RD Moritz Seider (2019, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Most forget that he is still really young. I don't think he will ever develop a Weber-level cannon, but with the power he displays on his wrister I would not at all be surprised if his slap shot becomes a strength. I think he going to be a top 2 two-way defender and will have plenty of highlight reel hits.

I hope he is using the layoff to just rip clappers all day in his basement, if he could get his slapshot going he could be deadly.

Agreed, he’s got good hands, and is a really good skater for his size. Very calm/composed with the puck, makes good decisions, protects the puck well with his body too. Obviously his defensive play and physicality stand out the most, but he’s got plenty of upside with the puck too.

Stylistically, he reminds me a lot of Parayko, but more physical. And talent wise, I do believe he has a shot to become something like a “more physical Parayko”, which would obviously be a hell of a dman. Doesn’t have the cannon of a shot that Parayko does, but he could improve on that over time.

He’s my favourite drafted dman that’s not currently in the NHL, I’d personally take him over Byram.

Out of everything comparison people throw out, more physical Parayko is probably my second favourite after Mattias Ohlund. I think hes tracking to have a very similar impact to Parayko but with some highlight reel hits mixed in. Watching Parayko rip his slapshot though makes me not love the comparison.

On your last point, after the season he just had and what I've seen from Byram I wouldnt trade Seider for him. I'm not going to say Seider is better for sure yet or anything like that but it wouldnt be all that surprising if he ends up better than Byram. He answered a lot of questions about his game this season

Reactions: ponder

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
So just a little thought I had. I've had all the 2020 WJHC games recorded so been watching them over and over incessantly.

The more I watch Seider, the more I see Victor Hedman.

The guy is going to be a legit top pairing dman. So smart, sound defensively and doesnt get enough credit on the boards for his ability to create offense.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
So just a little thought I had. I've had all the 2020 WJHC games recorded so been watching them over and over incessantly.

The guy is going to be a legit top pairing dman. So smart, sound defensively and doesnt get enough credit on the boards for his ability to create offense.

Said this on the wings board but I'll post it here in case you miss it. Thanks for taking the time to come post over here. I actually dont think he gets enough credit for how good he was that tournament. If he wasnt in that crazy pool, they wouldnt have been in the relegation round and he woulda won best dman of the tournament for sure. As a guy a year younger than his competition and how highly thought of Sandin and Romanov are, being the best dman in that tournament was pretty ridiculous

Reactions: Ratatoskr and DJB

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

He was excellent. Reminded me of Seth Jones.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I want him to play in WJC, Germany should be better than ever.
The Olympics will be even more exciting! If guys like Seider, Stutzle, Reichel and Peterka pan out, joining the likes of Draisaitl, Kahun, Grubauer, Greiss, Rieder, Holzer and Kuhnhackl, Germany could have a pretty good team. Like a non-negligible chance to medal.

Seider is key to that though, they’re strong at forward and in goal, but very weak on D, need Seider to be a stud who can play huge minutes.

Poda

Jul 31, 2020
Plus Michaelis, Sturm, Bergmann, Bokk who could step up, playing for their country. Decent forward group but nowhere near the medals.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Seider is a good one. He's going to be a bigger, better-skating Jacob Trouba. I'm not quite sure that he has Hedman's gigantic offensive upside, but his offensive potential is way better than people give him credit for. At the end of the day, it will all come down to how the Wings use him--if they get an offensive wizard (draft a Drysdale, or acquire a DeAngelo type) then Seider may end up an all-purpose, 28 minute D-Man with PP2 scraps. But if the Wings don't land that elite, offensive D weapon, Seider could end up like a Trouba/Weber player and score 50-55 points.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Seider is a good one. He's going to be a bigger, better-skating Jacob Trouba. I'm not quite sure that he has Hedman's gigantic offensive upside, but his offensive potential is way better than people give him credit for. At the end of the day, it will all come down to how the Wings use him--if they get an offensive wizard (draft a Drysdale, or acquire a DeAngelo type) then Seider may end up an all-purpose, 28 minute D-Man with PP2 scraps. But if the Wings don't land that elite, offensive D weapon, Seider could end up like a Trouba/Weber player and score 50-55 points.
Can't wait to see him play again.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Trouba skates great. Seider doesn’t skate any better. Good comparison though. I’ve used it before myself.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Trouba skates great. Seider doesn’t skate any better. Good comparison though. I’ve used it before myself.
Trouba is a good skater. Seider just looks so darn smooth and he's got those extremely long strides. He'll round out about 6-5, 225. Monster.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Weber in his prime was elite defensively - like top 2-3 in the league. I don't think Seider is a realistic comparison to that.

If there was a dman prospect to project to be a top 3 defensive dman in the league in the future it would probably be Seider though. Hes a two way guy but definitely his bread and butter is defensive play. Yeah, to become Weber defensively is unlikely but its unlikely for any player in a draft to end up that good defensively.

However if there was a prospect right now to bet on being that good defensively, I think Seider is the guy

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Seider looks like the complete package. I can see him as one of those D-men whose offense keeps developing later into his career, and he might develop to be a 50+ point guy in his mid-late 20s.
Not sure if this is a good or a bad sign but throughout his junior years offence was Seider's biggest strength. He actually had some major holes in his defensive game in his draft-1 year. Then almost out of nowhere, he looked incredibly calm and experienced in his DEL rookie season but the offensive game almost completely went away. I don't just mean that he didn't get many points, which is normal for a rookie playing pro, but his tools also seemed to have changed. He grew a lot, was extremely tough to handle defensively but lost that dynamic element that high-end offensive players need in the NHL. So on the one hand, I feel like there's something there that could come back with added experience. But at the same time I think his growth hurt his offensive upside and we won't see the player he was in juniors again.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Not sure if this is a good or a bad sign but throughout his junior years offence was Seider's biggest strength. He actually had some major holes in his defensive game in his draft-1 year. Then almost out of nowhere, he looked incredibly calm and experienced in his DEL rookie season but the offensive game almost completely went away. I don't just mean that he didn't get many points, which is normal for a rookie playing pro, but his tools also seemed to have changed. He grew a lot, was extremely tough to handle defensively but lost that dynamic element that high-end offensive players need in the NHL. So on the one hand, I feel like there's something there that could come back with added experience. But at the same time I think his growth hurt his offensive upside and we won't see the player he was in juniors again.

He was a 17 year old rookie in the DEL men's league tasked with playing a defensive role so he played it. If he sacrificed his junior offense to learn defense in a men's league then great. It worked out.
In the AHL he was tasked with playing as the #1 Dman on a mediocre to bad Griffins team and looked phenomenal. From the midway point in the season he was leading rushes up the ice and was the focal point for breakouts on that Griffins team, and they were much better and organized with him on the ice. The only thing he didn't display as an offensive tool was a hard slapshot from the point, but every other element in his game screams top 2 defenseman.

I don't care if he's not scoring as many points as John Carlson. I care how many points he's preventing. He'll likely be a 30-40 point defenseman in the NHL, and that's just the cherry on top of his game.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Seider looks amazing right now, tbh I think he's been the most impressive of all the 2019 draft class so far, obviously too early to make any massive projections, but the shock and surprise that he was picked as high as 6(I was wondering if the Canucks would pick him at 10) is certainly looking misplaced right now.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
From Chris Peters/ESPN:
When evaluating Seider for his draft season, I saw him only on film. He still popped but not in a way that made me believe he'd be the sixth overall pick in the 2019 draft. Then I got to see him live at the World Juniors and again in the AHL, and it was revelatory. His performance at the World Juniors on a shallow German team where he had to play seemingly every other shift was dominant. He had only a few even-strength goals against the entire tournament and could change the dynamic of the game when he was on the ice. It was one of the more impressive showings I've seen from a young prospect in all the years I've followed the World Juniors.

But even beyond his excellent playing ability, how can you not like him as a person? Seider showed up to the combine in a polo shirt, fashionable jeans and what he termed as "really nice" tennis shoes, despite the fact most players wear suits to the event. He didn't know any better, and I don't even think he cared. He's so comfortable with himself, and that's true on the ice, too. That will carry him far.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So Seider has now been loaned to Rogle of SHL. I believe he was originally loaned to the DEL , does anyone know why the league and team of the loan was changed, is DEL start date pushed back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad