RD Nick Ebert - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2012, 211th overall, Los Angeles)

Grigo25*

There's no reason for his fall. Not one. He's playng the same game that he always has and has been playing effectively for a young team that for some odd reason is seen as underperforming expectations. He's +2 on a team that's given up a ton of goals.

If he falls out of Top 15 he's going to be the steal of the draft. There are very few scouts who rate his hockey sense as anything less than superior. His skating is well above average. He's strong as a bull. The list goes on with this player.

+1 for most overused phrase on the HFBoards :handclap:

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
If Ebert ends up having an injury than yes. Saad had the supposed character issues but also had an injury he was playing through that caused his game to drop.

Saad turned just about everyone off in the interviews. He was also playing through an unpublicized injury last year. But, overall, it was the combine interviews that killed him.

Ebert is polite and respectful and has never, personally, had issues with teammates or coaching. I can't say the same for a family member of his and that has hurt him at times.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
+1 for most overused phrase on the HFBoards :handclap:

What other phrase could you use for a player who a) is going to end up being a top player from both his draft class and the league but b) won't command that salary?

Some phrases are used and re-used for a reason. They're true.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Saad turned just about everyone off in the interviews. He was also playing through an unpublicized injury last year. But, overall, it was the combine interviews that killed him.
Ebert is polite and respectful and has never, personally, had issues with teammates or coaching. I can't say the same for a family member of his and that has hurt him at times.

Not saying your wrong at all but do you have some evidence of this...im interested as a hawks fan. From the interviews from the hawks side i only see a kid that looks like hes busting his ass.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Not saying your wrong at all but do you have some evidence of this...im interested as a hawks fan. From the interviews from the hawks side i only see a kid that looks like hes busting his ass.

What you can ask around and check on is that he behaved so poorly in those interviews that his then agent - whom I will not name - dropped him which exacerbated the drop. He then got picked up by John LeClair's outfit.

I agree with your assessment of his own ice work ethic.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Well, the reality is a lot can change with these kids in even a year's time. Dropping like a rock during your draft year can mature you really quickly. Typical fight or flight scenario.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
There's no reason for his fall. Not one. He's playng the same game that he always has and has been playing effectively for a young team that for some odd reason is seen as underperforming expectations. He's +2 on a team that's given up a ton of goals.

If he falls out of Top 15 he's going to be the steal of the draft. There are very few scouts who rate his hockey sense as anything less than superior. His skating is well above average. He's strong as a bull. The list goes on with this player.

I don't know how you can say there is no reason for his fall. Last year he looked so comfortable offensively and this year it's not the case. And it's not like Windsor was all that great last year, Ellis was pretty much carrying the team.

Ebert had pretty high expectations so I don't think it's odd that people say he's underpeforming. If you would have told someone Ebert would only have 14 points come WJC camp time last year, people would have flamed you. And honestly, it's not just points, Ebert looked like he didn't suffer his defensive game at the start of the year, but he's seemed to regress since that point.

I had concerns about his game last year, didn't think it was a true representation of how he played, but I never expected his game to falture this bad. I'll be shocked if he goes in the first round if he can't improve from this point. He really isn't looking like a top prospect.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
I don't know how you can say there is no reason for his fall. Last year he looked so comfortable offensively and this year it's not the case. And it's not like Windsor was all that great last year, Ellis was pretty much carrying the team.

Ebert had pretty high expectations so I don't think it's odd that people say he's underpeforming. If you would have told someone Ebert would only have 14 points come WJC camp time last year, people would have flamed you. And honestly, it's not just points, Ebert looked like he didn't suffer his defensive game at the start of the year, but he's seemed to regress since that point.

I had concerns about his game last year, didn't think it was a true representation of how he played, but I never expected his game to falture this bad. I'll be shocked if he goes in the first round if he can't improve from this point. He really isn't looking like a top prospect.

It's people who have a total misunderstanding of this player's game. Yes he will contribute on offense. but he has never, by any means, been an offensive minded defenseman at any of the higher levels - Bantam, Midget, USHL. IIRC, he never averaged anywhere near a point a game at the Youth Level except for maybe his midget year.

Last year was an outlier in terms of offense. His game has always been an edgier defense minded game. He's as strong as a bull and makes smart plays with the puck and if he has to he can carry it out. That has always been his game. He's not Brian Leetch but he is Brooks Orpik.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It's people who have a total misunderstanding of this player's game. Yes he will contribute on offense. but he has never, by any means, been an offensive minded defenseman at any of the higher levels - Bantam, Midget, USHL. IIRC, he never averaged anywhere near a point a game at the Youth Level except for maybe his midget year.

Last year was an outlier in terms of offense. His game has always been an edgier defense minded game. He's as strong as a bull and makes smart plays with the puck and if he has to he can carry it out. That has always been his game. He's not Brian Leetch but he is Brooks Orpik.

You're the first person I've seen who says he's not an offensive defensemen. That doesn't mean I think you're wrong but when I watch him I see an offensive or at the very least a 2 way defensemen who struggles to put up numbers. A lot of people (And people that people respect on these boards) expected him to put up numbers similar to Murphy this year. I didn't expect that but I know people did think that. At the very least thats what Windsors coaches and I think Ebert himself wants, to score and put up numbers, but he hasn't been playing at all like a guy who thinks defense first this year.

His defense really hasn't been that strong this season, he seems afraid to get dirty as well. Just been a disappointment IMO.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA

His defense really hasn't been that strong this season, he seems afraid to get dirty as well. Just been a disappointment IMO.

That doesn't sound like the Nick Ebert I know - who is the one who played fearlessly as a Squirt in a PeeWee world and beyond against players a year or two older all the way to a regular shift in the O as a 16 year old.

On the other hand, he may have a "genetic ancestor" in his ear barking about getting hurt this year. THAT would NOT surprise me.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
That doesn't sound like the Nick Ebert I know - who is the one who played fearlessly as a Squirt in a PeeWee world and beyond against players a year or two older all the way to a regular shift in the O as a 16 year old.

It's true. He just hasn't been as physical as he was at times last year. I really expected this area of his game to blossom this year because last year, he was at times a very physical player...as a 16 year old. The expectation would be that with another year of experience and an offseason adding strength, that this area of his game would be taken to another level. Instead, it's regressed. He still looks for the open ice hit, but he's having some issues in front of the net and in the corners.

And he hasn't been making great plays with the puck. He'll lug the puck up ice and seem unsure of what to do with it. Picks bad times to finish his rushes across the blueline...and picks bad times to dump it in. It's like he doesn't really feel comfortable out there.

I'd never seen Ebert before last year, so I can't comment on what his offensive play was like prior to the OHL. But as a 16 year old, he looked great offensively and was primed for a big year.

Maybe you're right. Maybe he's just trying to do too much to put up offensive numbers and it's having a negative effect on the rest of his game (kind of like what happened with Scott Harrington last year in London).

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Watching Ebert again tonight, he is absoulutely invisable, defensively, offensively and definitely physically.

He's getting worse every time I watch him, I really don't know how he's so bad this year.

byeyimini

Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
Nick Ebert

Hi all, what's up with Nick Ebert ? His stock seems to have fallen off. I notice the points are down this season. Did he take a step backwards ? Fighting an injury ? Thoughts ??

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Hi all, what's up with Nick Ebert ? His stock seems to have fallen off. I notice the points are down this season. Did he take a step backwards ? Fighting an injury ? Thoughts ??

From what I understand he has regressed quite a bit.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
All prospects are expected to show everything they've got their draft year because it shows teams that the players will put in the necessary effort needed to develop into NHL players. Ebert has done the opposite of that and will likely fall to the third or fourth round.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Played with Ryan Ellis last season. Ellis moves on to NSH.

I'm from Ebert's hometown and apparently the kid is dumb as wood.

Poor hockey IQ and Ellis' absence are the two contributing factors to his downfall.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Played with Ryan Ellis last season. Ellis moves on to NSH.

I'm from Ebert's hometown and apparently the kid is dumb as wood.

Poor hockey IQ and Ellis' absence are the two contributing factors to his downfall.

Sounds like Dion Phaneuf jr.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
In a span of 4 months, he went from top 5 all the way to 70 in rankings. Hopefully the Devils can pick him up late, force a good work ethic into his lifestyle and keep in his home state! The Devils are his favorite team, by the way.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I said it last year and people didnt believe me, but Ellis made his offense look a hell of a lot better than it is, and gave people the impression he could pull a Murphy this year. Now that hes playing the big minutes (Or rather was) he cant handle them. You cant even tell he has talent anymore.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
not dynamic enough, points have taken a hit this year and of course not playing with ellis has shown us the real ebert.

i still feel with a solid 2nd half of season and if a team really likes him he might creep up into the "tweener zone" late 1st-early 2nd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad