RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
With the way his game is trending up, he could be the best d-man in the entire CHL next year. Starring as the alpha dog on Team Canada's blue line as an 18 year old is impressive... he turns 19 right when the WJC is over.

Obviously thrilled with him as an Isles fan, it has been forever since we've had a legit #1D upside prospect. I'm all in on this kid.

This is going to make me seem like I'm not high on Dobson but I am (I would've taken him as the 2nd dman in the draft) but while it woul dusually be spectacular to be Canadas top D as an 18 year old, this year all 6 D are likely going to be from this past draft. It more says something about last years Canadian defensemen than Dobson almost because youre right that it rarely happens. But if it isnt Dobson, someone else is going to be Canadas top dman as an 18 year old because thats basically inevitable this year.

I also somewhat wonder if hes looked so good at the summer showcase because hes played the most recent hockey in the mem cup. Quite a few of these guys havent played for over a month or 2 longer than Dobson has so he might be in better game shape. Just a theory though obviously

Reactions: Fixxer

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He barely edged out Brandom Gormley by 1 spot. Most pundits figured he was going much earlier than #12. It was destiny.

If I recall correctly, didn't Gormley fall on draft day also? I remember not being all that thrilled with Cam Fowler (we already had CdH at the time) and was interested in Gormley as that complete 2-way beast... very similar scouting report and projection to Dobson as well.

Hopefully Dobson turns out a lot better than Gormley.

Safe bet

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is going to make me seem like I'm not high on Dobson but I am (I would've taken him as the 2nd dman in the draft) but while it woul dusually be spectacular to be Canadas top D as an 18 year old, this year all 6 D are likely going to be from this past draft. It more says something about last years Canadian defensemen than Dobson almost because youre right that it rarely happens. But if it isnt Dobson, someone else is going to be Canadas top dman as an 18 year old because thats basically inevitable this year.

I also somewhat wonder if hes looked so good at the summer showcase because hes played the most recent hockey in the mem cup. Quite a few of these guys havent played for over a month or 2 longer than Dobson has so he might be in better game shape. Just a theory though obviously

I think it's a valid theory.

Dobson's stock is on the rise for several factors. The recency bias is strong with the Memorial Cup run. He also has the underdog boost by the last of the '2nd 4' to be drafted. From what most know about Dobson and his game, the confirmation bias is also there by being pretty much exactly as advertised during the Showcase. He was deployed like a #1D and Terrible Tim gushed about him. The hype train is roaring down the rails right now as a result.

The strong defensive class in this year's draft is going to be great for Canada this upcoming season, things could be drastically different for next year's WJC. It's not a stretch that Dobson, Smith, and Bouchard could all be unavailable. The 2001's are going to need to take up that slack.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
but thats what Gormley was supposed to be

I could not find a picture of safe, safer, safest hockey players .. but you get the idea

australiaen.png

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
On cap-friendly, all the details aren't confirmed. I'm wondering if Lou has gone back to how he ran things in Jersey, as he doesn't have a single superior, unlike Toronto where he had Shanahan (but was given almost full control). Currently, there appear to be no-bonuses on Dobson's deal. In Toronto, obviously, Matthews got them but even a later first rounder like Liljegren got them. In New Jersey, he even held out from giving them to a top 5 pick in Larsson.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
On cap-friendly, all the details aren't confirmed. I'm wondering if Lou has gone back to how he ran things in Jersey, as he doesn't have a single superior, unlike Toronto where he had Shanahan (but was given almost full control). Currently, there appear to be no-bonuses on Dobson's deal. In Toronto, obviously, Matthews got them but even a later first rounder like Liljegren got them. In New Jersey, he even held out from giving them to a top 5 pick in Larsson.

Dobson posted on his instagram. It's official! Maybe more financial details will come.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Noah Dobson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

$537.5K performance bonus each year + signing bonus
Seems Lou has changed his ways for good when it comes to this. Was curious to see how it played out. I guess coming into a situation where guys already have it, he didn't see the need to try to implement it again. In Jersey he was doing it since the current CBA, so no player had them. Prior to the CBA, he did give bonuses for team related accomplishments, which are no-longer allowed.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Really sad the habs couldn’t get another pick to grab this kid. I truly believe that 5-6 years down the line people will be scratching their heads as to how he fell to 12th

Reactions: ds4130

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
I truly believe that 5-6 years down the line people will be scratching their heads as to how he fell to 12th

This. I had Dobson 3rd on my list and thought for sure he would’ve come off the board by the 6th or 7th pick. Defensemen this complete are just so hard to acquire. Was flabbergasted when he fell all the way to 12.

Reactions: 99664987

scott99

May 13, 2005
Dobson was a definite NEED for the Isles. A lot of their current and future dmen are small (which is most) and have some offensive talent. Their larger dmen on the team and in the system, besides Pulock, have zero to hardly any amount of offensive talent.

Dobson is exactly what they needed, a big defenseman who is excellent defensively, and well as has offensive talent. Months before the draft, my preference was Dobson or Bouchard to the small defensemen prospects that are offensive dynamos. I wanted that large 2 way defenseman, and no offense to Bouchard, always preferred Dobson due to his better skating and better defensive game. Love both of those guys though, great prospects.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dobson was a definite NEED for the Isles. A lot of their current and future dmen are small (which is most) and have some offensive talent. Their larger dmen on the team and in the system, besides Pulock, have zero to hardly any amount of offensive talent.

Dobson is exactly what they needed, a big defenseman who is excellent defensively, and well as has offensive talent. Months before the draft, my preference was Dobson or Bouchard to the small defensemen prospects that are offensive dynamos. I wanted that large 2 way defenseman, and no offense to Bouchard, always preferred Dobson due to his better skating and better defensive game. Love both of those guys though, great prospects.

I joked about how the Isles got it wrong when this pick was made, they should have drafted Dobson at 11 and Wahlstrom at 12. I was half kidding. Both are great prospects where they were picked. But I do think Dobson is going to be a little more important to the Isles. He fills a big need on the team. Loved this pick, and really like the player too.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Edmonton will be laughed at in time for taking Bouchard over Dobson.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I joked about how the Isles got it wrong when this pick was made, they should have drafted Dobson at 11 and Wahlstrom at 12. I was half kidding. Both are great prospects where they were picked. But I do think Dobson is going to be a little more important to the Isles. He fills a big need on the team. Loved this pick, and really like the player too.
I agree about Dobson, he may wind up being the more important pick. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Wahlstrom, and was beyond thrilled when he fell to the Isles. But he has a better chance of being a boom or bust prospect, I think with Dobson, there's a better chance he will become what we think he will and what people say he will become, he's more of a safe pick (I don't mean that negatively, some people think being a safe pick is bad).

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's going to be the 3rd best player from the draft.

He's an absolute gun in both ends of the rink.

The fact the Isles weee able to get him at 12 is grand larceny.

Reactions: 99664987

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Ignoring Dahlin, I think at least 2 of the teams ahead of us that drafted defensemen might regret it. On a side note about the Islanders if they only had 1 pick I hope they would have picked Dobson before Wahlstrom and the only reason they picked Wahlstrom was because he was easier to push for PR purposes(ie a high scoring American)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Quinn Hughes is no slouch.

The real head-scratcher is Edmonton taking Bouchard ovet Dobson. They just love giving gifts to the Isles I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->