RD Liam Steele - Cornell University (2022 Draft)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Liam Steele
Position: RD
DOB: 04/21/2004
Birthplace: Cobham, GB
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 205lbs

Team: Stanstead College
College Commitment: Cornell University
USHL Rights: Chicago Steel

Here's a video where people would say "lol this would never work for him in Canada" from the 2019-20 season:

And here's a video of his highlights from a busted season in Quebec where Stanstead wasn't able to play a proper schedule... but it worked quite well for him in Canada:

Despite the limitations of this covid season he managed to earn a D1 scholarship to an Ivy league school & get drafted by the Chicago Steel in the USHL. Could see his name called in the 2022 draft if NHL teams are interested in smooth skating 6'4" 205lbs RH puck moving D.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Good size already. Elite prospects has him at 6'6? Weird. What is his scouting profile?

When you think of a 6'4" (or 6'6" depending on if EP is accurate) D-man you usually think they're a bit slow or a bit clunky with the puck but Steele is neither of those things. His skating is well above average, especially for his size, and he's at his best with the puck on his stick. Oozes poise with the puck, he's pretty much an automatic breakout whether he uses his feet or a pass. Tries to do a bit too much some times off the rush, likes to dance through defenders and go for the highlight play but given the levels he's played at he's successful at it quite often and his skating allows him to get back with ease. I imagine that's something that will be addressed in Jr & college.

I find it tough to get a good read on him defensively because he's so far ahead of his opponents. For example last year in scrimmages he was just giving up his blue line and backing off into the slot. He's gotten a lot better at it this year and his combination of size, speed, and quick stickwork make him a nightmare to try to get by, but it's not consistent enough yet. The raw tools are there he just needs to put it together. Like with the GB U20s, he may have blocked more shots than the goalies, but it's another case where he looked so far above that pace of play that it looked incredibly easy for him to get in front of shots.

It's pretty remarkable that he got himself an Ivy League scholarship with just England U18 highlights & Stanstead College covid practices. And 15 games later he's ranked 83rd in North America

Admittedly I have GB bias but I would actually want my favourite NHL team to draft him regardless. So many raw tools you can't teach

Reactions: BMann and Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
When you think of a 6'4" (or 6'6" depending on if EP is accurate) D-man you usually think they're a bit slow or a bit clunky with the puck but Steele is neither of those things. His skating is well above average, especially for his size, and he's at his best with the puck on his stick. Oozes poise with the puck, he's pretty much an automatic breakout whether he uses his feet or a pass. Tries to do a bit too much some times off the rush, likes to dance through defenders and go for the highlight play but given the levels he's played at he's successful at it quite often and his skating allows him to get back with ease. I imagine that's something that will be addressed in Jr & college.

I find it tough to get a good read on him defensively because he's so far ahead of his opponents. For example last year in scrimmages he was just giving up his blue line and backing off into the slot. He's gotten a lot better at it this year and his combination of size, speed, and quick stickwork make him a nightmare to try to get by, but it's not consistent enough yet. The raw tools are there he just needs to put it together. Like with the GB U20s, he may have blocked more shots than the goalies, but it's another case where he looked so far above that pace of play that it looked incredibly easy for him to get in front of shots.

It's pretty remarkable that he got himself an Ivy League scholarship with just England U18 highlights & Stanstead College covid practices. And 15 games later he's ranked 83rd in North America

Admittedly I have GB bias but I would actually want my favourite NHL team to draft him regardless. So many raw tools you can't teach

Thanks for the report! Sounds very intriguing. The fact that he will play for the Chiefs piqued my interest, as I can actually watch him closely.

Also, the Chiefs produced another great prospect in Dennis Cholowski. He's had some struggles but at least he's played in the NHL.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
He has a legitimate chance of cracking the NHL and becoming GB's first NHLer depending on how Kirk can recover from his unfortunate injury. Steele has all the tools. Seems to absorb everything his coaches teach him and will learn when to make breakouts and play a responsible defensive game in time. Exciting times if you are GB fan that despite the shambles of an organization in the UK we can still unearth the odd gem. Makes you wonder what we could do with an organized programme between clubs and federation with the long term goal of producing high quality players on an annual basis. Not necessarily NHLers but good enough to play in other top leagues like the SEL, DEL and Liiga or even KHL or Extraliga.

Lots of British kids in North America at this very moment. Again exciting but also an indictment on the coaching set ups of many British sides and the pathetic amount of ice time kids get.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
This kid got passed over in the draft, but there's a chance he may be taken in the later rounds this year as a project.

He struggled to get a place with the Chiefs, but has looked outstanding with Salmon Arm. He had a 1G, 1A last game.

Reactions: BMann

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
This kid got passed over in the draft, but there's a chance he may be taken in the later rounds this year as a project.

He struggled to get a place with the Chiefs, but has looked outstanding with Salmon Arm. He had a 1G, 1A last game.

He's up to 6 points in his last 6 games, starting to look like he's adjusted to junior hockey

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
His play has really taken off after the WJC D2A, where he had 6 PTS in 5 games. A lot of confidence. He also gets a ton of icetime in SA compared to the 'Wack.

Hopefully he starts getting thrown onto the powerplay soon, he has the tools to be a weapon on the PP

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
Scored his 1st BCHL playoff goal tonight. This guy loves to hit. Not ranked anywhere but I think he's worth a 6th or 7th pick. He's going to college so you don't have to decide right away to sign him.

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and BMann

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Supposed to be? Not really. He's a long shot at best.

But I thought a team would gamble a 7th rounder on a RHD, 6'6 decent skating D-man (headed to college too).
My Canucks took Aiden Celebrini... the watch is on.

Mind you if someone had said that Tyler Peddle would be the last player chosen in the 23 draft say in September of 22 I would have thought wow an all time great draft it must be.

Reactions: Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
My Canucks took Aiden Celebrini... the watch is on.

Mind you if someone had said that Tyler Peddle would be the last player chosen in the 23 draft say in September of 22 I would have thought wow an all time great draft it must be.

I was pretty shocked to see his name so low, I remember him being possibly a 1st rounder (like you said, only a year ago)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I was pretty shocked to see his name so low, I remember him being possibly a 1st rounder (like you said, only a year ago)
He seems to be a one trick pony with his shot and he can hit buy maybe lacks hockey sense?

Honestly reading some of his scouting reports he reminds me of a poor mans Jake Virtanen and not in a good way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad