruiges me. What can you guys tell me about him? Could he be a 1st rounder in the coming draft? If not, why?

Looking forward to watching him in the Hlinka Memorial next week.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Bump. 6 points in 13 games in the USHL so far. Anyone seen him play?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Bumping this again...finished with 30 goals and 69 points in 30 games for Proctor Academy. Had 10 points in 24 games in the USHL as well.

I'm wondering, how does he compare to Brandon Montour? Any similiarities? Seems like they have very similar strengths and weaknesses.

Anyone seem him play and could give a good scouting report?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I just watched a little over a period of him. He's not tiny but is not big. Doesn't play with much physicality at all. Can read the play pretty welland activate up in the offense and is very patient with the puck. I can definitely say he didn't wow me. So my take on him is if he really commits to adding muscle and adding atleast a tiny bit of physicality and urgency to his game in the d-zone. I think he may have a chance someday. But if he doesn't, then he'll probably be a good d1 guy and minor leaguer.

Again, that was after only a little over a period. But i doubt his defensive game is much different than what i saw. The puck skills are promising but he needs to improve the other parts of his game which if he has a good work ethic and really wants it, are more than doable to improve on.

He's definitely someone i look forward to following though.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Well, he ended up going in the 3rd round. Good for him.

1 year later though and still only 1 post in this thread that doesn't belong to me :laugh:

Maybe some Devils fans can chime in how he looked in development camp?

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Well, he ended up going in the 3rd round. Good for him.

1 year later though and still only 1 post in this thread that doesn't belong to me :laugh:

Maybe some Devils fans can chime in how he looked in development camp?

very impressive

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Seems like he's left a positive impression thus far:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2017/07/how_defenseman_reilly_walsh_showed_off_his_offensi.html

Coming off a big offensive year in high school, Devils defenseman prospect Reilly Walsh didn't seem fazed during the team's scrimmage to close Development Camp on Saturday.

The 2017 third-round Draft pick scored a pair of goals for his team, while also showing physicality in the defensive zone with hits and blocks near the net.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
^Thanks guys. Looking forward to seeing how he adapts to college hockey next season. Harvards right side on D looks pretty good with Fox (Flames), Marino (Oilers) and Walsh (Devils).

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
This kid has looking amazing thus far. Scored in their pre-season game as well (3g in 5 gp total).

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Is he a future huge stud for NJ??

Been hearing alot about him so far this season

After watching him at Harvard i'm very skeptical he'll become an everyday NHL player let alone a stud. He's playing well in the A but he has some much more promising prospects on D surrounding him.
Kid has a great shot though.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I really don't like him on the defensive side of the puck. But he's an offensive weapon for sure and NJ might finally have the sort of big, range-y two-way defenders in the system to insulate him on the third pair.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Is he a future huge stud for NJ??

Been hearing alot about him so far this season
NHL, for sure. Stud, still tbd. He is playing very well now. (All these Harvard d-men seem to have pretty short adjustment periods to pro game).

Given the timeline, and comparable skillset, he will likely be replacement for PK Subban in 2022.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
7 goals, 28 assists for 35 points this year so far in the AHL. Has he done enough to earn a late season callup to the big club?

Was reminded on the Devils board that teams can only make four callups post-deadline (not including injury emergencies) and the team already used three on Daws, Greer, and Bahl. Probably makes more sense to save that last one on another position especially if Hamilton/Severson/Subban can remain healthy.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad