RD Nick Ebert - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2012, 211th overall, Los Angeles)

jughead42*

Ebert is scary good. You watch him play and there really isn't an aspect to his game that that stands out as a weakness and there are oh so many strengths. The pinhead above who's talking about Ryan Ellis making Ebert look good has absolutely no clue what he's talking about. Judging from the avatar he's just an assburnt Kitchener fan that's still bitter about his crappy team choking in the conference finals last year to Windsor so he's poo-pooing their prospect. Ebert looks like a 19yo veteran on the ice, if he's not the top defenceman of his draft year I'm a monkey's uncle.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Ebert is scary good. You watch him play and there really isn't an aspect to his game that that stands out as a weakness and there are oh so many strengths. The pinhead above who's talking about Ryan Ellis making Ebert look good has absolutely no clue what he's talking about. Judging from the avatar he's just an assburnt Kitchener fan that's still bitter about his crappy team choking in the conference finals last year to Windsor so he's poo-pooing their prospect. Ebert looks like a 19yo veteran on the ice, if he's not the top defenceman of his draft year I'm a monkey's uncle.

You're insane if you think him playing with Ellis hasn't helped him at all. Its funny how you bring up a completely unrelated topic to try to prove your point that I must be some dumb Kitchener homer whose out to post in topics to degrade Windsor players.

You're one of the worst Windsor homers here, you hear anything bad about Windsor and you immideitlly jump up screaming that they're wrong and they must have a grudge agaisnt Windsor because they don't agree that something to do with Windsor is the best thing in junior hockey ever.

Ebert is not even the best 2012 defensemen playing in the CHL, if you think hes better than Murray who should have made Team Canada and only didn't because hes got a age disadvantage, you've never seen Murray. Eberts offensive stats are definitely inflated at this point playing with Ellis, so lets see how he does next season leading the defense on his own without having his mentor on his pairing before we jump to conclusions like your doing.

The way you talk about him you make it sound like he should win CHL Defensemen of the year this year :laugh:

jughead42*

Ebert didn't have Ryan Ellis to make him look good last year as a 15 year old in the USHL and he doesn't regularly play with Ellis as his partner this year so I think you're full of crap and haven't been paying as much attention to what's happening as you'd like to portray.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Ebert didn't have Ryan Ellis to make him look good last year as a 15 year old in the USHL and he doesn't regularly play with Ellis as his partner this year so I think you're full of crap and haven't been paying as much attention to what's happening as you'd like to portray.

15 year old seasons mean nothing at this point.

And Eberts been with Ellis for easily a majority of this season, don't kid yourself, Ebert was on first pairing before Ellis came back, and hes barely moved.

You're trying to bring up excuse after excuse after excuse. First was OMG HES A KITCHENER FAN, obviously that didn't work, then its Well he already played good in the USHL!, that has zero to do with how he is now, and now its Ebert doesnt even play with Ellis, which again, isn't true. They've done shuffling but Ebert has consitently been playing with Ellis, which is not a bad thing, which makes it all the more curious you're fighiting it because playing with Ellis is the best thing for him and would be incredibly stupid if he wasn't (Kitchener did the same thing last year with Murphy and Moore). Fact is, its a mark of a truly top defensemen to in his draft year to take over the defense, Doughty did it, Murphys doing it this year, Murray and Reinhart will be doing it next year, Ebert should do it, but hes got the biggest shoes to fill.

Obviously I have nothing agaisnt Ebert, hes still Top 5, but I won't put him anywhere at #1 or even the #1 defensemen for the draft untill he proves next year he get even better without having Ellis.

jughead42*

I'm actually in Windsor watching him play while you're sitting in Kitchener making things up. Ebert plays with Ellis sometimes on the powerplay but even then Ebert was usually 2nd team powerplay while Ellis was with the team. Trust me Ellis isn't making Ebert look good, Ebert is doing that all on his own. Go talk about Murphy in a Ryan Murphy thread, nobody cares about Bryan Fogarty version 2.0 except you in this thread.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'm actually in Windsor watching him play while you're sitting in Kitchener making things up. Ebert plays with Ellis sometimes on the powerplay but even then Ebert was usually 2nd team powerplay while Ellis was with the team. Trust me Ellis isn't making Ebert look good, Ebert is doing that all on his own. Go talk about Murphy in a Ryan Murphy thread, nobody cares about Bryan Fogarty version 2.0 except you in this thread.

Where did I talk about Murphy besides me using him as well as several other players as an example? And on that note, so Murphys a drunk? Wow never knew he was an severe alcoholic, because thats why Fogarty never became anything. Seems you want to drive this off topic to attempt to prove your incorrect point.

You're seriously one of the worst homers I've ever seen. NHL hockey and junior hockey included. You just can't accept the fact Ellis is mentoring Ebert this year. Which I still can't understand why you won't accept that. Its a good thing, not a bad thing, but you want to make it look like Ebert is some super player destined to go #1 since he was 14 so you try to come up with bulslhit. I've seen 6 Windsor games this year, every single one but the Kitchener game a few nights ago, Ellis has been playing in them, and Ebert was on his pairing almost every time Ellis was on the ice.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Where did I talk about Murphy besides me using him as well as several other players as an example? And on that note, so Murphys a drunk? Wow never knew he was an severe alcoholic, because thats why Fogarty never became anything. Seems you want to drive this off topic to attempt to prove your incorrect point.

You're seriously one of the worst homers I've ever seen. NHL hockey and junior hockey included. You just can't accept the fact Ellis is mentoring Ebert this year. Which I still can't understand why you won't accept that. Its a good thing, not a bad thing, but you want to make it look like Ebert is some super player destined to go #1 since he was 14 so you try to come up with bulslhit. I've seen 6 Windsor games this year, every single one but the Kitchener game a few nights ago, Ellis has been playing in them, and Ebert was on his pairing almost every time Ellis was on the ice.

honestly your arguments are silly.

the man has torched you a number of times, yet you keep coming back for more! I love it!

Ebert and Ellis simply do not play that much together, yet you continue to spew off your garbage as if they do. Maybe Ellis is a fine mentor on the bench or the lockeroom, that is great and many players have had that throughout their careers (and even if they have played side by side all year long, I still dont get how that makes Ebert any worse). But it is on the ice as to what seperates Ebert from the rest. Ellis isnt helping Ebert pump in 8 goals this year, and Ellis isnt helping Ebert make every single pass on the ice as well. at some point your going to have to acknowledge that Ebert has the tools and skills to be the very best at his position by 2012.

you definitely seem to have an axe to grind with Ebert and that is fine, but at least bring up some valid points as to why anyone else is better at defense then Ebert instead of a supposed mentor whom Ebert rarely plays along side.

as for Murray, he is a very very solid player. Watched him twice this season. and for you to say he isnt an offensive defenseman is hilarious. Murray isnt going to be a shut down dman at any level, if he does make it to the pros it will be on his wheels and vision; which usually equates to being an offensive minded defeseman. I never said that is all that Murray is about, but that has been his calling card for years now and it is funny how the numbers arent coming around as originally "pimped" and now the kid isnt an offensive defenseman? pretty interesting.

you can twist things around all you like, but the bottom line is this: Ebert is the top performing all around dman for the 2012 draft currently, and Ryan Murray is behind him at this point. It isnt just the numbers either, the way Ebert plays the game is years ahead of his age, and I have seen near a dozen others support that as well.

There is still a long way to go before the 2012 draft and Ryan Murray could turn into the next Drew Doughty, but as it stands now, Nick Ebert is the all around better dman....

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I bet Cam Fowler only looked as good as he did last year because of Ryan Ellis? :shakehead

maybe Cam brings Ellis along in his suitcase for roadgames this season in the NHL :sarcasm:

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Yes, Ellis may be helping Ebert somewhat but you still gotta have the talent and poise to look good and make the right plays. Ebert has done that and he's done it well.

He's no slouch, that's for sure.

jughead42*

Ellis and Ebert are both right shooters, not that it precludes them from being a defense pairing. I had the pleasure of watching Cam Fowler play last year and you can already see many of the same qualities in Ebert. Both players are exceptional skaters with the puck who have ice in their veins when under pressure. Fowler suffered at the draft because he's not physical for a player his size and likely because of his happy go lucky attitude. Neither of those are issues with Ebert who is much more willing and better built already to play a physical game. I freely admit I have little exposure to the western kid, but from what I've seen of Ebert I can tell you he is well on his way to being a top pick regardless of Murray's performance. If Murray is better than Ebert right now he really must be a generational talent because Ebert looks like he could be one himself right now.

Ebert was the first rookie and first defenseman in the OHL this season to win player of the week honors, and Ellis was at Canada's WJC camp for 2 of the games played during the week he won the award. You were saying something Mr. Errettung? Ryan Murphy didn't pull that trick, Ryan Ellis himself hadn't done it yet.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/12604/ebert_named_ohl_player_of_the_week/
Here's a nice article about how Ebert stepped up in Ellis' absence.
http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Ebert+taking+after+Ellis/3972670/story.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
There's so much collective ignorance in this thread.

First, jughead is right. I don't care if Ebert plays with Jesus Christ on skates, his performance at his age is incredible.

Second, Ryan Murray is not an offensive defenseman. Anybody who thinks that either hasn't seen him play or doesn't understand hockey. Seems like some people aren't smart enough to distinguish between Murray and Murphy. They must be dreaming.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Yes, Ellis may be helping Ebert somewhat but you still gotta have the talent and poise to look good and make the right plays. Ebert has done that and he's done it well.

He's no slouch, that's for sure.

That's exactly what I'm saying, that Ellis is helping him, playing in a mentor role. But jughead and AmericanDream don't think so. They don't think Ebert needs a mentor at all, he's a generational talent don't you know. Could step into the NHL right now an win a Norris. He's a perfect player, better than any defensemen in the CHL clearly.

:sarcasm:

But seriously, I said wait till next year and we'l see how he does when he's the top defencemen on the team. I never said Ellis makes him look better than he is, I said his stats are inflated (If he wasn't playing with Ellis he would not have .75 PPG or about that. Especially since Windsor does not have much offensive depth at all. It takes nothing away from Ebert.

You cannot call hardly anyone a franchise player or Generational talent when they're 16. And Ebert is not one of those exceptions.

To me, it's absurd for anyone to label Ebert as a future franchise defenseman, he could, but for ****s sakes, he's 16, and next year he will be the beat defenseman on his team, unlike this year. We'll see how he performs. But to label players as such now, and to attack people who disagree and make up ******** to try to disprove them, shows how mature/how much of a homer you are.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
There's so much collective ignorance in this thread.

First, jughead is right. I don't care if Ebert plays with Jesus Christ on skates, his performance at his age is incredible.

Second, Ryan Murray is not an offensive defenseman. Anybody who thinks that either hasn't seen him play or doesn't understand hockey. Seems like some people aren't smart enough to distinguish between Murray and Murphy. They must be dreaming.

anyone that claims he (Murray) is not an offensive minded dman is dillusional.

so you must be saying that Ryan Murray is a shut down dman?

though my viewings of Murray have been limited the past two seasons, from what I have seen is that if he makes it to the NHL, it will be for as a more offensive defenseman then anything else.

maybe I am wrong, but Murray is not a shutdown dman...he is a solid two way defender

The Hockey News has a nice article on Murray from a few months back...I guess they must be missing the boat as well as he was pretty much all but labeled an offensive defenseman.

Murray himself is quoted as saying "My puck moving ability is probably the best " of his skillset

Murray also states "getting my head up and getting the puck up the ice" ....his best strength is being a puck moving defenseman??? hmmmmm, that kind of sounds like an offensive minded dman to me.

things just keep getting stranger around here..

article: www.thehockeynews.com/articles/35223-Prospect-Watch-Ryan-Murray.html

Last edited:

james30

Jan 13, 2010
he isn't big enough to be a shutdown defenseman in the NHL. He better be an offensive defenseman!

jughead42*

I said he COULD be a generational talent. I was basing that on his game as a 16yo obviously, which is without question exceptional. Regardless of his stats and the quality of the players around him, Nick Ebert shows an ability that is rare in players his age along with good size. Clearly he'll need to continue to develop, and I'm sure having Ryan Ellis as your captain will benefit that development. However Ryan Ellis isn't the reason that Nick Ebert has the poise of a salty veteran, that's all his own hockey ability.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I said he COULD be a generational talent. I was basing that on his game as a 16yo obviously, which is without question exceptional. Regardless of his stats and the quality of the players around him, Nick Ebert shows an ability that is rare in players his age along with good size. Clearly he'll need to continue to develop, and I'm sure having Ryan Ellis as your captain will benefit that development. However Ryan Ellis isn't the reason that Nick Ebert has the poise of a salty veteran, that's all his own hockey ability.

There has been 4 Generational defensemen in the past 40 years. Bobby Orr, Ray Bourqe, Paul Coffey, and Nikas Lidstrom, 3 if you don't want to include Coffey. Ebert may become a franchise defensemen, but is extremely unlikely he becomes as good as one of them.

jughead42*

There has been 4 Generational defensemen in the past 40 years. Bobby Orr, Ray Bourqe, Paul Coffey, and Nikas Lidstrom, 3 if you don't want to include Coffey. Ebert may become a franchise defensemen, but is extremely unlikely he becomes as good as one of them.

You are correct, it is unlikely. However if there were going to be another generational defenceman of that caliber then there would be a good chance that he'd start out as an exceptional 16yo who displays a rare ability for his age like Nick Ebert.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
You are correct, it is unlikely. However if there were going to be another generational defenceman of that caliber then there would be a good chance that he'd start out as an exceptional 16yo who displays a rare ability for his age like Nick Ebert.

He'd have to be the best defensemen on his team at 16, probably the best defensemen in the OHL to do that.

Even then, Pronger did that and hes not a generational defensemen.

loxcane

Apr 7, 2008
Canaduh
Good times. I'll take Murray at this point. I know I know. I'm "dill"usional also, and I hate Windsor and am planning a terrorist attack. Anyone have the number for holy homers?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Or he could be Drew Doughty (the 5th generational Dman).

I haven't seen Ebert play but he would have to be awfully good to be better than Ryan Murray from Everett at this point who is the best 16 year old Dman I have ever seen play live and is going to be a number 1 Dman in the NHL.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
He's top 4, for sure. I still think Nail Yakupov is the top of the class. He's just a great hockey player. Can score in bunches and has a nice physical game as well. Kind of like a more physical and complete Patrick Kane.

Grigorenko, Ebert, Galchenyuk, and Frk can round out a very solid top 5.

No Murray in your top 5?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->