RD Maxim Strbak - Michigan State Univ, NCAA (2023, 45th, BUF)

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Maxim Strbak
Height: 188 cm / 6'2"
Weight: 83 kg / 183 lbs
Nation: Slovakia

Maxim Strbak at eliteprospects.com

As of now he is the best Slovak defender for draft 2023. Strong in his own end but he has also offensive abilities. He had good HCG and he is doing quite well in the Finnish junior so far. He played his best match this season yesterday, adding 3 assists. He was also nominated for the U20 Slovak national team that will play the tournament in November.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Next season he should move to the USHL to the Sioux Falls Stampede and then follow the NCAA route. I'm curious how he adapts to NA. He still looks like the best Slovak defender for draft 2023, but in the second half of the season and WC U18 1A he had weaker performances. He still has a chance for the 2nd round, but I would say that the middle rounds are more realistic today. But I agree, in some parts of the season he showed better performances and a similar potential than at the same age Erik Cernak.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I think he’s been up and down at this tournament but overall good. Way better than Fehervary and Cernak were at 17. USHL will help him a lot.

yeah. Slovak team need reliable D, because in the last 4 games the Defense was simply horrible. Such many many personal mistakes, that leads to goals... Oh man.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia

I thought he wound up our best dman by the end of the tournament, which isn’t saying much because of how weak it was overall. But still, thought he got better as the tournament went along. Ended up playing over 21 mins against Finland. I am looking forward to seeing his progress at the December tournament.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
He was the best Dmen in this team which literally does not mean a lot, but you could clearly see the improvement during the tournament. I am wondering if he really comes to USHL or stays in Finland. Looking forward to see him at December WJC.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
He's going to the USHL. He's already confirmed at the University of Vermont as of 23/24 I think.
I see, it is great to see guys going the academic way. You can get great education and improve your hockey skills.
USHL looks like a good choice for him. A lot of scouts attend the games to watch USNTDP team plus there is Fantilli who is top 5 draft prospect. If he has good USHL season and December WJC, his stock will rise a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: hellwar9

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see, it is great to see guys going the academic way. You can get great education and improve your hockey skills.
USHL looks like a good choice for him. A lot of scouts attend the games to watch USNTDP team plus there is Fantilli who is top 5 draft prospect. If he has good USHL season and December WJC, his stock will rise a lot.

A lot of prospects also get drafted out of the USHL that aren’t NTDP. They usually aren’t drafted as high as the NTDP players because practically speaking the U18 NTDP players are the best American prospects for the draft, but there’s plenty of scouts watching when they aren’t playing NTDP or Chicago Steel.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
A lot of prospects also get drafted out of the USHL that aren’t NTDP. They usually aren’t drafted as high as the NTDP players because practically speaking the U18 NTDP players are the best American prospects for the draft, but there’s plenty of scouts watching when they aren’t playing NTDP or Chicago Steel.
It will be interesting to see if this creates a trend but Strbak will need to be a success for it to. Elias went to the USHL and did not get drafted. Zlnka got drafted but I think that was more so off his HGC performance not USHL.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Listed as one of the four honourable mentions on Bob McKenzie’s pre season rankings (only four players were listed: Strbak, Wood, Gulyayev, Smith. Meaning he must have gotten votes by scouts as a top 16-20 player in the draft.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
1 goal and 5 points in the first 9 matches. In my opinion a very good start of his DY. He could play even better as the season progresses. Possible riser and late first rounder?

Reactions: Antiillafire

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Michigan State is doing well some of the players they're bringing to East Lansing. Next year they have Strbak, Augustine, Lacroix, Sparkes, and 2024 they already have 3 NTDP players. Nightingale has been pretty good with pulling in players early in his time at MSU.
Strbak confirmed that he chose Michigan state over other offers from BU, Michigan, Minnesota, and UCONN (and Vermont of course).

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad