RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I hear people saying he's a very raw prospect with no real flaws in his game. Now I haven't watched Dobson once, but the last time I heard that was Brandon Gormley and we all know how that turned out. How would Dobson differ from that Gormley mold?

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I hear people saying he's a very raw prospect with no real flaws in his game. Now I haven't watched Dobson once, but the last time I heard that was Brandon Gormley and we all know how that turned out. How would Dobson differ from that Gormley mold?

Gormley

2008-09Moncton WildcatsQMJHL6272027349101346
2009-10Moncton WildcatsQMJHL58934435431212151710
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dobson

2016-17Acadie-Bathurst TitanQMJHL63719264034110552
2017-18Acadie-Bathurst TitanQMJHL671752695233203101324
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dobson has shown significant progression from D-2 to D-1 in comparison. He also has a significantly better shot than Gormley and is more willing to jump into the play. I am still surprised at the decay of Gormley's game, but he has had injuries throughout his career and sometimes that's all it takes to sidetrack a career. Dobson is just currently tracking and showing progression at a faster rate than Gormley ever did.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
"Pietrangelo is showing why most 'experts' think he is a lock to be a top 5 pick in the 2008 NHL Draft in Ottawa.
The only knock on him was that he was not physical enough. We agreed with that and it's clear to us that Alex heard the talk.
He has stepped up his physical game a bit but it's his smarts and poise that we love so much. It almost seems like he's not trying at times because he makes it all look so easy. Alex is so smart with and without the puck. He is one of those players that seems to slow the game down, his vision on the ice is outstanding. He makes great reads on when to hold the blueline and has a knack for keeping the puck in.
He consistantly sports a great plus/minus and averages almost a point per game. He makes great reads on the powerplay and like all great players, he makes players around him better. Petro's top end potential ceiling is very high, we expect him to be a top end NHL'er for many years.
Through all hype Alex just keeps everything under control and puts the team first. He is the most mature 17 year old I have ever met, I swear he's 27."

"The 6'3" Pietrangelo is a big, mobile puck mover who makes doing things with the puck appear easy. Scouts believe his upside is huge because he's only just started to tap into his physical presence and as he matures they believe he could be a dominant force at both ends of the ice."

"The theory with Alex Pietrangelo was that at the time he wasn’t considered the best defenseman in the 2008 class, but he just might develop into that title in the next five years. He was the type of player that had all of the necessary tools for an elite defenseman (size, skating, poise, etc), but no one could guarantee that all of those tools would fully blossom at the NHL level."

All of the above describes exactly what Dobson is right now. Every year, we think we have a Pietrangelo in the draft, but this year, Dobson is really almost like a Pietrangelo clone. For me, he's much more similar to Pietrangelo than to Gormley.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

In terms of IQ they were both way above their competition. Gormley was relying on it way more than Dobson, who can also used his skills to lead the play. That's what seperates him with Gormley in my eyes. A combination of IQ, skills, speed and size can be deadly. As for Gormley, a Q player relying mostly on his IQ would have a hard time translating to the big stage. Might be why he fell down the ranking a bit on draft day. I don't expect this to happen with Dobson.

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
Hey everyone, I wanted to get a gauge as to where everyone thinks Noah Dobson will land in the upcoming draft.
With Dobson battling it out with defencemen like Bouchard, Hughes, Boqvist for higher draft position, it really is unclear as to where he will be picked in the draft.

I myself am a huge Dobson fan, although I may be a little bias since he is from my hometown. I went to a couple of games in Charlottetown to watch him play this year, and I was very impressed. He makes skating look so effortless, and with his size, shot, and very high hockey IQ, I personally feel like he will be drafted first out of the group of defencemen I listed.

I'm curious as to what you all think as well, looking forward to the replies!

Also, what do you think the ceiling/floor are as far as potential goes when it comes to Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes, and Boqvist?

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Honestly, all the top defenseman after Dahlin are huge x-factors in this draft. It’s an extremely unpredictable draft...about as unpredictable as I’ve seen since I became a hardcore draft junky the past couple years.

I wouldn’t be surprised after Dahlin and Svech that any one of the defenseman could get picked be it Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes, or even Boqvist shortly thereafter.

Dobson at 3 or 4 wouldn’t even surprise me.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
Honestly, all the top defenseman after Dahlin are huge x-factors in this draft. It’s an extremely unpredictable draft...about as unpredictable as I’ve seen since I became a hardcore draft junky the past couple years.

I wouldn’t be surprised after Dahlin and Svech that any one of the defenseman could get picked be it Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes, or even Boqvist shortly thereafter.

Dobson at 3 or 4 wouldn’t even surprise me.
I'm hoping Dobson lasts til 7th but like earlier stated after the first 2 picks anything is possible.
Somewhere from 4th-6th. 2nd D chosen is a good bet.
Yeah I've started following the drafts for the past few years a lot more than I used to, and I haven't really seen anything like the D-men available in the top 10 this year. Wherever these 4 guys land, the team that selects them will be lucky. Personally, I would love to see Dobson go to the Coyotes at 5.

Reactions: derriko

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
If he was the exact same player, he might have put up fewer points and have been exposed more defensively. Who knows? Ohl is a tougher league defensively
We saw that at the Memorial Cup where Dobson, in spite of being the best D of the Tournament, was a non factor.
Brilliant!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He isn't that raw. But, the biggest difference is Dobson is an elite skater. Gormley was below average.

Reactions: shello and 99664987

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Pietrangelo is a solid comparison. I sure hope he reaches that potential. Not 100% sure he has the same offensive ceiling but i hope im wrong.

As a Sens fan he reminds me of Chabot ++

Reactions: 99664987

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
Pietrangelo is a solid comparison. I sure hope he reaches that potential. Not 100% sure he has the same offensive ceiling but i hope im wrong.

As a Sens fan he reminds me of Chabot ++
I see him lately on some lists as a #4-5.
That is pretty well where I see him drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad