RD Philippe Myers (2015 undrafted; 2015 signed, PHI)

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
With older guys like Hagg, Morin and Sanheim being on the verge of NHL ready, and Ghost, Provy and Gudas already in the roster, there is no need to rush Myers.

But in the same breathe, what if he comes to camp and is better than those 3? It will be a dogfight between those 4 for likely 2 open D spots on the roster. With all 4 being waiver exempt next year, you could see guys moving up and down if need be.

But I have no issue if Myers is in the AHL all year or longer as long as he keeps developing. No need to rush anyone. Make them FORCE their way onto the team.

Unless he falls flat on his face, Sam is a lock so who is next I have no clue. My opinion is Hagg makes the jump. This is a golden opportunity for him so I hope he makes the most of it. Sanheim and Meyers need to mature some more but you never know. But to start the season with three rookies on the back end at once is rare to say the least.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's a great skater but could still work on his agility in tight. I'd like to see some varied offensive game from him too, he had a good shot from the point but he could get a few more tricks. He makes some bad mistakes and turnovers, like every junior player does of course, but those will have to be cleaned up at the next level. Like last night he was holding the puck behind the net on a change and just allowed the puck to get stolen from him. He has the talent and tools to develop quickly but he's not near NHL ready right now from what I see.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
He's a great skater but could still work on his agility in tight. I'd like to see some varied offensive game from him too, he had a good shot from the point but he could get a few more tricks. He makes some bad mistakes and turnovers, like every junior player does of course, but those will have to be cleaned up at the next level. Like last night he was holding the puck behind the net on a change and just allowed the puck to get stolen from him. He has the talent and tools to develop quickly but he's not near NHL ready right now from what I see.

Honestly, I see the same things you do. He has the tools, and I believe he has an NHL future, but yea, he ain't ready yet. A full season (at least) in the AHL is what I see as the likely development route.

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
Yeah. That scouting report is 3 years old.

Except it's not. Every single scouting report and prospect ranking before this season still said Sanheim needed a lot of work in the defensive zone. Appleyard may be right that it was more junior system and him just not playing physical but that was his scouting report heading into this season as well.

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
Problem is that Sanheim has really dispelled any misgivings over his defense in the AHL this year - I think the way he had to play in the WHL meant that he ALWAYS had to push the play as he was Calgary's best offensive player. He came in from day one in the AHL and was good defensively.

I really don't think there is that much difference between them at same age defensively. Myers is no defensive stalwart himself - he is just a bit more physical than Sanheim.

Iv heard good things about Sanheim D zone play this year which is nice. Maybe it was his system and just lack of physical play that resulted in every scout saying he needed a lot work on his D zone play even heading into this season.

I do think Myers is a more well rounded player at this stage in their development. Him playing a big 2 way 1st pair role at WJC while Sanheim barely got any playing when he wasnt scratched is a good indicator imo.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Iv heard good things about Sanheim D zone play this year which is nice. Maybe it was his system and just lack of physical play that resulted in every scout saying he needed a lot work on his D zone play even heading into this season.

I do think Myers is a more well rounded player at this stage in their development. Him playing a big 2 way 1st pair role at WJC while Sanheim barely got any playing when he wasnt scratched is a good indicator imo.

Sanheim also played for a coach who felt Joe Hicketts should get a 4 minute shift instead of trusting a guy like Sanheim.

Regardless, trust the guys who have seem lots of Sanheim all year. Defense has not been an issue.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

What Tripod said....don't judge Sanheim because he played for a coach who was more interested in making HIS guy the #1 defenceman than actually playing the guys who deserved to be played. Heck he barely played Konecny who looked great out there. If he coached last WJs and Hicketts was there, Chabot and Myers would have been 2nd pairing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

That only indicated that Canada upgraded their coach.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's funny to still seeing people using the coaching decisions of a guy who used Joe Hicketts like he was Nick Lidstrom on his way to a quarterfinal exit to bash Sanheim. :laugh:

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Anyone get J-Bo vibes from Myers? Tall, skates well and can put up points.. He will be a solid top 4 dman for a long time but nothing too spectacular? Just real solid.

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
Anyone get J-Bo vibes from Myers? Tall, skates well and can put up points.. He will be a solid top 4 dman for a long time but nothing too spectacular? Just real solid.

That seems like a good comparison. With Provorov already being a #1 dman and guys like Ghost and Sanheim already in the system he doesnt necessarily need to be anything spectacular either. If one of Sanheim or Myers becomes a good top 4 guy the defense should be in good shape for the future.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

He's more dynamic than Bouwmeester. He is the type of guy that can rev it up out of nowhere for an end to end rush past multiple defenders.

I see more Klingberg in him than Bouwmeester, but I would be happy with either lol.

Pablo Sanchez

The Secret Weapon
Oct 17, 2011
Nj
He also didnt play well in his time that he did play

He was on the ice for like one goal against for the whole tournament? How well would you have wanted him to play logging third pair minutes with mostly all defensive zone draws?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah, I was mostly being a goof. I don't really care. Chabot and Myers are probably in the same tier, no?

Chabot seems to be on a tier by himself right now for Dmen. But Myers is in the next tier IMO. It's just hard for some to admit that because he wasn't drafted. If we was drafted 20th overall in a draft, the hype would be more.

Got lucky grabbing him for free.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Honestly, because y'all got him for free you tend to hype up Myers more. He's a very nice prospect but slow down a touch. He can start by contributing to win a damn game for Rouyn-Noranda tomorrow.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Stylistically, I see more of Pietrangelo than Bouwmeester in Myers, who likes to push the puck up ice and join or lead the rush. We'll see if he can be a fraction as good. 95/100 would be a nice fraction. :)

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Honestly, because y'all got him for free you tend to hype up Myers more. He's a very nice prospect but slow down a touch. He can start by contributing to win a damn game for Rouyn-Noranda tomorrow.

He can start what? Proving himself to you? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad