RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I don't see anyone being drafted ahead of Yakupov.

Dumba is probably in the group of potential #2 overalls - Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Murray, Forsberg, etc.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
gunna be real tough

as it stands i think he's probably behind at least 4 guys in yakupov, grigorenko, forsberg and murray

if he has a killer year i could see him going as the 1st dman in the draft but im still drinking the ryan murray kool aid for now

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Will he be #1 ? Time will tell.

He definately is a talent.

I am attending the RD game tonight and certainly look forward to seeing him live again.

HumanCheatCode

Jan 15, 2010
Edmonton
Matt Dumba isn't even top 3 talent let alone number 1.

1.Yakupov

2.Grigorenko
3.Murray

/Thread

I could see Dumba and Murray being a great side story to the draft for the first defense man picked. Can't see either seriously being considered for first though.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
top 10 - top 15....top 5 is pushing it at the moment.

I dunno, he has alot going for him. Solid build, physical play, skating, offensive skills, defensive skills, leadership (captain of U-18), top minutes in all-situations for his team.

At the moment might be a good way to put it, but he has alot of things teams drool over and a month of games can do wonders for his rankings.

zeus3007*

He will almost certainly be a top 5 - 10 pick, but to have him ahead of Yakupov, Grigorenko and Murray is a bit unrealistic. Forsberg too from what I've heard, but I haven't seen him play much. Mind you, I said the same about Nugent-Hopkins.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
No way does Dumba go #1 overall, heck, he's not even the best d-man in the draft. It's a lot of hype over a kid who likes to hit, but hasn't learnt to play defence yet. He might turn out to be as good as Phaneuf, but he's smaller. So, a good prospect no doubt, but nowhere close to #1 overall

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I think it's going to be really hard for anyone to pass Yakupov this year, especially with how well Nail is playing right now. That being said, a significant number of NHL scouts and people close to them seem to have Dumba top 3 overall right now, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
No way does Dumba go #1 overall, heck, he's not even the best d-man in the draft. It's a lot of hype over a kid who likes to hit, but hasn't learnt to play defence yet. He might turn out to be as good as Phaneuf, but he's smaller. So, a good prospect no doubt, but nowhere close to #1 overall

That's debatable and even so, irrelevant.

Drafting isn't about the "current" best players. It's about projection.

It's safe to say not many players in this draft have higher potential than Matt Dumba.

At this point in time I have him still a little behind Ryan Murray as far as top WHL eligible players, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if that changes and flip flops throughout the season.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

It's safe to say not many players in this draft have higher potential than Matt Dumba.

At this point in time I have him still a little behind Ryan Murray as far as top WHL eligible players, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if that changes and flip flops throughout the season.

THANK YOU

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005

That's what i mean, Dumba doesn't project out as the best d-man in the draft. How's his body going to hold up in the NHL trying to hit like he does in the dub? Dion Phaneuf lite in my opinion, so a good prospect, but not a #1 prospect. He's already struggling this season up against other teams better players.
I think he's a #5 to #10 pick.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think Pouliot could jump up there with them by the end of the season but he might not get as much of an opportunity offensively because of Rutkowski and Morrow. However, there has been that aversion to selecting d-men super early in recent years.

Dumba is a tantalizing player because his skill set is so explosive but his decision making is still shaky sometimes and you already know it will be an issue in his transition to pros. Murray is much more polished and his calmness out there really translates to his teammates, you can see that they're confident he will make the right play out there. Dumba is much more frantic - some may call it dynamic and others might call it erratic.

It's both and that's why I say consistency is a big key for his development.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
That's what i mean, Dumba doesn't project out as the best d-man in the draft. How's his body going to hold up in the NHL trying to hit like he does in the dub? Dion Phaneuf lite in my opinion, so a good prospect, but not a #1 prospect. He's already struggling this season up against other teams better players.

That's fine that it's your opinion, I just tend to a disagree a bit and know that several NHL teams would have Dumba ranked higher on their boards then players like Murray, Pouliot or Reinhart because of raw skill and the style of game he plays.

I see him more as a PK Subban then Phaneuf, for what it's worth.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

Dumba is currently a hair over 6'.

He is only 17 years old.
Size is highly unlikely to be an issue.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Dumba is currently a hair over 6'.

He is only 17 years old.
Size is highly unlikely to be an issue.

He doesn't look 6' on the ice, maybe he is, but he doesn't look that big. Anyway, it's ok to disagree, I think he's #5 to #10, you think he has #1 potential, we'll see what the people who matter think at the 2012 draft!

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
He doesn't look 6' on the ice, maybe he is, but he doesn't look that big. Anyway, it's ok to disagree, I think he's #5 to #10, you think he has #1 potential, we'll see what the people who matter think at the 2012 draft!

http://tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9819

Already done for you

EDIT: I'm not saying Dumba WILL go number 1, he even has tough competition or 2-5 but i don't think you should discount him immediately. He has tons of tools that make him an intriguing prospect

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It's Yakupov, then a big gap, then Grigorenko and Forsberg, then another gap, then guys like Galchenyuk, Ebert, Murray and Dumba.

Would tend to agree, although I think the gap between Yakupov and the others is bigger then the gap between Grigorenko and those potentially behind him.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
How has Dumba's defense been this year?

If he can show he's a steady D-man, and add his playing style, I see no reason he can't be a top-5 pick.

I still think Yakupov is #1 though.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
How has Dumba's defense been this year?

If he can show he's a steady D-man, and add his playing style, I see no reason he can't be a top-5 pick.

If you want steady, solid all-around, and knowing what you'll get, it's Ryan Murray.

If you want standout, highly entertaining, home run or strikeout - it's Matthew Dumba.

Personally, I think Murray is so far ahead that it's become a bit unfair for him - people are starting to nit-pick at his game and pick him apart, much the same as John Tavares got in his draft year. Honestly, I think Ryan Murray is the best defense prospect I've ever seen in the WHL ... a league I've been following and scouting for nearly 10 full years. He's very good in all three zones, and doesn't appear to have any real weaknesses. He was his team's captain as a 17 year old, and has future NHL captain written all over him. I think this guy will be a legit franchise defenseman.

I won't say that Dumba cannot be all of these things, but I certainly think he's a bit of a raw project at this point. Dumba's flair and skill are certainly going to draw more attention (especially being on a better team, in a better hockey market), but I'd be lying if I said Dumba doesn't miss more of those big open ice hits than he lands, and that he often makes poor decisions and leaves himself out of position. I'm a big fan of Dumba, don't get me wrong - but if I'm building a franchise from the ground up, starting with a defenseman ... it's Ryan Murray, and it's not even close.

Matt Dumba reminds me a lot of PK Subban. Ryan Murray reminds me a lot of Ryan Suter, but with more offensive upside.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
How has Dumba's defense been this year? If he can show he's a steady D-man, and add his playing style, I see no reason he can't be a top-5 pick.

Much better this year. You can tell he knows what he needs to improve on. He is still very raw, but his skill set is top notch. Dumba is likely not going to grow much, but has a frame that will allow him to be very strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->