RD Madison Bowey (2013, 53rd, WSH)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think there's a lot of mixed feelings out there on him. He's got all the tools to be a definite top 15 pick, but I didn't get a great feeling of consistency from his game this year. Could he still go that high? Yeah, maybe. But I think he likely ends up going more in the 20's or 30's.

My mock has him going to the Leafs in round one.

There are a lot of dmen in the 25-45 range that I think can go in all sorts of spots: Bowey, Theodore, McCoshen, Bigras, Vanelli, Santini, Hagg ... probably a few others I'm forgetting. Each is a little different style, with different strengths, so I guess it will depend a little on the individual teams.

I see Bowey right at the beginning of the 2nd round.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
There are a lot of dmen in the 25-45 range that I think can go in all sorts of spots: Bowey, Theodore, McCoshen, Bigras, Vanelli, Santini, Hagg ... probably a few others I'm forgetting. Each is a little different style, with different strengths, so I guess it will depend a little on the individual teams.

I see Bowey right at the beginning of the 2nd round.

You can probably throw Mueller in the mix there as well.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Having trouble pegging this guy. Reports seem to say he's good at everything, especially in puck moving and passing, but his numbers don't bear out great offense.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Top shelf Prospects has him at 29. So a possibility that he could catch on in the late first round.

Full Scouting report: http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/09/madison-bowey-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-29/

Sounds exactly like the type of player that the Habs would pick. Plus he can take his time developing because they are jammed packed with D Prospects. I really like what I hear about him though. Sounds like he could be a great steal for a team in the second.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Any updates on Bowey this year? Looks to be doing pretty well but since I'm in Ontario, I don't get a chance to watch him.

Really intriguing prospect....

JaGrBoMbs68

Jul 3, 2013
Ontario Canada
Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2013-14 Kelowna 9 4 5 9 20 6

Hopefully he can continue to contribute and develop down in the WHL. Washington Capitals has a prime prospect in the future brewing :yo:

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah he's a great skater, so fluid, seen him live once this year and was the second best Dman on the ice to Damon Severson.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
So Bowey has been named captain of the Kelowna Rockets. VERY impressive considering how deep this Rockets team is with the older guys like Severson and Bell.

I will be at the game vs Medicine Hat next weekend and will summarize his play after.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I thought he was the best player on the ice last night. He is able to dominate the game at the junior level with his staking and physicality alone. He threw a couple big hits, scored 2 goals and overall was a very exciting player to watch.

He had a point shot that was blocked then went the other way for a goal, and the Tigers scored another goal of of his minor penalty, but his potential is sky high. He reminds me of a Drew Doughty type defenceman.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Was selected to the second all star team in the WHL western conference after a statistically good season. How has he looked this season? Any NHL comparables?

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Was selected to the second all star team in the WHL western conference after a statistically good season. How has he looked this season? Any NHL comparables?

I watched something like 10 games of his. His defense definitely needs work, he needs to stay closer to his net during the positional offense by the opposition. Maybe he'd be better off playing with a more defensive-minded partner that would clear the crease for him, allowing him to use his mobility farther from goal. However, he's good defending the rush and has fantastic shot.

NHL comparables... Looked a lot like Mike Green at times.

How effective he will be may be a question of whether or not he has a D partner that can clean up for him. Which, once again, brings us to the fact that the Caps need a relatively young defenseman on the left side that will be thinking D-first.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

Probably a poor-mans Doughty or Morgan Reilly. Even Alex Pieterangelo isn't a bad comparison to him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Probably a poor-mans Doughty or Morgan Reilly. Even Alex Pieterangelo isn't a bad comparison to him.

What is Rielly done to be considered a poor-man's player? :laugh:

VERY impressive offensive player, on par with Pouliot's offensive game IMO. Leader as well being the captain of a very good Rockets team. Still needs to work defensively, buy looking like a steal to me. He also picked up his physical game.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

VERY impressive offensive player, on par with Pouliot's offensive game IMO. Leader as well being the captain of a very good Rockets team. Still needs to work defensively, buy looking like a steal to me. He also picked up his physical game.

I meant it only for Doughty, not Reilly. Poormans Doughty. Plays a bit like Morgan Reilly.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Seph, Im interseted to know your opinion as to why he fell?

I felt he was a huge steal the moment he was drafted. Granted Im likely quite biased being a Kelowna resident, or maybe I just had the opportunity to see him more. Also, it seems to be somewhat of a trend seeing Kelowna Rocket defenceman falling farther than they should (Bowey, Severson, Barrie).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seph, Im interseted to know your opinion as to why he fell?

I felt he was a huge steal the moment he was drafted. Granted Im likely quite biased being a Kelowna resident, or maybe I just had the opportunity to see him more. Also, it seems to be somewhat of a trend seeing Kelowna Rocket defenceman falling farther than they should (Bowey, Severson, Barrie).
Three answers as how I see it,

- It was a deep draft; looking at the draft again the players are so dang close together that Bowey could have gone anywhere from 27th to his final selection in 53rd. No doubt if he was in 2014, he would be tied with Fleury as the 2nd best defenseman in this draft.

- They never thought his defensive game will be adequate enough for the NHL.

- Could have interviewed bad, which is what I'm thinking about that happened.

Seems NHL teams still haven't learned not to question the Rockets defensive factory. :laugh:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

I was really hoping the Wings would take him at 48 as he seemed like a sure-fire top 40 pick. He's definitely trending towards the steal category right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad