RD Kris Letang (2005, 62nd overall, Pittsburgh)

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I think we've had like 6 people come in and consecutively say the same exact thing about the hype surrounding Letang. For those that fell in line, take a look at the posts above you, you're not as original as you think.

As for Letang, he's the same player he was a week ago. He's still got significant upside and will be a prime offensive defender for the Penguins in a few seasons. There's been a rash of players come into this league at a young age and people tend to forget that typically if you can make the NHL at 19 or 20 and have success, you're a man-freak. Not every top prospect has to make the team immediately. With the Pens having Gonchar, Whitney, and Sydor to play the same exact role Letang WOULD, there's no reason for him to be up right now... if the defense starts to blow up or Letang proves to be much too good for the A, then you'll see him get his shot.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
About where he should be. In the AHL putting on some muscle and getting experience. Just because the team has Crosby doesn't mean its time to rush all of their young players. They have the ability to develop them without the rush. I still think the guy has significant upside.

But where's the Penguins hype machine on these boards going into overkill to quiet this post down? Last I heard he was going to QB the PP right away and be a top defenseman from the get go. Not to mention that he was an easy dark horse for the calder.

Guess that ship might be sailing.

Plenty of talented young defensemen don't make the big team at 20. Doesn't mean the "dark horse Calder" hype is unjustified, though I don't think anybody said that Letang was going to be a top defenseman right away.

35-40 points was a reasonable expectation, and still could be.

Roy G Biv*

LOL

I thought Letang was going to be in the top 4? I thought he was already primed for the HOF?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Plenty of talented young defensemen don't make the big team at 20. Doesn't mean the "dark horse Calder" hype is unjustified, though I don't think anybody said that Letang was going to be a top defenseman right away.

I guess the Calder talk could be justified. the pens could dig up a traffic cone and sit it on Sidney's wing and it might give it a run for the Calder.

I just think Letang is vastly overrated at this point. Young defensemen playing top 2 hockey from the start is an extremely rare thing. The fact that there are quite a few significant players doing it now in the NHL is not the norm.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

There was plenty of talk of Letang stepping in and being a top defenseman right away, even taking Whitney's spot on the top PP unit.

Still Naive

May 23, 2006
There was plenty of talk of Letang stepping in and being a top defenseman right away, even taking Whitney's spot on the top PP unit.

From who, his mother?

Most realistic Pens fans expected him to step in and apprentice under Sydor on the third pairing.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Personally, I've never seen a fellow Pens fan say that Letang would take Whitney's spot and all that jazz, but if they did then they're probably the same people who want to trade Gonchar.
I'm happy they're going slow with him, plus both Scuderi and Nasreddine are better defensively then him right now. There are some people on the Pens board insisting that this means we have to sign someone like Markov which is laughable. Defensively, we're better without him right now. Not a knock on him, just being realistic. He'll definetely see time in Pittsburgh at some point, whether it's from an injury or him earning it.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
From who, his mother?

Most realistic Pens fans expected him to step in and apprentice under Sydor on the third pairing.

Seriously.

Letang was pencilled in on the third pairing with either Sydor or Eaton and on the second PP unit. Letang was never going to step in an challenge for a top four spot or first PP time.

He had a camp on par with Ryan Whitney's from 2005-06, which was enough for alot of folks around here to call Whitney a bust...Whitney spent all of 9 games in WBS before being a full time NHLer. I don't expect Letang's stay in WBS to be long. Maybe not 9 games short, but he'll be in Pittsburgh before New Year's.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
From who, his mother?

Yup and this fan is happy with the move. Playing 25 minutes a night will do a lot more than 8-10 in the NHL. Plus the AHL will get him used to playing against men.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I think we've had like 6 people come in and consecutively say the same exact thing about the hype surrounding Letang. For those that fell in line, take a look at the posts above you, you're not as original as you think.

As for Letang, he's the same player he was a week ago. He's still got significant upside and will be a prime offensive defender for the Penguins in a few seasons. There's been a rash of players come into this league at a young age and people tend to forget that typically if you can make the NHL at 19 or 20 and have success, you're a man-freak. Not every top prospect has to make the team immediately. With the Pens having Gonchar, Whitney, and Sydor to play the same exact role Letang WOULD, there's no reason for him to be up right now... if the defense starts to blow up or Letang proves to be much too good for the A, then you'll see him get his shot.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the fans at HF got it wrong, so did every other hockey publication I've read. Everyone was saying he'd be on the opening night roster.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Only thing that I see here is the usual suspects looking for something, anything, to pin some hopes on the Pens failing in some way or tarnishing whatever future they apparently are fearful of.

Most of the Pens' fans were throwing cold water on the trade Gonchar threads that a small small number started. I know that I did. The only news here is that a talented PROSPECT needs more seasoning than was thought. Does that make him a bust? Only at HF where view points about players/prospects only last as long as your last game. Score a great goal and your are a God. Give up a bad goal and you are a bust not worth a 7th rd. pick. Welcome to HF.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
when i read that a lot of pens fans thought they would send him down i figured that was the dumbest idea possible. the kid must not have been conditioning or something over the summer. either that or he will be called up within a month

Olorin

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Only thing that I see here is the usual suspects looking for something, anything, to pin some hopes on the Pens failing in some way or tarnishing whatever future they apparently are fearful of.

Most of the Pens' fans were throwing cold water on the trade Gonchar threads that a small small number started. I know that I did. The only news here is that a talented PROSPECT needs more seasoning than was thought. Does that make him a bust? Only at HF where view points about players/prospects only last as long as your last game. Score a great goal and your are a God. Give up a bad goal and you are a bust not worth a 7th rd. pick. Welcome to HF.

Only thing I see here is the usual suspect looking for something, anything, to spin this development in a positive light.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Only thing I see here is the usual suspect looking for something, anything, to spin this development in a positive light.

I do not see it as especially positive or negative. Sure, most of us wished he had started out like gang busters. He needs more time apparently. It became obvious in the preseason. What are you saying? That we should be panicking about him now? Sorry to disappoint you.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha

As much as the other Jaded is a flaming homer, he's right in this case. I also don't see anything negative in this, Letang is a young defensemen who needs seasonning. Chances are he'll make the Pens during the year and perform well.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As much as the other Jaded is a flaming homer, he's right in this case. I also don't see anything negative in this, Letang is a young defensemen who needs seasonning. Chances are he'll make the Pens during the year and perform well.

Heh. You are just pissed because just about everything I have said has come to be. But ummm . . . .thanks? for the support.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Uh, the only "talk" of Letang on the 1st PP I saw was intended to spread the wealth between the 1st and 2nd unit. That way our 2nd unit points wouldn't be Orpik and Scuderi. But what do pens fans know about the pens ....

Corban

Sep 25, 2006
Pittsburgh, Pa

Wow, really...where have I been?

I will give you that he was somewhat expected to get a spot on the team, but not one time did I read any Pens fans claiming that he would be in the top pairing. And taking Whitney's spot.....again where that hell have I been??? Not 1 time did I read such nonsense. Maybe you might have got confused when some might have said that they expect him to EVENTUALLY take over the role on the PP.

I know I know, such a great time it is, you all get to blast away at the Pens fan base and feel mighty good about it. But most of all of you look like fools. Go no further than our own GM (Shero) and you will see as to why some fans felt Kris would make the big club from the start.

Either way this is good for his development, he will be back up here soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad