RD Maveric Lamoureux - Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL (2022, 29th, ARI)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
6 foot 8 RD, is he the tallest player in the next draft?.

Scored goals #1 & #2 of the season, in his last game.
7 points, -10 with 26 shots on goal and 16 penalty minutes this season so far in 20 games

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
My full report on Maveric Lamoureux | December 4th vs Quebec

"Lamoureux is a physical and defensive specimen who, despite possessing some glaring weaknesses and an overall very raw skillset, flashes an astonishing, exciting two-way potential. He is making scouts drool over the idea of what could be — a 6-foot-7 puck-moving, hard-hitting, defensively sounded rearguard. Lamoureux hit like a brick wall — meeting enemies with crushing checks in transition and completely neutralizing them in corners. His long stick helped him get his nose in many puck battles and disturb opponents in their deke, shot or pass attempts. I’d like to see him improve his pivot though, cause once speedy attackers got an open lane on the outside, they could fly to the net without ever getting contested. What differentiates Lamoureux from other big defensive defensemen though, is his encouraging mobility, and more specifically, how his play could evolve around it. It’s rare to see a prospect his size flashing the ability to move, accelerate and escape forecheckers like he did. He could transform puck retrievals into smooth zone breakouts, turning the corner with speed and navigating pressure with confidence. He was bold enough to push the pace with stretch passes, or at times, relied on simple outlets to start the transition. Lamoureux will need to improve his consistency on the breakout, showcasing shaky decision-making and passing accuracy, but the foundation is there for something special. Lamoureux is a long-term project, but he possesses somethings others don’t with his size, physical edge, defensive awareness and mobility. Could be a nice bet in the end of the second round or early in the third."

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
My full report on Maveric Lamoureux | December 4th vs Quebec

"Lamoureux is a physical and defensive specimen who, despite possessing some glaring weaknesses and an overall very raw skillset, flashes an astonishing, exciting two-way potential. He is making scouts drool over the idea of what could be — a 6-foot-7 puck-moving, hard-hitting, defensively sounded rearguard. Lamoureux hit like a brick wall — meeting enemies with crushing checks in transition and completely neutralizing them in corners. His long stick helped him get his nose in many puck battles and disturb opponents in their deke, shot or pass attempts. I’d like to see him improve his pivot though, cause once speedy attackers got an open lane on the outside, they could fly to the net without ever getting contested. What differentiates Lamoureux from other big defensive defensemen though, is his encouraging mobility, and more specifically, how his play could evolve around it. It’s rare to see a prospect his size flashing the ability to move, accelerate and escape forecheckers like he did. He could transform puck retrievals into smooth zone breakouts, turning the corner with speed and navigating pressure with confidence. He was bold enough to push the pace with stretch passes, or at times, relied on simple outlets to start the transition. Lamoureux will need to improve his consistency on the breakout, showcasing shaky decision-making and passing accuracy, but the foundation is there for something special. Lamoureux is a long-term project, but he possesses somethings others don’t with his size, physical edge, defensive awareness and mobility. Could be a nice bet in the end of the second round or early in the third."

My only concern is that, scouts focus is too much on his size.

Because too many big/huge guys been drafted over the years, in the 1st and 2nd round round only because of their size.

Hawks fell for that trope this year, just looking at the players got drafted after 6 foot 3 d-man Nolan Allan....
-imagine the guy picking Nolan Allan over Owen Zellweger.... height difference : 6 foot 3 vs 5 foot 10....

That said, i think Lamoreux is a legit prospect that will have a great pro career ahead of him.

Reactions: Andy Lehoux

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
My only concern is that, scouts focus is too much on his size.

Because too many big/huge guys been drafted over the years, in the 1st and 2nd round round only because of their size.

Hawks fell for that trope this year, just looking at the players got drafted after 6 foot 3 d-man Nolan Allan....
-imagine the guy picking Nolan Allan over Owen Zellweger.... height difference : 6 foot 3 vs 5 foot 10....

That said, i think Lamoreux is a legit prospect that will have a great pro career ahead of him.
Exactly! His value as a prospect is legitimate, but the problem lays in the fact that he's going to get drafted in the first round with his size as the main point of emphasis. He's considered a 1st round prospect by the NHL scouting central and I've even heard some NHL scouts placing him as the top Q defenseman - above Tristan Luneau. To me, he's a great long-term project, but a bet I'd make at the end of the 2nd round/early 3rd.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Here’s my Deep Dive one of the most intriguing prospect coming out of the Q this year. More than 2000 words and 20 mins of clips on the 2022 NHL Draft eligible.

"With only a handful of top prospects coming out of the QMJHL this season, one draft eligible has been able to gain plenty of attention as a riser and potential first-round prospect for the 2022 NHL Draft.

Maveric Lamoureux quickly stands out through his thrilling physical attributes, gifted defensive expertise, and surprising mobility. The right-handed defenseman is already making scouts drool over the idea of what could be — a lengthy, defensively brilliant, puck-rushing blueliner.

But what’s the full picture with Lamoureux? Which areas of his game could allow him to succeed at the next level, and what sectors does he need to improve before ever thinking about making the jump?

To get a clearer sense of his potential and development path, let’s dig through the game of the Drummondville Voltigeurs defenseman.'"
ANALYSIS: MAVERIC LAMOUREUX IS A FASCINATING LONG-TERM PROJECT

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
This guy right here... reminds me so much of Mukhamadulin. Great size and skating, but not sure about the rest. Wouldnt be surprised if he is picked top 20 because NHL teams like these kind of guys

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Eh I think that shows how drills or tests are one thing and what happens on the ice are another.

Complete lack of puck skills or ability to handle the puck with any poise or confidence.

This guy will get picked the same way Logan Stanley did and it will end up much the same. Complete ND.

Reactions: CapSpace

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If i am the Habs i take him with the late 1st round pick. He is a bigger version of Darnell Nurse. His upside is based on his size, strength, meanness and athleticism. Downside is hockey IQ / hockey sense. But i think that can be improved with experience.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Definitely is going to be taken with someones 2nd 1st round pick or a high 2nd. Skill wise he probably should be lower but the raw tools will always have some team reach for him

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I thought that Lamoreaux was better as a 6’4 player after the QMJHL draft and it looks like he is still adjusting to his height.

I understand the upside with him however - 6’7” smooth skating defenders don’t come around too often.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Coming in at nearly 6’7″ at the recent NHL Draft Combine, Maveric Lamoureux has the type of size that makes NHL scouts drool. A first-round pick, 12th overall, at the 2020 QMJHL Draft, Lamoureux has impressed over the last two years with the Drummondville Voltigeurs. In 2020-21, his rookie season was interrupted by the COVID pandemic. When on the ice, Lamoureux impressed observers. He put up one goal and six assists for seven points in 24 games. He also played in three playoff games but was held scoreless. The Voltigeurs fell in the first round of the playoffs, losing three straight games to the Quebec Remparts.

Reactions: I am Canadian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad