RD Luc Deschênes - Charlottetown Islanders, QMJHL (2015 undrafted)

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I know it's pretty soon for a 1997 born prospect, but this kid is the next big thing out of New Brunswick. Only 14 years of age, Deschênes has been gathering so much attention from all Quebec Major Junior League scouts and GM such as André Tourigny and not only from the Q, but from certain NHL scouts already too.

Touted as the next big defenceman coming from the Q, and the best of the Maritimes since Luc Bourdon. Comparisons already to Brandon Gormley, but even better at the same age. His parents will eventually ask a Exceptional Player Status so he can be drafted in next year's Q midget draft.

Played at the Canadian Winter Games for NB as a 97-born, probably the youngest. Certainly a prospect to keep an eye on for the next few years:yo:

33_deschenes_mug.jpg

http://www.nbbantamaaahockey.com/scoring.htm
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.ph...file_id/158624/season_id/157703/ss_id/157699/
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/...-deschenes-suit-les-traces-de-luc-bourdon.php

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

1997 looks great with McDavid and Deschênes (I love the names with the petit chapeau haha).

Would the Anglicized version in the NHL be Deschesnes or Deschenes.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

And Nathan Noel is 1997 too right?

Nathan Noel, Connor McDavid, and Luc Deshênes.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I doubt they would add any letters to his name lol

It would be the same but without the accent

True but I know that ê means there used to be an "s" right after

JesusBouillon

Jan 29, 2009
Not really...his name is pronounced: Day-Schenn (like Braydon)

Well, if there was no accent circonflexe it would be, but with it it's more like... well there's not really a sound like that in english, but being french I'm sure you know what I mean.

Like Careme, or Bapteme.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Only articles I can find say he was eventually going to apply for exceptional player status, anyone know if he ever did apply?

BLBarmada

what did you want to know about him?

If applied for EPS....

Would he go 1s this year ?

I think him playing MidgetAAA again next year is a mistake.

I saw him this year, and he was the best D I saw in about 15 AAA games, and that's at 14.....

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
what did you want to know about him?

Curious to see what league he'll be playing in next season. I heard about Connor McDavid getting exceptional player status for the OHL, but I haven't heard anything about Deschenes.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Only articles I can find say he was eventually going to apply for exceptional player status, anyone know if he ever did apply?

Hockey Canada tries to keep that stuff confidential. Connor McDavid wasn't announced until a couple of days or the day before the OHL Draft so don't expect to hear about it yet. If the Q didn't do it for Crosby, I don't see them doing it for Deschenes (I keep calling him Duchene)

I'll be interesting to see what happens with the number 1 pick if he is granted exceptional status. Everyone says Sherbrooke is going to be taking Daniel Audette #1 and I can't see how they'd pass on Deschenes...

Last edited:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Hockey Canada tries to keep that stuff confidential. Connor McDavid wasn't announced until a couple of days or the day before the OHL Draft so don't expect to hear about it yet. If the Q didn't do it for Crosby, I don't see them doing it for Deschenes (I keep calling him Duchene)

I'll be interesting to see what happens with the number 1 pick if he is granted exceptional status. Everyone says Sherbrooke is going to be taking Daniel Audette #1 and I can't see how they'd pass on Deschenes...
Thanks, I wasn't sure if this was something where he was allowed to announce if he had applied.
I don't know enough about him to guess whether Deschenes is good enough to make it, but Halifax tried with Crosby before the Tavares rule, and it's been granted three times now, so they've definitely changed how they do things. No doubt a 15 year old Crosby would get exceptional status nowadays.

welcometothebigshow2

Mar 30, 2011
Thanks, I wasn't sure if this was something where he was allowed to announce if he had applied.
I don't know enough about him to guess whether Deschenes is good enough to make it, but Halifax tried with Crosby before the Tavares rule, and it's been granted three times now, so they've definitely changed how they do things. No doubt a 15 year old Crosby would get exceptional status nowadays.
Nathan Noel is much better than Deschenes IMO.. I dont think he gets it because there is better players his age that could get it.. I think Jeremey Roy from Quebec is better too.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Nathan Noel is much better than Deschenes IMO.. I dont think he gets it because there is better players his age that could get it.. I think Jeremey Roy from Quebec is better too.

This seems to be a popular opinion. It'll be interesting if they're both in the Q draft next season. I'd say it'll come down to team need but every single Q team needs scoring and every single Q team would love to have a franchise D-man for 2 years. I like how they both have french last names but neither are from Quebec :laugh:

hockey4life13

May 2, 2011

My son has played with Deschenes , I know the family and can tell you he has not , nor ever intended on applying.

NBfan

Jan 27, 2012
Here's hoping the hype machine slows a bit. Deschenes has great tools, but others his age are catching up to him. He looked slow-footed at the NHLPA event, and at the recent HNB u16 cap he did not stand out at all among players his own age. Remember that he hasn't played against boys his own age since atom hockey!

It's step-up time this year. If he wants it, he needs to double his effort. Needs quicker feet, needs to make better choices on when to go for the big hit. If he can adjust, he'll be in the Q next year. If not, he won't get there, and some other 1997-born Dmen will.

NBHockey

finish your checks
Jan 12, 2012
New Brunswick
Here's hoping the hype machine slows a bit. Deschenes has great tools, but others his age are catching up to him. He looked slow-footed at the NHLPA event, and at the recent HNB u16 cap he did not stand out at all among players his own age. Remember that he hasn't played against boys his own age since atom hockey!

It's step-up time this year. If he wants it, he needs to double his effort. Needs quicker feet, needs to make better choices on when to go for the big hit. If he can adjust, he'll be in the Q next year. If not, he won't get there, and some other 1997-born Dmen will.

Amen to that, I agree with you 100%. There was some talk that he was looking to prep school this year, anyone know if he is going that route or returning to the Canadians?

NBfan

Jan 27, 2012
Probably back with the Fredericton Canadiens, where he'll not be encouraged to lead rushes. His family is reportedly looking for options, but the scholarship offers from good programs were not exactly flying. He did had a rough year in 11-12, with a knee injury that was obviously slowing him down all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad