RD Josh Brook (2017, 56th, MTL)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Funny because its pretty easy to see Brook is the best player on that MJ team.
Look man i dont care to get in a pissing match over one of your prospects.

I get it you think he's a top10 pick with 1st pairing written all over him.........cool i buy lottery tickets once in awhile?

I love your optimism, but after asking several times you simply haven't given me a single reason why i should buy anything your saying other than you think he's a stud and maybe you watched him on TV a couple times and you love his junior stats ??

If you want to discredit my opinions or offer insight then offer some context. Game reviews, talent analysis, breakdown on skating skills and how they translate. I offered my opinions with context. I dont have Warriors season tickets but i do have WHL season tickets and i see him play and i've already gave context for his numbers. I hope i'm wrong i dont hate the Habs or Brook in fact i love to see Canadian kids excel.

I'll say it again junior numbers for a 19yr old have to be taken with a grain of salt. The only thing they represent in his development is that he can run a junior PP and is a top pair junior defenseman. At the next levels he will face new challenges and it may work or it may not but nothing he is doing is stand out yet?

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC

I get it you think he's a top10 pick with 1st pairing written all over him.........cool i buy lottery tickets once in awhile?

I love your optimism, but after asking several times you simply haven't given me a single reason why i should buy anything your saying other than you think he's a stud and maybe you watched him on TV a couple times and you love his junior stats ??

If you want to discredit my opinions or offer insight then offer some context. Game reviews, talent analysis, breakdown on skating skills and how they translate. I offered my opinions with context. I dont have Warriors season tickets but i do have WHL season tickets and i see him play and i've already gave context for his numbers. I hope i'm wrong i dont hate the Habs or Brook in fact i love to see Canadian kids excel.

I'll say it again junior numbers for a 19yr old have to be taken with a grain of salt. The only thing they represent in his development is that he can run a junior PP and is a top pair junior defenseman. At the next levels he will face new challenges and it may work or it may not but nothing he is doing is stand out yet?

I agree that the stats themselves are only telling of a certain level of performance in juniors, thus a bit meaningless as far as his NHL future, and Josh Brook will still have to put in a pretty great amount of work into his game to grow into a reliable defenseman (for example, his skating is pretty average right now and needs work to handle the faster pace of the NHL) but put into context they represent more than that, more than simple numbers.

It's pretty simple, combined with his prior seasons' production these stats Brook's piled up and his good two-way play over the year (at training camp in september I thought he looked better than virtually any of our defensemen aside from Petry for instance), put into context, tell of a steep incline in his play across all categories this year that is telling of his potential, as well as a drive to learn and develop that may lead to him becoming quite the NHL defenseman in a couple of seasons, hence why some of us Montreal fans are terribly high on Josh Brook.

Anyways, we'll see I guess. I sure hope he develops well though.

Reactions: sting101

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I mean, what should he do to change your opinion? Hes literally done the best a Dman has done this year.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I seriously think Brook could play in the NHL as early as next year. He's not a super flashy player, just above average in all facets of the game. A year or two in the AHL would be best for his development, however.

I think too, he was pretty good this year, when he played some pre-season games.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Do you watch these players or simply stat watch? Because while some of them would jump into the 1st round, all 8 guys wouldn’t jump into the 1st round.

I watched all of them play. I'm against stat watching only to judge a player. Too many factors to consider.

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Smith didn't have 100+points producers on his team like Brook. At one point (maybe 2 months ago), Smith had the most points on his team, Brook was never close to being the best scorer on his team. Given that Smith is one year younger and able to produce on his own, I would tend to think that Ty Smith is better offensively at least.

I think you missed my point. While I am a diehard Habs fan, I am also able to separate fact from fiction. I don't think that anyone who watches the WHL regularly feels that Brook has superior upside at the next level when compared to Smith. I mentioned that he is a year younger because that is an important factor if you are comparing the two - next year, the league will be child's play to him. Whereas Brook only started to dominate during his 19 year old season.

Smith's skating, in particular, is what separates the two - he has fantastic agility, he can separate from the man very quickly, and his edgework is the best of any player in the WHL. That is what you need in today's NHL to defend against the speed and agility of the elite young forwards now dominating the league.

I don't think either has an offensive edge, although Smith is a better passer than Brook, who is still great in his own right. Smith is just elite and that is corroborated by his 16 year old season being roughly equivalent, points-wise, to Brook's draft year/D+1 year (injury-shortened)

All that said, I'm thrilled that Brook is one of ours, and I'm really optimistic that he becomes a player for us down the road.

Last edited:

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
No debate between Ty Smith and Josh Brook.

For Montreal to have picked such a tremendous prospect in the 2nd round is a blessing and just like when PK was drafted. We need talent on our team and we hope he develops well for us and contribute for us for a long time.

Reactions: covfefe

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
No debate between Ty Smith and Josh Brook.

For Montreal to have picked such a tremendous prospect in the 2nd round is a blessing and just like when PK was drafted. We need talent on our team and we hope he develops well for us and contribute for us for a long time.

I think outside of habs homers there is absolutely a debate and this is coming from a habs fan. Ty Smith is a blue chip prospect. I believe Josh Brook is as well - but to put him on another tier when Ty Smith is already a top D prospect is silly.

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I think outside of habs homers their is absolutely a debate and this is coming from a habs fan. Ty Smith is a blue chip prospect. I believe Josh Brook is as well - but to put him on another tier when Ty Smith is already a top D prospect is silly.

I had no idea you were a Habs fan, you're sending all kinds of mixed signals with that avatar/username/location tbh

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I think you missed my point. While I am a diehard Habs fan, I am also able to separate fact from fiction. I don't think that anyone who watches the WHL regularly feels that Brook has superior upside at the next level when compared to Smith. I mentioned that he is a year younger because that is an important factor if you are comparing the two - next year, the league will be child's play to him. Whereas Brook only started to dominate during his 19 year old season.

Smith's skating, in particular, is what separates the two - he has fantastic agility, he can separate from the man very quickly, and his edgework is the best of any player in the WHL. That is what you need in today's NHL to defend against the speed and agility of the elite young forwards now dominating the league.

I don't think either has an offensive edge, although Smith is a better passer than Brook, who is still great in his own right. Smith is just elite and that is corroborated by his 16 year old season being roughly equivalent, points-wise, to Brook's draft year/D+1 year (injury-shortened)

All that said, I'm thrilled that Brook is one of ours, and I'm really optimistic that he becomes a player for us down the road.
I meant to support what you said. I agree with everything you wrote here. I do think Smith has a slight edge offensively though, but that's just me. My opinion is as good/bad as the next guy.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Not great. All of Moose Jaws stars fizzled hard. Brook, Almeida, Langan and Tracey all had a bad series. Woo wasn't bad but not great. Our depth pretty much kept us in it. Dach was skating circles around us.
Would you say that's more telling of Dach's potential/talent or did MJ made it easy for him to perform?
Thanks for the update!

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Not great. All of Moose Jaws stars fizzled hard. Brook, Almeida, Langan and Tracey all had a bad series. Woo wasn't bad but not great. Our depth pretty much kept us in it. Dach was skating circles around us.

I'm surprised to hear Brook was bad and Woo wasn't so bad. I'll admit I haven't watch any game of the series but I see that Woo and his partner Hamaliuk had the worst +/- ratio of the team with -5. Brook had 3 assist in 4 games with a +1. Was Dach all over Woo/Hamaliuk's pairing? I know they get the tough matchup.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm surprised to hear Brook was bad and Woo wasn't so bad. I'll admit I haven't watch any game of the series but I see that Woo and his partner Hamaliuk had the worst +/- ratio of the team with -5. Brook had 3 assist in 4 games with a +1. Was Dach all over Woo/Hamaliuk's pairing? I know they get the tough matchup.

Yeah Woo was glued to Dach and was handling him physically well for the most part but once Dach gets moving he is impossible to contain. Towards the last game we tried to free up Woo and put Brook against Dach and well there is the highlight goal from the Dach thread. Pretty much nobody on the team could contain Dach. Kid was a monster out there. Brook just wasn't getting it done offensively. Though all of our stars offence dried up this series. Saskatoon owned us.

Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Yeah Woo was glued to Dach and was handling him physically well for the most part but once Dach gets moving he is impossible to contain. Towards the last game we tried to free up Woo and put Brook against Dach and well there is the highlight goal from the Dach thread. Pretty much nobody on the team could contain Dach. Kid was a monster out there. Brook just wasn't getting it done offensively. Though all of our stars offence dried up this series. Saskatoon owned us.

Makes a lot of sense. As a habs fan, I keep an eye on Brook's defensive play as I don't question his offensive side of the game. Will be interesting to see how he does in the AHL as he will join Laval on saturday.

On a side note, I will have to follow Dach closely in the next round, thank you for this, appreciated!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Makes a lot of sense. As a habs fan, I keep an eye on Brook's defensive play as I don't question his offensive side of the game. Will be interesting to see how he does in the AHL as he will join Laval on saturday.

On a side note, I will have to follow Dach closely in the next round, thank you for this, appreciated!

No problem. It was a hard fought series for us and as much as I hte to say it the reffing was a major factor in this series and it really shouldn't have been. But WHL reffing makes NHL reffing look well.. professional.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
for the one who saw him play this year is he playing on the left side or right side of the ice

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Yeah we kind of used him all over the place. Only playing Wing for a game. But it was interesting to see and he didn't look out of place at all.
With the pityful offense MJ had this year, not surprised they tried him up front...:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad