RD Luc Deschênes - Charlottetown Islanders, QMJHL (2015 undrafted)

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Probably back with the Fredericton Canadiens, where he'll not be encouraged to lead rushes. His family is reportedly looking for options, but the scholarship offers from good programs were not exactly flying. He did had a rough year in 11-12, with a knee injury that was obviously slowing him down all year.

where is he now?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

He's still in the 5-15 range.

He takes a lot of heat because he was over hyped. He's not awful just because he isn't living up to the over hype, still a quality prospect. This happens quite often, Patrice Cormier, Ben Duffy, Steven Anthony dealt with it as well but they weren't complete busts, they had solid QMJHL careers and 2 are pros

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
He's still in the 5-15 range.

He takes a lot of heat because he was over hyped. He's not awful just because he isn't living up to the over hype, still a quality prospect. This happens quite often, Patrice Cormier, Ben Duffy, Steven Anthony dealt with it as well but they weren't complete busts, they had solid QMJHL careers and 2 are pros

Yup, he could still be in the first round but I can't see him in the top 5 which was the question I responded to. I think the top-6 is really clear cut at this point.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
he is still in the top 5 mix.....he is playing on a freddy team that does not know how to use his talent they are pretty terrible for his development, they been holding him back from his great two way game because they are a defensive d team that does not use defenders to rush the puck or create offense which is what he does well.....so for two years now he has been held back but just recently im not sure if he agent told him to or what but he seems to be ignoring the coach and doing his own thing at the last tournament i was at and he made some great end to end rushes showing his great skill but what really lacks on him is his work ethic, interest in the game and training, he is not the most fit person, he is lazy on the ice and seems to play without passion looking disinterested most times out there and just glidding around....it is hard to say if he is disinterested because he has been in the league for so long that he is sick of it and needs a new challenge but personally his skill is not what is fadding it is his passion on the ice which is usually what happens to players who have been hyped for a long time....but there are some teams who have luc in the top three....the top 5 is never really set as someone said teams will always have different guys they like.....J Roy, N Roy, Noel, Beauvilleur, Sprong, I see not set in stone players here, J Roy is pulling NCAA route at the moment, Sprong some teams do not like his cockyness he has off the ice, Noel some teams do not like his size, so you will see players rise up Deschenes is a guy who could go top 5 in the draft.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
kid is gaining confidence. Just scored a nice goal sneaking in the backend on the PP to score his 2nd goal in 4 games. Now has a point in each of his last 4 games. Barely played early in the year, now seeing more ice-time.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
kid is gaining confidence. Just scored a nice goal sneaking in the backend on the PP to score his 2nd goal in 4 games. Now has a point in each of his last 4 games. Barely played early in the year, now seeing more ice-time.

Have you seen him play this year? Just wondering because I haven't gotten the chance yet and am interested in a report. Is he playing on the bottom pairing or has he broke into the top 4? I know it wasn't necessarily his skill level that made him drop to a third rounder but I'm hoping he can be a great Defenseman from NB.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Have you seen him play this year? Just wondering because I haven't gotten the chance yet and am interested in a report. Is he playing on the bottom pairing or has he broke into the top 4? I know it wasn't necessarily his skill level that made him drop to a third rounder but I'm hoping he can be a great Defenseman from NB.

Yeah 2nd game. I watched today against Rimouski. Watched him as well earlier in the year against Val d'Or. In the first game I watched, he barely payed. Got some time on the PP but that was about it. Not a regular yet but getting some more 5-5 minutes.

I think for today he was on every Victoriaville's first PP unit. Very good shot and good vision. Made a few mistakes being soft with the puck, can't say if it's chronic problems or just made a few mistakes today.

In the 2 games I watched him play, he got caught a bit watching the play going defensively. That said, he's not really put in defensive situations. Can't really comment on his physical play either.

I don't know if he'll ever become a great d-man but for now the size is there. With more ice-time, pretty sure the offense will come on a regular basis. Remains to see whether or not the rest of his game will follow. But I liked what I saw from him today offensively.

NBHockey

finish your checks
Jan 12, 2012
New Brunswick
Yeah 2nd game. I watched today against Rimouski. Watched him as well earlier in the year against Val d'Or. In the first game I watched, he barely payed. Got some time on the PP but that was about it. Not a regular yet but getting some more 5-5 minutes.

I think for today he was on every Victoriaville's first PP unit. Very good shot and good vision. Made a few mistakes being soft with the puck, can't say if it's chronic problems or just made a few mistakes today.

In the 2 games I watched him play, he got caught a bit watching the play going defensively. That said, he's not really put in defensive situations. Can't really comment on his physical play either.

I don't know if he'll ever become a great d-man but for now the size is there. With more ice-time, pretty sure the offense will come on a regular basis. Remains to see whether or not the rest of his game will follow. But I liked what I saw from him today offensively.

Good to see him getting it going.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
This thread is interesting. From being considered by some as a possible exceptionnal player, to being in the running for top pick alongside McDavid, Barzal and Noel, to not even getting drafted.

I guess injuries and lazyness did him in.

Oh, and Noel didn't get drafted either.

Really have got to be careful with these highly-touted 13 and 14 years old.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
This thread is interesting. From being considered by some as a possible exceptionnal player, to being in the running for top pick alongside McDavid, Barzal and Noel, to not even getting drafted.

I guess injuries and lazyness did him in.

Oh, and Noel didn't get drafted either.

Really have got to be careful with these highly-touted 13 and 14 years old.

Deschenes hype was pretty unwarranted IMO. I watched him back when he was 13 and he had a really hard shot and was already almost the same size he is now.

Still a good player who could be a pro one day but I just never understood why he got the attention he received.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad