RD Nick Ebert - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2012, 211th overall, Los Angeles)

byeyimini

Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
Nick Ebert

Hi all, was wondering if you guys care to project Ebert's season next year ? Assumption is Ellis moves on up and Ebert kinda takes over as the PP QB, more minutes, no injuries, etc. I don't follow the Spits closely, so correct me if that's out of line. What kind of numbers do you think he puts up ? What kind of player is he ? Thanks !

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Hi all, was wondering if you guys care to project Ebert's season next year ? Assumption is Ellis moves on up and Ebert kinda takes over as the PP QB, more minutes, no injuries, etc. I don't follow the Spits closely, so correct me if that's out of line. What kind of numbers do you think he puts up ? What kind of player is he ? Thanks !

As of right now he'd have to
be a top 5 player for the draft, but alot can change in 12 months.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I can not see why Ebert can not put up around 65-75 points next year, the guy is the next drew doughty IMO, good skater, excellent puck mover and rusher, excellent offensive skills, good in his own zone, will make the hit, very smart on the ice.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I can not see why Ebert can not put up around 65-75 points next year, the guy is the next drew doughty IMO, good skater, excellent puck mover and rusher, excellent offensive skills, good in his own zone, will make the hit, very smart on the ice.

65-75 points is streching it IMO. 60 points is a more reasonable high end expectation.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Nick Ebert - Falling?

Why is he falling? Earlier, I saw mock drafts of him possibly going 1st or 2nd overall in the draft, but now I see him going late mid/late 1st round to possibly early 2nd round (Craig Button). Anyone know why?

The only reason I ask is because I know him personally from travel hockey a few years ago and I played against him for a little bit for when he played for his high school.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
There seem to be a lot of underlying causes really (both from what I'm hearing, reading, and seeing).

1) He apparently came into camp out of shape and the Spits coaching staff wasn't happy with his attitude (or at least his "swagger" as one person I've talked to described it).

2) He's trying to do too much. With Ryan Ellis gone, Windsor was looking for him to take over as their premier powerplay quarterback. Last year he looked good on the PP being Ellis' triggerman. This year, he's having some difficulty making those quick decisions himself. He's also picking bad spots to join the rush and his defensive game has suffered because of the chances he's been taking offensively.

3) He's been under the microscope too long. This happens every year with certain prospects. Guys who have been watched heavily (and hyped heavily) since they were in midget. And now that it's there draft year, people begin to nitpick or over analyze their game. And with that scrutiny comes added pressure, which the player begins to feel.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
There seem to be a lot of underlying causes really (both from what I'm hearing, reading, and seeing).

1) He apparently came into camp out of shape and the Spits coaching staff wasn't happy with his attitude (or at least his "swagger" as one person I've talked to described it).

2) He's trying to do too much. With Ryan Ellis gone, Windsor was looking for him to take over as their premier powerplay quarterback. Last year he looked good on the PP being Ellis' triggerman. This year, he's having some difficulty making those quick decisions himself. He's also picking bad spots to join the rush and his defensive game has suffered because of the chances he's been taking offensively.

3) He's been under the microscope too long. This happens every year with certain prospects. Guys who have been watched heavily (and hyped heavily) since they were in midget. And now that it's there draft year, people begin to nitpick or over analyze their game. And with that scrutiny comes added pressure, which the player begins to feel.

So basically he's Sean Couturier 2.0 except he's defense and isn't ready for the NHL...yet.

arsmaster*

From the outside looking in, its looks as if those are the problems, and that is the order.

You can say he is being nitpicked, but he is also expected to be much better. He isnt meeting expectations (even though they were very high)...other defensman are exceeding their expectations, thus leaving him behind.
So basically he's Sean Couturier 2.0 except he's defense and isn't ready for the NHL...yet.

No. Thats a cop out IMO. Sean Couturier's play didnt drop in his draft year it got better, people just wanted to see him light up the WJC, and he wasnt given the opportunity to do that.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Why is he falling? Earlier, I saw mock drafts of him possibly going 1st or 2nd overall in the draft, but now I see him going late mid/late 1st round to possibly early 2nd round (Craig Button). Anyone know why?

I'm not sure I saw any mock draft that him 1/2 overall. Yakapov has been number 1 for some time. I did see some at number 5.

Anyways, why is he falling? Look no further than the point total. He started out the first 3/4 of last year looking really good putting up a lot of points, then faded, then disappeared in the playoffs (granted injured so people let it slide). This year has been much the same. He's on pace for something like 25 points and only 2 goals. For a guy who may be a slightly below average size D man, who is good D wise but not great, that does not translate into a good draft position.

He has talent, he showed it last year. Its up to him to step up his play and prove it was not riding coattails of his teammates last year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The last two can be fixed, but the first could be seen as a long-term issue. There's always red flags with kids with perceived attitude problems.

When Windsor was in Kingston this past Sunday, I hardly noticed Ebert. That was a far cry from last year, where he looked outstanding every time I saw him. He did score against Kingston thought ... an empty netter. :sarcasm:

LuckyLuke87

May 11, 2010
Prague
I would say more of Brandon Saad V2.0 than Couturier.

Couturier was considered surefire top2 pick but was passed by superior players (and play of RNH, Larsson or Landeskog proves that right). I see Ebert's situation similar to Saad's - expected top10 pick struggles in his draft year and slides to 2nd round. How Saad's situation played out you already know ;)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'm not sure I saw any mock draft that him 1/2 overall. Yakapov has been number 1 for some time. I did see some at number 5.

Anyways, why is he falling? Look no further than the point total. He started out the first 3/4 of last year looking really good putting up a lot of points, then faded, then disappeared in the playoffs (granted injured so people let it slide). This year has been much the same. He's on pace for something like 25 points and only 2 goals. For a guy who may be a slightly below average size D man, who is good D wise but not great, that does not translate into a good draft position.

He has talent, he showed it last year. Its up to him to step up his play and prove it was not riding coattails of his teammates last year.

Don't think he was ever put at number one in a list but quite a few people thought he was a first overall candidate and one or two people thought he was the best player at that point.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As I said in the another thread and it's been mentioned is his point total is just suffering, but he's had some bad luck also. When I've seen him play he looked solid in both zones with a few really nice rushes that reminded of EJ, but didn't like his play around the net and could be much more tougher. If I was a GM around 10-17 I would still take him.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I would say more of Brandon Saad V2.0 than Couturier.

Couturier was considered surefire top2 pick but was passed by superior players (and play of RNH, Larsson or Landeskog proves that right). I see Ebert's situation similar to Saad's - expected top10 pick struggles in his draft year and slides to 2nd round. How Saad's situation played out you already know ;)

If Ebert ends up having an injury than yes. Saad had the supposed character issues but also had an injury he was playing through that caused his game to drop.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
is Musil a good comparison? he was supposed to be a high pick

backdoorpass

ive seen him and he wasnt very good and to me was not a 1st rounder, that said i have only seen him once
not a great guy off the ice as well

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA

The only reason I ask is because I know him personally from travel hockey a few years ago and I played against him for a little bit for when he played for his high school.

There's no reason for his fall. Not one. He's playng the same game that he always has and has been playing effectively for a young team that for some odd reason is seen as underperforming expectations. He's +2 on a team that's given up a ton of goals.

If he falls out of Top 15 he's going to be the steal of the draft. There are very few scouts who rate his hockey sense as anything less than superior. His skating is well above average. He's strong as a bull. The list goes on with this player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad