RD Kris Letang (2005, 62nd overall, Pittsburgh)

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I think Matt Lashoff is boarderline -- probably on the outside looking in. He has done a great job in the AHL this year and was named to the all-rookie team and the WorldUSA all-star team. He may be in Beantown as early as next year, as he looked pretty good during his short stint with the team.

I really like Lashoff. I'd have him in my honorable mentions. Good in his own end and he's got more offensive potential than some people realize.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lee is horrible. He doesn't even belong in this discussion.

Lee isn't horrible at all. He's certainly not as good as the guys mentioned throughout this thread, but that doesn't mean the guy is horrible. He'll be a NHLer. He's still got a lot of raw skill in his body.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Lee isn't horrible at all. He's certainly not as good as the guys mentioned throughout this thread, but that doesn't mean the guy is horrible. He'll be a NHLer. He's still got a lot of raw skill in his body.

I'm a Sioux fan, dude. There's no doubt he has an absurd amount of raw talent, which is why we were so excited when he first came here, but he's got nothing up there. I've watched him make bonehead play after bonehead play. He wasn't what he was advertised as at all, other than being a great athlete. He'll make the NHL because of his upside but that does not mean he will be a good defenseman.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm a Sioux fan, dude. There's no doubt he has an absurd amount of raw talent, which is why we were so excited when he first came here, but he's got nothing up there. I've watched him make bonehead play after bonehead play. He wasn't what he was advertised as at all, other than being a great athlete. He'll make the NHL because of his upside but that does not mean he will be a good defenseman.

My only exposure to him was really at the WJCs, and I was none too impressed. Didn't know you were a Sioux fan though; nice to get the perspective of someone who watches the guy on a regular basis.

Even if it is from a Whitney booster. :sarcasm:

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Other than being the answer to the trivia question, who went after Malkin and Ovechkin in the 2005 draft, Barker has only his lofty draft status to keep him in the discussion. Oh, he is a legit prospect and not a bad player at all, but has not come along at all as any would have hoped nor has he justified the draft position. I certainly would not trade Barker for Letang straight up, and Letang being drafted in the third round and Barker number three means nothing at this point.

So being a solid defenseman playing an average of just over 19 minutes in the NHL as a 21 year old means he has lost value? Barker also broke his ankle which affected his camp/preperation to the season. I love how on HFBoards a 19/20 year old who is doing well in the minors is suddenly ranked ahead of a 21 year old playing solidly in the NHL.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I still wouldn't consider him "awful" or "terrible" or anything else. The guy gets a lot of that considering where he was drafted. I'm sure that if he was an undrafted college FA that he wouldn't be as lambasted as he is by everyone, either. He'd just be another guy who makes some mistakes.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I take it you like Chorney better?

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
letang thought he was above the q leauge this year.. he would get penalties and take forever to go to the box.. i know hes good but he didnt have to make everything into a joke

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Is the only reason Lee gets talked about and Goligoski doesnt the fact that he was drafted so much higher? From just about everyone ive talked to thats seen both they all like Goligoski better at this point.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Russel an all-around defenceman? He is in juniors, but at 170 soaking wet his only hope of being an NHLer is a Rafalski type.

Yeah, he's an all-around defenseman. Not sure what his weight has to do with that, besides not being able to physically punish people. You don't win the MVP of the WHL as a defenseman without being adept in your own zone.

Rafalski's a great projection for him.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Isn't this Russell's second top defensemen award in a row in the WHL? I really like him but he seems even smaller than the listed 5'10. Hockey smarts might give him a chance to crack the Jackets lineup. However, his size gives me a hard time to consider him as a top 5 defensive prospect. I don't think he'll be able to handle the game's power forwards.

As for Letang, he had an incredible season. In addition to a solid 2-way game, he also brings a lot of intangibles to the table. His upside is probably a no.4 defensemen with some offensive upside.

For top 5 consideration, Franson could be included on the long run. He has all the tools to become a no.1 Dman if he matures properly. I also like Kindl a lot. Great 2-way game. Finally, another one deserving consideration might be Anton Stralman. He has received a lot of hype from some european boards and seems to be the real. He was also recognized has one of Sweden's top 3 players at the WC. I've never seen him play but would like to have your opinion on him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Isn't this Russell's second top defensemen award in a row in the WHL? I really like him but he seems even smaller than the listed 5'10. Hockey smarts might give him a chance to crack the Jackets lineup. However, his size gives me a hard time to consider him as a top 5 defensive prospect. I don't think he'll be able to handle the game's power forwards.

As for Letang, he had an incredible season. In addition to a solid 2-way game, he also brings a lot of intangibles to the table. His upside is probably a no.4 defensemen with some offensive upside.

For top 5 consideration, Franson could be included on the long run. He has all the tools to become a no.1 Dman if he matures properly. I also like Kindl a lot. Great 2-way game. Finally, another one deserving consideration might be Anton Stralman. He has received a lot of hype from some european boards and seems to be the real. He was also recognized has one of Sweden's top 3 players at the WC. I've never seen him play but would like to have your opinion on him.

With all Letang has accomplished this year, I'd say that to peg his upside as merely top 4 is a gross underestimation, particularly when you single out Franson, who hasn't done half as much, as a potential #1. Apparently because he's tall.

As has been stated above, if 5'10" Brian Rafalski can make it as a #1, it's possible for KL and KR. In the new NHL, Letang and Russell have all the tools (and accolades) necessary to succeed.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Franson was an absolute monster for the first 20 games of season. His puck movement is top notch and he is able to open lanes on the power play. He displays a tremendous amount of poise with the puck and boasts a connon for a shot. He still needs to improve his skating some and his defensive positionning. One thing that I did not like was that he slowed down considerably for the rest of the season. Was it a lack of motivation playing against lesser competition? Maybe so. Might also be a lack of conditionning. Nevertheless, I still think that Franson's ceiling is higher than Letang but he has a much lesser chance of reaching it.

On the other hand, I have no doubt about Letang's work ethics. He's a solid all around player. Maybe it's just me but I don't see that extra gear in him that elite defensemen possess. I've seen a few games of Letang in the NHL and a couple of WJC games so the sampling is somewhat limited.

As for Russell, I really like his play but he needs to put some muscle on in order to not be tossed around. Some guys are not tall but solidly built. One such example is Bryan Little. He is deceptively strong. Might just be a matter of time for Russell...

Any input on Stralman, Dr Dark?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
My only exposure to him was really at the WJCs, and I was none too impressed. Didn't know you were a Sioux fan though; nice to get the perspective of someone who watches the guy on a regular basis.

Even if it is from a Whitney booster. :sarcasm:

Hey brotha, I think my Ryan Whitney manlove was justified, don't you?

Being located in Miami, there isn't much college hockey down here and a buddy of mine is a huge Sioux fan so he got me into it. Gotta love the program and those studly uniforms.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I still wouldn't consider him "awful" or "terrible" or anything else. The guy gets a lot of that considering where he was drafted. I'm sure that if he was an undrafted college FA that he wouldn't be as lambasted as he is by everyone, either. He'd just be another guy who makes some mistakes.

But that's exactly it, isn't it? To whom much has been given, much is expected. When you have the physical tools that Lee does, you've gotta perform better than he does.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Would Letang have a chance to take Whitney's spot on the top PP unit like some were claiming? Is he a that level yet?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Russel an all-around defenceman? He is in juniors, but at 170 soaking wet his only hope of being an NHLer is a Rafalski type.

Would you consider Rafalski an all-around defensman, or a one-way, offensive defenseman?

IMO, if you're a plus player for the balance of your career at any level, you're not a one-sided player. Size isn't everything in the NHL anymore...that is something that may get overplayed, but it is still very true.

littleguybigstik

Feb 12, 2006
letang in this yrs draft

need opinons to solve a bet...

where would letang be drafted this yr at his current level? my opinion, an nhl ready dman with offensive flair and takes care of buzness in his own end top 3, maybe top pick. friend opinion is top 8-10 pick.
any opinions are welcome

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
need opinons to solve a bet...

where would letang be drafted this this at his current level? my opinion, an nhl ready dman with offensive flair and takes care of buzness in his own end top 3, maybe top pick. friend opinion is top 8-10 pick.
any opinions are welcome

thats like the same thing as saying that a guy like TJ Brennan will be a top three pick in three years...hell a lot of guys would be #1 picks if they were picked 3 years later

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad